Thread: Scientists Have Discovered a Grass That Tastes Like Salt And Vinegar Chips

Default Scientists Have Discovered a Grass That Tastes Like Salt And Vinegar Chips

Scientists Have Discovered a Grass That Tastes Like Salt And Vinegar Chips (ARTICLE LINK)

Excerpt
    While cataloguing a bunch of native grass species, researchers in Australia discovered that one of them tastes exactly like the flavouring found on salt and vinegar chips. And yes, they did that by literally licking their fingers.

As many surprise findings, the discovery happened by accident while scientists were working overtime late at night. In this case, biologists from the University of Western Australia (UWA) were handling specimens of the grass species in the lab.

"Someone licked their hand at some point and tasted that flavour," biologist Matthew Barrett told Lisa Morrison at ABC North West.

The grasses handled by the researchers were all types of spinifex (of the Triodia genus) - an iconic native Australian plant known for its hardiness and ability to resist even the worst droughts in the arid inland of the red continent.
    #include [std-disclaimer]

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Default Re: Scientists Have Discovered a Grass That Tastes Like Salt And Vinegar Chips

Wait. They tasted the grass and it tasted like salt and vinegar?

Default Re: Scientists Have Discovered a Grass That Tastes Like Salt And Vinegar Chips

I find it disturbing that scientists would like their hands at work.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    I find it disturbing that scientists would like their hands at work.
    It might not have been the scientists themselves who licked their own hands. The wording is ambiguous. Someone else, the caretaker perhaps, might have gone into the lab and started licking the scientists' hands...
    "Someone licked their hand at some point and tasted that flavour," biologist Matthew Barrett told Lisa Morrison at ABC North West.
    Last edited by JimD; 11-14-2017 at 12:28 PM.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

I spent a lot of time amongst the black bears on the coast last summer. When they weren't overturning rocks on the beaches and licking up the little beach crabs they'd uncovered they were eating grasses and sedges in the estuaries.

Being the ever curious sort I had to try the grasses and sedges, not that I could tell one from the other, they all look like grass to me. Most of them were just grass, and they just tasted like grass, but one of the plants that I sampled, and once I found that I liked sampled often, was glasswort.

It's also known as sea asparagus, although it never made me think of asparagus, and as it happens people have been eating it for as long as there have been people on the coast. I never ate a lot of it though, it's pretty salty. It has a tangy flavor as well, not too different from salt and vinegar chips.

It's pretty crunchy, and hollow, as you can see, like eating tubes of crunch. I think it would be a very nice addition to most salads. I never tried cooking it.

http://www.centralcoastbiodiversity....-pacifica.html
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 11-14-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Roasted seaweed chips, and guess what? They're salted with sea salt!

There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

I worked in a darkroom as a teenager. When I on e tried a salt and vinegar. Hip I was reminded of the smell of hypo.
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman