Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Magical Mystery Tour, 2017

Default Re: The Magical Mystery Tour, 2017

So is this the parents of the bride:

I'm saying nothing about who the bride's family are - but no, as far as I'm aware, not related to him.

I was asked if I'd like to meet the President though.... and I said 'not yet'.

Meanwhile.... not my photo, but this was Bali's Gunung Agung a few hours ago

I was scheduled to fly over that this week... definitely confirmed here until Dec 12th now.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Against what I'd been told this morning, come this afternoon and we were mucking around with boats. Real ones.

Yeah, big wooden boats. Largest is 200' with a 40' beam. This isn't it... it was right up the other end... and the sun was well gone by the time we got to it

I love the way my phone can bend boats....

This one is the 200' boat

... and this, ladies and laddies, is what sea level rise looks like (or, it could be sinking land.... but let's run with the former)

To put that into perspective, these are the old docks of Batavia... and these are the warehouses that held spices being exported to Europe all those centuries ago

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

It doesn't look it... but it's quite a climb up there

and when you get there.... I don't think it'll make one of Paul's BSE threads

The blue auxiliary was running. Damn warm in there. It'd rained heavily earlier in the afternoon, so the humidity was right up too. All the boats are running Japanese engines. Max hp among the fleet is 420, apparently. Only one company (boats are company colour-coded) is running with sails still.

Not the best looking sails I've seen

A quick and dirty video of the docks

Wonderful photos, Ian, thanks for sharing.

Ralphie

Thanks Ralphie. I'll see if I can get some more happening.

Meanwhile, you have to laugh. Out to dinner tonight with a friend of a friend.... and who do you think SWMBO ends up chatting to. The Russian Ambassador. I told her that she's fired, because she didn't get his business card.... but she reckons he'll remember her anyhow.

I tried to sneak a photo.... only ended up with his car. Lots of interesting characters there from the 'stans and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Thanks Ralphie. I'll see if I can get some more happening.

Meanwhile, you have to laugh. Out to dinner tonight with a friend of a friend.... and who do you think SWMBO ends up chatting to. The Russian Ambassador. I told her that she's fired, because she didn't get his business card.... but she reckons he'll remember her anyhow.

I tried to sneak a photo.... only ended up with his car. Lots of interesting characters there from the 'stans and the like.
    Haha. I say ‘stans, too. Haha. My good friend is from Pakistan, and he finds the ‘stans thing hilarious. He thinks it’s especially funny that practically nobody from any ‘stan would ever be NAMED Stan. Me too. Hehe.

Peace,
    Fake News

There's been plenty happening here. I'll update at some stage.

I'll throw in this photo from FB tonight. My hostess's husband brought out his man jewelry boxes and gave me a couple of pieces (the ring on my little finger and the neck pendant - which my girlfriend is chasing, but she can't have)

Here's a couple from the markets today. I wanted that hat... and some batik shirts (size being the issue). Got some, plus a suit for my son's fiance's nephew... who's five - to wear to their wedding. Three piece suit, dress shirt and bow tie - $30

I picked up some labels as a bit of a joke too. I doubt I'll even get around to sewing them in

All genuine - of course.

Here's a bit of the crush at the markets. Just above and right of centre, you might notice a helmet... yeah, a guy riding a scooter through here

My girlfriend was pretty upset at the kids begging at the market. I didn't see this particular kid begging, but that's probably why he's here. Hard to see. Centre of photo, you can see some mis-shapen bare feet either side of the guy wearing jeans. That was a kid pulling himself along the ground... flip-flops on his hands. The ugly side of the third world

On a happier note, eating some salak in the car on the way home was nice

Let's start at the end, eh? They fed me - at a street stall - Lamb Soup, a la Batavia tonight. It's got the lot in it... and they made sure I got the nuts. Testicles, that is, balls....

After getting that out of the way.... let's refresh

So, the brief today was to visit the Kalibata Heroes Cemetery, to see the grave of her uncle, an Air Force Captain who fought the Japanese and then the Dutch during the Independence struggle.

It's well maintained and quite impressive

We had the sister's two kids and the bridal couple with us

There's a helmet on every grave... and not one of them is bolted down.

As a matter of interest, I think the lamb soup was more palatable than the special dessert. It had avocado, jelly, etc, etc... and I won't be ordering another

Back to the cemetery. Following tradition, after prayers, we did the water cleansing ritual. Water is very important in this faith

Speaking of faith, there's Christian and Hindu sections too. I believe that after WW2 ended, about 3,000 Japanese stayed on and fought for Indonesian independence, with a third dying... and some are buried here.

Traveling with this woman is downright weird at times. So, today, we're off to buy wedding rings. Yeah... got that done, then some jewelry design for her sister, getting some amethyst reset... the girlfriend discovers she's missing a diamond - nah... I didn't get the blame... she's been wearing them for three days straight, so figures it was the shower... or something. A search of the shower was entertaining, but fruitless. We eat - all six of us - sushi - pushing the bill into seven figures (ie just over $100).... get home to a message. A politician wants to catch up - now. Off to a restaurant - stayed on juices - talked for a few hours... picked up by the driver and "she" wants some Jamu. Been talking about getting it for days.

So - I've read up on Jamu. Wiki to the rescue... and, forgive me Scot, for I hope I don't cross the line here. Honest... this is straight from wiki:

Despite jamu's popularity throughout Indonesia, it seems that jamu culture is most prevalent in Java. The jamu herbal culture is prevailing in Javanese royal courts of Yogyakarta and Surakarta; where the ancient books on herbal medicine is kept in royal library, and jamu medicine is prescribes to royalties and nobles in Javanese keratons. According to Javanese tradition, the famed beauty of putri keraton (princess and palace ladies) are owed to jamu and lulur (traditional lotion).

There's lots more here but it's the next bit, which she refuses to confirm or deny, that had me nearly wetting myself in anticipation.... to see if she scored any of these variants:

There are a few non-health related uses for jamu, among others, those which are used to enhance sexual pleasure rather than specifically cure illness. There are kinds of Jamu to increase sexual stamina for men, tighten the vagina for women (with names likeSari Rapat (“Essence of Tightness”), Rapat Wangi (“Tight and Fragrant”),and even Empot Ayam (“Tight as a Chicken’s Anus”). Because of Indonesia being a Muslim country these products are considered only suitable for married women
    - so I guess that means no.

Anyhow... the trip to town was fruitless. No chance of any chook's bums here tonight. The Jamu seller isn't open on Sundays. Me, being the intrepid explorer that I am, well, I've offered to borrow the servants' scooter tomorrow and take her back there, as we won't have any business meeting early in the day.

The weird isn't over yet. We're nearly home again - and it's well after 11pm... so we stop at some street vendor near home. "I want to learn how to cook, (pretty sure it was) mie goreng properly". In we go - her dressed to the nines... and next minute she's at the wok with the 'chef'. He cooked one with her watching and taking notes.... and we ate it while she cooked another and he watched. Fed the four of us (the driver's fiance had come with him to get us). Also brought home the one she cooked. He charged $5 - but she gave him $10. She's going back for more lessons tomorrow night. So - there's a tip for Asian traveling - don't pay big bucks for a cooking course... learn from the guys who do it best anyhow.

...... and I felt guilty ringing the gate bell after midnight. That poor girl will be up again at 5am or before.

Photos later... maybe. The girlfriend is upstairs sewing with the sister. They've sewed up a storm since we bought up big on fabric the other day. Sold by the kilo, rather than the metre.

Here's one from today... a building that I really like the look of

... and cooking up a storm... at midnight, on the footpath

I spotted a bike heading up over the pedestrian overpass on the nearby railway line yesterday, so I took a walk down there today.

Found this little critter on the steps. He's about a foot long... maybe a tad more. It's his right eye you are looking at here. I got another shot of him a fraction of a second later... but he was moving his head rather rapidly and it's all blurred. Quick fella. We're to the left of the Wallace Line... so a tad different to what we get in Oz

A bit of trainspotting from the overpass

That's a pedestrian crossing on the track - just this side of the train on the left. IIRC it's a $5000 fine for crossing tracks like that in Oz. Something silly anyhow.

The girls don't show the slightest bit of interest in riding these trains. There's cars and drivers on staff. Who'd catch a train?

So - scooters on the overpass? Yeah. It's built for pedestrians and scooters. Great idea. I didn't see anyone ride it two-up. I would on the big bike... but I guess the scoots are a bit under-powered.

I showed the girls their photos at the top... to giggles from both. Nah. Don't know them... but everyone's friendly here.

Old Mate's wife had to walk, while he rode

One coming the other way

Gourmet treats from the sushi restaurant yesterday

Well yes, I've eaten kitty before.... but not yesterday

So, the small and the large of caviar. Shrimp roe and salmon roe

... and back at the house... these lads have been at this for over a week now. Paint stripping. Ugh

Ian, have you any idea why Indonesia drives on the left? Most colonies AFAIK drive on the same side as the colonial power. Holland drives on the right.
    I was last in Indonesia in 1976, so it's been a while...
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    Ian, have you any idea why Indonesia drives on the left? Most colonies AFAIK drive on the same side as the colonial power. Holland drives on the right.
    I was last in Indonesia in 1976, so it's been a while...
    The Dutch arrived here in 1596. In those days, they drove on the left in the Netherlands. Napoleon switched them over to the French standard of driving - on the other side - but the Dutch colonies (eg the East Indies and Suriname for two) remained driving on the correct side of the road.

1976 would have been interesting - not too far along after the communist purges. I'm getting more informed on all that as I go along. My girlfriend let it slip yesterday that one of her uncles was a fairly well known three star general, and subsequently Minister, back in Soekarno's time - but he avoided the nastiness back then. She wants to find his grave too.
    Last edited by The Bigfella; 12-04-2017 at 08:32 PM.

Let's ride into town, she says. Sure... Got a bike? So, adopted brother Nunuk provided his. A relatively new Yamaha 150. He dropped it off last night and she says... let's go... just around the block. Hmm. Shorts, bare feet, no gloves.... new bike - what could possibly go wrong. Turned out fine and I still have all my toes.

Of course, we'd only been to the Jamu place late at night - as passengers, so we were relying on my phone GPS.... and guess who. I'd sworn about a month after we met that I'd never have her as a navigator again, if we were to have sanity in our relationship. Today was insanity. Traffic heading in today was reasonable.

We spent an inordinate amount of time at the city end, trying to locate the street - something for which I can't take credit. Must've damn near doubled the mileage going in. "Turn there" doesn't work when you are already 10 metres past an intersection. "Look at this" doesn't work in Asian traffic - one looks to stay alive, not at GPS screens being held in front of your face. Anyhow... we got there... suffering heat effects.

We shared a Jamu specifically for restoring people in our condition. Quite a rich juice concoction. A couple of minutes later, I notice my arms looked pretty weird. They were sunburnt - but there was a white mottling through it. I don't know if it was a reaction to whatever was in the Jamu, or not... but I didn't try any more. The 'tighter than a chicken's anus' variety was on the menu... or something similar to it... but whether any was consumed or not, I couldn't say.

I did enjoy a nice chicken rice porridge meal there, for lunch.

And I risked a Javan 'beer'. I'l look the ingredients up later, but it is zero alcohol... and doesn't taste anything like beer

So, Jamu is all about herbs, spices and the like.

That's dangerous territory for me, with my food intolerances. Mention of salicylates drew a blank look. Acid got a nod... so I had a few bottles of water to replace lost fluids.

The store was well decked out.

Sorry... should've used the flash

Real spices too

Look - do you know what these are? Yep.... It's a couple of mortars, missing their pestles. Yep - that's what we used to use for rice

Speaking of which, I must pull out the photo of the mortar and pestle that Bibi uses in the kitchens here (yeah, two - an inside one, where most of the cooking is done, and just out the door - an "outdoors" one - part of the house, but with an open wall, where most of the prep is done, usually with Bibi sitting on the floor. Her mortar is a shallow dish and the pestle is like a large comma shaped rock - both very coarse.

Nice orchid in the parking lot at the Jamu shop too

So - more fun and games - we wanted to go 5km to a market to pick up some prescription glasses. Ugh. It shouldn't have been hard. One corner. Just one. Ugh. Next time - handlebar mounted GPS only. And silence.

Note that nearly everyone on bikes here wear long sleeves. I'll get to that.

Also, note that all empty spaces are filled. Leave a fraction of a space and someone else will fill it. If the road is two lanes wide, the cars will be three abreast. Always. If they stayed in the two lanes, the bikes would be gone and traffic would flow faster, but no.... it's take every inch, always.

Realised after we'd parked that I didn't even know the bike rego number.... but, lesson learned hard, I took a photo of where I'd parked.

Picked up the glasses. Some old ones with new lenses and this pair of Oakleys specifically for the bike. Five interchangeable faceplates and prescription underneath. Glad I took a photo of them to remember them by. She'd lost them within 2 km on the bike. Took them off and tucked them down her shirt. Gone. Not cheap either. It's bound to be my fault

Scored some leather stuff too. Mont Blanc, no less... or at least that's what it says. It's time I moved my "stay alive" kit into something a bit nicer

Pretty girl at the glasses shop. Ibu (think Mama San) sent her on an errand when she saw me take her photo. I took one of Ibu too... but I won't burden you with that

So - back on the bike. Do my best to memorise the way home from the GPS.... get 2km down the road, get told to do a U turn. Then get told to do a left turn, back near where we started. That's when I pulled over and we discovered the glasses were missing. Somehow, she's programmed a new destination into the GPS. Fix that, do another U turn and head for home again.

Jakarta has traffic problems. You may have noticed that. One of the solutions is to have dedicated busways.... like this one

Some sections have gates, with a guy manning them. Shut - and then open as a bus comes along. Oh dear.

We are reasonably close to one of the Army HQ buildings... and also have a general or two living close by. I like seeing oldies like this still preserved

Speaking of generals. This Provost didn't like me snapping his photo... hit me with a siren blast

I'd already narrowly avoided a discussion with the cops. Something to do with my traffic guidance assistant. Go straight... no go there. Oops, I think go there.... and I followed an SUV into that "go there"... and the cops nabbed him. I suspect it was one way - the other way. Who'd know? The cops were waving their traffic violation book at him... looked at me - and did nothing to us.

I should have worn long sleeves.....

Well, there's one for the books. Out for dinner with our business partners tonight and I managed to get run over on the way there. Nothing bad, just a damn SUV that ran over my foot in the traffic. Feels like a light sprain rather than any crushing. Quite funny really. I'll keep my feet closer to the bike in future. Wild ride, following one of the drivers who was leading us to the restaurant, about 15km away. It was a wild ride for sure. He didn't miss a single inch of open space. Made overtaking opportunities where there were none

I'll upload some more photos over the next few days. I'm home. Had to head straight over and help out the ex... she got out of hospital yesterday, from another knee replacement and was having a hard time of it today - vomiting and headaches. Got her to the doctor and she's sleeping. I'll have a look through the rest of the photos too.

The flight home was "fun". We missed it. We got caught in a real snarl on the way to the airport - taking 3 hours to do the 36 km, with the first 4 km taking 2 hours alone. Help was called... and the fixer had us on a flight to Bali that got us there only 45 minutes later than planned. We had a lovely meal there with a Balinese friend of mine and his daughter... and then did the 'red eye' back, leaving at 1am (an hour after my visa expired) and landing at 10am in Sydney. A 7 hour flight - it was the emptiest plane I've ever flown on - due to the volcanic eruption. People are avoiding Bali at present. The plane would have been less than 20% full - much less. Everyone had a row to themselves to sleep on - although I didn't bother.

We flew back over the red centre of Oz. This area is on my bucket list. I've wanted to ride the Simpson Desert for a while now. We flew right over it. Easy at 41,000' or so. The scenery didn't change for the half hour I was watching it - and I don't know how long it had been like this. Apparently endless sand dunes