Thread: This Mesmerising NASA Footage Set to a 'Sound of Silence' Cover Will Give You Chills

Default This Mesmerising NASA Footage Set to a 'Sound of Silence' Cover Will Give You Chills

This Mesmerising NASA Footage Set to a 'Sound of Silence' Cover Will Give You Chills (ARTICLE LINK)

Excerpt
    NASA's Johnson Space Center has a very active social media presence, including their amazing YouTube channel which has brought us such hits as the fidget spinner in microgravity, liquid pingpong, and this hour-long festival of Earth in 4K.

But their latest video compilation of footage taken by current Expedition 53 members is truly someting, not least thanks to their great choice of music.

Two years ago, American heavy metal band Disturbed released a dramatic, haunting cover of the classic Paul Simon piece The Sound of Silence, which quickly propelled up music charts and even earned them a Grammy nomination.

Now the NASA Johnson media team have outdone themselves by combining this beautiful music with stunning visuals captured from aboard the ISS, courtesy of Commander Randy Bresnik and flight engineers Sergey Ryazanskiy and Paolo Nespoli.

#include [std-disclaimer]

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Default Re: This Mesmerising NASA Footage Set to a 'Sound of Silence' Cover Will Give You Chi

bump yea,
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Default Re: This Mesmerising NASA Footage Set to a 'Sound of Silence' Cover Will Give You Chi

That's gorgeous.

What are you doing about it?

It's not quiet in a spaceship.

Silence means equipment failure, and immediate threat.

All those illuminated cities. We have energy to burn.

man, some of the metal bands are quite beautiful at times.

It's fun to play name-that-city from the aerials.
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    man, some of the metal bands are quite beautiful at times.
    Aside from Gojira and Asesino, this is my most listen day to metal band, lately.

It is pretty. But metal.

The video is AMAZING by the by. Thanks, Yo!

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Aside from Gojira and Asesino, this is my most listen day to metal band, lately.

It is pretty. But metal.

The video is AMAZING by the by. Thanks, Yo!

Peace,
    Robert

amazing work on the instrumentals, but that style of singing is so grating on my ears. i also just don't like it when there's zero words i can understand in a song (this applies across the board to rap, metal, etc)

amazing work on the instrumentals, but that style of singing is so grating on my ears. i also just don't like it when there's zero words i can understand in a song (this applies across the board to rap, metal, etc)
    This is as Cookie Monster as I will go. Hehe. For my money, itís Megadeth. Especially Marty Friedman/Nick Menza era...

Peace,
    Robert

This is as Cookie Monster as I will go. Hehe. For my money, it’s Megadeth. Especially Marty Friedman/Nick Menza era...

Peace,
    Robert

i listened to some megadeth. metallica was more my speed. probably too "mainstream" for serious metal fans.

i listened to some megadeth. metallica was more my speed. probably too "mainstream" for serious metal fans.
    Not at all. They defined thrash metal. Still. I like Kill Em All most of all, and check the song credits.

Lars Ulrich exists in a world of his own, but aside from him Jason and Dave are my two favorite Metallicas.

Hey. Check out Jason Newsted and The Chophouse Band. Americana stuff. Itís cool.

Sorry for the extreme drift.

Peace,
    Maybe Too Much Headbanging?

Not at all. They defined thrash metal. Still. I like Kill Em All most of all, and check the song credits.

Lars Ulrich exists in a world of his own, but aside from him Jason and Dave are my two favorite Metallicas.

Hey. Check out Jason Newsted and The Chophouse Band. Americana stuff. It’s cool.

Sorry for the extreme drift.

Peace,
    Maybe Too Much Headbanging?

kill'em all and ride the lightning... great stuff. now i'm going down the chophouse rabbit hole. i'll check back after lunch

It made me sad.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Good video.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.