Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Magical Mystery Tour, 2017

Default The Magical Mystery Tour, 2017

I'm on tour again. This one's a business trip, but with a tropical flavour. In light of recent events, the content will be somewhat curtailed... but hey, such is life.

The second leg of yesterday's travel was a classic. This was an alcohol-free flight... although the track suggests otherwise

Flying with the princess is fun though. For the international leg, we couldn't get out of the plane until the pilot finished chatting to her. Respect is critical in this society.

We were picked up at the airport by the family's driver and got a good run through the traffic.... only two and a half hours (we were expecting four). Not that we had far to go. Traffic here, even at 8 at night is "interesting"

It was nice to sit down for a family meal, after a relaxing Guinness. Note the alcohol content. Zero. It ain't the Guinness I'm used to.

I haven't quite got the hang of the household yet. I'm having trouble figuring out who the servants and the relatives are, although, in some senses, there's some mixing of the two. The driver is Her adopted brother (I'm not going to use Her name here, after the other night's fiasco). Another adopted brothers' children are here. There's at least four servants who aren't related. At least. I could get quite used to this.

Short order of the trip is work, with a wedding on the side and a trip up to see Her mother. We'll take in Her coffee plantation too. I've been drinking it since arrival... and I'm a fan. It's an Indonesian grind though - very fine, so that it's just spooned into the cup - add hot water and drink. No straining. Don't scull the last mouthful. I don't know the story on the green coffee yet. The two end packets are brown sugar - one with Ginger

Last edited by The Bigfella; 11-13-2017 at 11:43 PM.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Default Re: The Magical Mystery Tour, 2017

So, this is green coffee, from the girlfriend's plantation

It's ground coarser than the roasted coffee. The beans are picked still green (duh!), rather than when they redden (technically called a cherry, IIRC). They are air-dried, rather than roasted.

Tastes more like a green tea to me than coffee. Not a bad drink... but I'll stick with the roasted variety. Just had a cup of that - damn fine stuff. I'll be taking some home, but not for sale.

Speaking of coffee, I've shown Kopi Luwak - or Civet Coffee - before. First drank it in Jakarta five years ago. I've got a meeting at the Kopi Luwak shop later on today. Kopi Luwak is made from coffee cherries that the civets eat. They get the benefit of the cherry flesh. We get the beans.

Before

Processed

I'm not sure of current pricing, but I seem to recall this stuff was selling for $100 a cup in New York a while back. There's been some controversy, as some suppliers have caged civets to turn it into a farmed product (battery hen egg production comes to mind). Being the sustainable chap that I am, I promise to only consume Kopi Luwak produced from free range poo.

On a side note, I produced some smiles among the staff yesterday. It seems there's more servants than I'd managed to spot. I went to pay the driver who took us to the shopping mall (buying local SIM card, getting hair cut). I thought he was Uber. Nope. 4 drivers here.

As for the local pricing.... $8.50 Aus for a 30Gb SIM card. I pay $25 a month for one tenth of that, back home. It's amazing how technology can be so differently priced.

One of the drivers was sent to grab some wine (the locals don't drink alcohol). He came back with two bottles of an Oz wine - Yellowtail. It sells for under $8 a bottle in Oz. Over $30 here. We had the shiraz last night with Padang style fish. Gotta love Padang cooking.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

This could be really good. Please continue.

That Jakarta traffic is just mental, isn't it!

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Ah, places I'll likely never see. A good vicarious hit, though. Carry on.
    So many questions, so little time.

Nice stuff Ian. Looking forward to more.
    Thank you.

Jim...
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

I will follow this with interest. It amazes me just how palatable cheaper wines can be these days.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Thanks guys. Not sure how good this will end up, as I'm not likely to include too many photos with the little lady in them.... although I've just uploaded one of her butt.

It's wet season here now and there's a thunderstorm just going over.

We're in South Jakarta, in a gated community. It's not hard to feel privileged. There's so many people who do it tough and every time we step out of our not so little cocoon here, we see it. I guess we even see it inside. I'm not used to having servants. There's not a huge amount of English in the servants' repertoire, but some have enough, with the drivers being the best. Bibik (Bee for short - Bibik is West Javanese for Auntie) is the main housekeeper... and she's obviously held in high regard.

She breaks out laughing every time I point a camera her way. She's preparing a traditional dish here (a bit like the caramel Dad used to make, but based on sticky rice, I believe) for the wedding we are attending at Cilegon on the weekend. Cilegon is at the entrance to the Sunda Straits.

Bee

One of the other servants... who is a bit camera shy because she thinks she's ugly - and I've kept the camera out of her face

An earlier stage in making that dish. They've done tray after tray of it

As mentioned, it's a gated community. Here's the princess talking with a couple of soldiers, down at the community mosque. One Army, on the left, the other marine. Oops - sorry, she's edited out

This little feline has picked up some stripes somewhere in the genetic mix

Not far from the cat, we walked along the river bank, which is the border to the gated community. Someone's got a boat down there...

Plenty of leafy vegetation around. At a guess, this is a servant picking up the kids from school for lunch

We picked this lot up at a street-side stall on the way home last night. Rambutan. For a fraction of what it costs in Oz. Got the whole lot here... and more... for what one would cost in Oz. I love this fruit basket btw

Thanks, Ian. Enjoying this.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Thanks Kevin.

Well, let's see how long this lasts. The little lady has given me permission to post an image. I guess we should prove that we're working. We had a couple of meetings yesterday... the second being contingent upon me passing muster at the first. I won't be posting anything about the second meeting... but it was good.

We met in a coffee shop. Funnily enough, the second meeting was in a restaurant that makes a feature of its wine cellar... but not a drop of alcohol was consumed. This one though, we were into the Kopi Luwak - the civet poop coffee. It's not bad, but I wouldn't buy it over the stuff from the home plantation.

Our business associate was happy to be out-blinged by the princess - but she only just managed that, given the jewelry he was wearing. This is hers though. The ruby is rather nice, but I've only seen her wear it half a dozen times or so.

I mentioned earlier how the local coffee is brewed. Literally, straight into the cup. It's a super-fine grind, a real powder.... but that's all it is, ground beans

I'll try and remember to take a better photo of that carved table - it's out back in the smoking room. Also, there's an "artwork" of hers that I'll shoot. She loves it. It's a 3D thing made out of tortoise shell. She paid a couple of thousand for it, years ago.

Final one for now... another meeting to head off to - this time with a journalist.

I saw Bee sitting on the floor chopping up corn and snake beans as we headed out for our walk. Apparently, it's tamarind soup. It was good

Well, life's interesting here. I passed on the opportunity to meet the Ambassador of a certain rogue nation, which I won't name, in a two on one due to other commitments on my part.... but now I'm being pushed to go. I've provided some input, which seemed to be well received. It wouldn't have cut it in the OzPol thread... but they're experts in there - and what would I know. Should be something to read on it in a month or so.

Tamarind soup sounds very intersting. Is it spicy?

I love tamarindo, as we call it.

I will pass on the civet coffee. Iíve had it brewed six different ways, and it never tastes any better than regular, non-pooed out beans.

Thanks for the pictures. You have a good eye for capturing images.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post

He weighed two ton at age 4. He's 9 now. There's a chance I'll be seeing him again next week... depending on some work commitments.

Does he live in Thailand? My daughter is going to an elephant sanctuary in Thailand next week.

Robert - no, the tamarind soup wasn't spicy hot. The staff here know that I've got a food intolerance issue. That said, I just copped a chili bomb in my breakfast - I thought it was another bit of snake bean in the salad. Hmm... they like it hot here. I won't be far from my 'stay alive' kit for a while after that. I'm not keen on having an Anaphylaxis attack - yet again.

Steven - no, that's in Way Kambas National Park, in Lampung province in Sumatra - funnily enough, where my girlfriend grew up - although her family is Javanese, not Sumatran. Another forumite knows someone connected to the elephant sanctuary near the city of Lampang Thailand - bit of a coincidence in naming there - although that was a few years back. If your daughter is going there, can she pop into my place in Chiang Mai and give the KTM a kick over?... just joking, it's in good hands.

Speaking of rapid changes around here.... I'm now looking to stay longer. I was due back in Sydney to facilitate a fairly contentious event - which has been delayed until the new year. There's good and bad in that... I've had a team working on it, so it's all on hold. Ugh. The girlfriend is ecstatic about it though... she's planning on visiting Yogjakarta with me now. I'd already changed both our tickets - me to go back to Oz early to facilitate the conference, her to go back for her daughter's school speech night, as she's topped one of the courses and is getting a prize. If I can get on the same flight, we'll both head back to Oz on December 13 now.

edited to add - we are travelling soon for the wedding. First day of blue sky since arrival too. Hope it lasts.

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to smell the roses we go

yeah, I know... they aren't roses, but so what

Bit of trouble in a spot that I won't name today. Saw the video on armed forces media. Interesting. Wonder if it's broken in the general media yet?

Shot above is the bride washing her mother's feet... part of asking them permission to release her to get married and for them to bless her. Same deal followed with the groom. That was the Friday afternoon ceremony, with the wedding to take place on Saturday - the religious and Javanese traditional wedding ceremony.

The next shot is part of the traditional Javanese siraman cleansing - washing away to give a new beginning for her life

After the parents, the wider family do it too

Grandparents and aunts and uncles.

I love this shot of my girlfriend with one of her brothers, after the ceremony

Finished the night, standing on a balcony with no rails - at all - climb through the window stuff - with a small bottle of Bombay Sapphire (only the second time I've seen alcohol all week). Not many touching it - and me being the only non-Muslim present.

It put the heebie jeebies up me, as the girlfriend kept walking backwards towards the edge - and a 30' drop. I had to have some stern words with her. Told her I'd throw her back through the (open) window if she kept doing it.

The whole show kicked off again at 6am - with ceremonies starting at 9ish

Here's a couple more shots from yesterday. Today's will get here eventually

Mother and daughter

My feet... oh, my feet. I started the day in size 45 Javanese style formal shoes... a sandal really, but I take a 48... and I has hanging a couple of inches over the back, with the heel of the sandal carving me up something fierce. I eventually changed to my own shoes.

It took four guys to dress me - and a few safety pins and a bit of rope. The gold-braid jacket was a tad small too - or rather, I was a tad large for it.

Let's kick off with the groom arriving - his parents escorting him in

Led by traditional Javanese dancers

No tears from the bride today

The bride's mother is one of my girlfriend's sisters. The girls were heavily made-up, in what she told me is Solo style. I'm not a fan of the ginormous eyelashes, or the makeup style... and the hair is something else.... but, it's the traditional style and it's good to experience it

The first ceremony was the Muslim wedding, followed by a traditional Javanese wedding. Lots of symbolism, which I can explain if anyone's interested.

Very colourful. The fabrics are spectacular. Sorry about your sore feet.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Haha. Iím a size 50! I feel your pain.

The costumes rival any Iíve seen. I thought Hmong had colorful weddings! Just absolutely beautiful.

Thank you for these pictures. Any more of the great traditional costumes? They really are lovely.

Peace,
    Robert

is there an indonesian equivalent word to gringo?
    just curious. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Both sets of parents are on stage for the ceremony... and are involved for various parts of the service

Once they're married... they are centre stage all day

How did I get this far without a selfie?

Or two - I needed some repairs during the day, and the girlfriend's brother helped out

The family is a great group. My apprentice mother in law is 85 and still with it. The eldest son died about nine years ago and one other is missing from this photo (he's here... and I have him in other photos. I might try and splice him in at some stage). The two kneeling are adopted. Quite the family really... and growing up, there were 23 servants. The father was highly respected and during the troubles in the mid 60's, he took in many that would have been killed by the army (it's believed about a million were killed - some saying three million dead). Because they were his servants, the army wouldn't touch them, out of respect for the father. He saved their lives.

Equivalent to "gringo"? Not that I've heard. They are a very respectful culture. Certainly, there is in mainland Asia with Falang (sometimes Farang)... and the Chinese have a word or two.

As one of the elders and due to being with my girlfriend, I've had the back of my hand kissed / touched to the forehead of those I'm meeting, etc so many times it's becoming second nature to me. I'll be disappointed when I get back to Oz and people don't kiss my hand like a Cardinal gets. Not really.... but it's certainly interesting.

More costumes. The vocals.... much more pleasing to look at than the band who were behind them

See what I mean - here's the keyboard player, although, I was concentrating on the girlfriend (and yes, we danced too)

I took a lot of photos... but ended up being in just as many. As she says... 'pity you're so ugly'.. Such is life. She must like something about me (and no... it ain't money. She could buy me multiple times over)

Here's another of the symbolisms. They've just torn a chicken apart. I presume it's about sharing... but he got the lion's share

.... oh, speaking of ugly... I make sure she know's she's no rose petal either

Just a couple more from the wedding. But first - one that I couldn't bring myself to take. We were all staying in a hotel that used to be owned by the province's Governor. He managed to get himself sent to prison for corruption.... and died three months after release. Now owned by his son. The wedding party - and the siblings of the bride's mother, and their children were all on one floor - taking the whole lot of the accommodation. Including the bride and groom. He came out for breakfast the morning after, wearing a "3 Second" tee shirt. Like I said... I couldn't bring myself to take it. If you don't get it, don't come to me looking for the answer....

Here's a shot of the religious (Muslim) part of the ceremony.

Close relatives off to the sides

This is about the only shot I have that shows another important part of the formal Javanese dress we were wearing. The kris. On a side note, it was the kris that led to the development of the Colt M1911, but let's not digress. I was chastised by the girlfriend, more than once during the day, for not wearing it right.

I think I mentioned the trouble I was having with the footwear... illustrated here, with some of the apprentice brothers in law and the son of an apprentice sister in law. I'll need to get some made. The largest size available was a couple of inches too short

Please extend my best wishes to the bride and groom for a long, loving, happy, and prosperous marriage.

Seriously, one of the most elegantly costumed weddings Iíve seen.

By the by, I think She likes you because you look so cute in those hats.
    Please allow me to extend my best wishes to the two of you as well. I wish you many years of joy together.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Please extend my best wishes to the bride and groom for a long, loving, happy, and prosperous marriage.

Seriously, one of the most elegantly costumed weddings Iíve seen.

By the by, I think She likes you because you look so cute in those hats.
    Please allow me to extend my best wishes to the two of you as well. I wish you many years of joy together.

Peace,
    Robert
    Thanks Robert. I shall do.... although, we're back in Jakarta now, for the next round of business meetings. I think we start again at 2pm today. Gentlemen's hours.

I'm a tad fragile though - not from alcohol, but I'm a bit damaged by all the spicy food for three days - I love it, but I developed an intolerance back in 2000 (believed to be from a tick bite). Haven't had to resort to the Epipen... but I have four of them within reach. Breakfast today - Bibik's normal great spread - but I had plain white rice.

Bibik and the rest of the household and business staff were all driven down to the wedding btw. I tried to estimate how many were at the wedding. Less at the religious service, more at the Javanese part... and based on the number of dinner plates on the two food lines... near enough to 2,000 people.

The official photos won't be out for two months, so the family were tickled pink that I had mine online

Thanks for sharing Ian.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

My pleasure.

Unusual day today - work. Got a 72 page detailed project outline - in English and a 20 page presentation in Bahasa - and a couple of hours to work out how to deal with it. Apparently our answers were right. Now to raise USD 5 billion. Bit of work to do before that happens. Shouldn't be too hard. We had a long hard chat about US and UK legislation with regard to naughty behaviour. Read them the riot act about getting arrested if they ever land in either country if there's been a sniff of it.

This meeting was to replace the scheduled meeting we had with the President of a major organisation - given we'd already passed muster at the Exec Director level. He was playing a round of golf on Saturday, in Bali... and had a heart attack. Gone. Six years younger than me - fit looking too, not overweight at all. Too much of that going around lately for my liking.

Celebrated after the meeting in a western style bar. Couple of Guinness.... and a run-in with an ugly Pom. Must've weighed well over 300 - maybe 350 or more. I saw him mauling one of the barmaids. It wasn't that kind of bar and it isn't that kind of country. A bit later, he came over to the very attractive female marketing manager in our group - dressed conservatively in western business dress and asked her if she'd like to touch his nipple. Not a smart move on his part. He just missed a night in the clink. He was evicted on the spot though.

Felt a bit guilty on the way home. Got here at 8:30 - but asked the driver along the way where he lived. Bogor. Holy crap.... that's a lot of driving and commuting in a day. He'll get to see his son for an hour though.

Photos another day

How about a couple more from the wedding venue / local area.

Gotta love the local mini buses. They all sport wings of various shapes and sizes. One even had nice pink and green wheels, but I didn't get a good shot of it.

... and whatever that mascot thing is... it's a tail on it.

The table in the foyer was a massive carved tree trunk. Some parts of the animals were added carved resin... but overall it was quite a feature

There were carvings either side of the door too. This is the smaller of them

Even the bedheads and wardrobe doors were carved

A couple more of the table and chairs. I don't think I posted these earlier

Red face Re: The Magical Mystery Tour, 2017

I like this one the best....lol.

Last edited by Domesticated_Mr. Know It All; 11-21-2017 at 05:59 AM. Reason: pull my finger
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Great pics, Ian. What a wonderful wedding.

Thanks for those, and your other travel threads. I always find them interesting.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Great pics, Ian. What a wonderful wedding.
    I almost missed the first day of the wedding. The option was a two on one meeting with the North Korean Ambassador, with me getting to the wedding after dinner on the first day. Probably better that my input on NK was before that meeting, rather than face to face. I might not have been appropriately diplomatic.

We had the hotel to ourselves on the Saturday, but some interlopers turned up while we were having a late breakfast on Sunday

We'd had a Saturday night swim, the girlfriend and I. A couple of others came down and dangled their toes in. I suspect that swimming isn't a widespread sport. My girlfriend can't swim... I've always had to tow her around pools... as I did here. The pool wasn't warm... but it sure wasn't cold. We were joined by a hunting bat who stuck around, so I presume was doing OK.

Heading back, late Sunday. The driver said this was Gunung (mountain / volcano) Pinang, but I suspect it's actually another, much larger volcano, further to the south. Pinang is only 77 metres tall... I'd better credit the girlfriend for this shot... or get into trouble

Speaking of Gunungs, Gunung Agung, on Bali is finally erupting. Not my photo... from local news

Not too much of a problem if the ash cloud stays that low, although our return flights do transit through Bali. I'm about to change mine (again) as the event I was due home to facilitate has been delayed until next year. I'll probably stay until mid December.

Another late add from the wedding. I snagged a chair a few times, given my dodgy knee... and at one stage a refreshment pack was passed around. A couple of sticky rice dishes, wrapped in banana leaves; the food that was cooked in "our" kitchen; and a jelly sweet. There was always plenty of water around too

Speaking of "our" kitchen... it's not yet 5 am and I can (just) hear activity.