Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian bots going after Keurig

Default Russian bots going after Keurig

From the Newsweek article:

On Twitter the hashtag #BoycottKeurig is now number one in overall hashtags promoted by 600 accounts connected to Russian influence efforts tracked by the German Marshall Fund. The hashtag #standwithannity and the variant #istandwithhannity, #boycottkeurig, and #keurig are among the top trending hashtags promoted by these accounts.

http://www.newsweek.com/sean-hannity...protest-709128
    Last edited by StevenBauer; 11-13-2017 at 09:41 AM.

Default Re: Russian bots going after Keurig

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    From the Newsweek article:

On Twitter the hashtag #BoycottKeurig is now number one in overall hashtags promoted by 600 accounts connected to Russian influence efforts tracked by the German Marshall Fund. The hashtag #standwithannity and the variant #istandwithhannity, #boycottkeurig, and #keurig are among the top trending hashtags promoted by these accounts.

Not surprising.

I've said it before and I'll say it again : I really think that we are at war with the Russians - we're just not smart enough to realize that we're being attacked as they seek to enrage and divide us as a country.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

We might as well get used to saying it: 'Dosvedanya, comrade'.
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

Corporations will screw anybody to make a buck.

What a crazy world. Hannity getting Russian support for defending Moore. Has Trump tweeted anything?

As for "war against the Russians", remember, our Commander In Chief is a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    As for "war against the Russians", remember, our Commander In Chief is a moron.
    Hard to forget.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    Not surprising.

I've said it before and I'll say it again : I really think that we are at war with the Russians - we're just not smart enough to realize that we're being attacked as they seek to enrage and divide us as a country.
    You are pining for a time when British, Americans, Germans owned nearly every aspect of the Western economy, the global drug trade, the means of production, and the state of political stability that made it possible to conduct business.

Kleptocracies have no borders, only business relationships. The same folks who own and control most wealth, oil, gas, food, drugs, gambling, and weapons also are the major investors in Facebook, Google, Apple, Comcast, AT&T and nearly every other US based business entity you can think of. We really live in a new world order that is above borders save for some rouge nations who don't want to give up/open their markets.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

I could see this could be a problem for Keurig. It would make sense that quite a few Baggers use these things to make coffee.
    Study Peace

I'm not a fan of boycotts, myself.

My only comment about Keurig is that I think it makes really lousy coffee. Every morning, my wife uses it... but I go over to Dunkin' for my morning coffee
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

It is remarkable, isn't it? The anger on the right is amazing to me.

Sadly, I'm not a big Keurig fan because they generate needless land fill for the inexcusable sin of making bad coffee, but I may have to send them a few bucks just to say thanks.

Also, I am a fan of boycotts. It's the best way to have your vote heard in corporate America.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    You are pining for a time when British, Americans, Germans owned nearly every aspect of the Western economy, the global drug trade, the means of production, and the state of political stability that made it possible to conduct business.

Kleptocracies have no borders, only business relationships. The same folks who own and control most wealth, oil, gas, food, drugs, gambling, and weapons also are the major investors in Facebook, Google, Apple, Comcast, AT&T and nearly every other US based business entity you can think of. We really live in a new world order that is above borders save for some rouge nations who don't want to give up/open their markets.
    No, not really.

What I'm seeing is that we have a Kleptocracy that is taking advantage of the incompetence of our current administration, and the current administration thinks it is to their advantage - which it may well be in the short term. In the long run, it is to the advantage of the rogue nation nation in question to keep all of its opponents off base as it really doesn't have the means to impact these adversaries in other ways. If you've not been watching the creep going on in Eastern Europe, and the division fostered elsewhere, you're not paying attention.
    -William A. Ward

I still have trouble with our “right” leaning “patriots” getting their news from a foreign owned ideological entity like Fox News. Why do they listen to an un-American guy like Rupert Murdoch? Could one of our righties try to explain this for me?

I still have trouble with our “right” leaning “patriots” getting their news from a foreign owned ideological entity like Fox News. Why do they listen to an un-American guy like Rupert Murdoch? Could one of our righties try to explain this for me?
    Fox News says what they want to hear.
    Elect a clown expect a circus

In addition to Keurig, four other advertisers confirmed on Twitter over the weekend that they will not be running TV ads on the “Hannity” show: Eloquii, a plus-size women’s clothing company; 23 and Me, a DNA genetic testing company; and Nature’s Bounty, a vitamin manufacturer.
    Maybe we can hope they'll stop taking vitamins & then we won't have to deal with them for as long?

I must admit that I have trouble getting my head around the "family values" folks being ticked off about not supporting someone who supports a person who seems to specialize in inappropriate relationships. But then I guess I'm just trying to apply logic where none exists.

Finally - while wasteful (unless you use the reusable containers) - they don't make awful coffee. Not the best certainly - but by no means awful.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

No No No Steven. Rupert has been an American Citizen for quite some years now, the price of being allowed to own Fox.
    And we do not want him back despite our conservative PM calling him a 'great Austrlian' largely to curry favour.

No, not really.

What I'm seeing is that we have a Kleptocracy that is taking advantage of the incompetence of our current administration, and the current administration thinks it is to their advantage - which it may well be in the short term. In the long run, it is to the advantage of the rogue nation nation in question to keep all of its opponents off base as it really doesn't have the means to impact these adversaries in other ways. If you've not been watching the creep going on in Eastern Europe, and the division fostered elsewhere, you're not paying attention.
    The Creep moves faster when it is welcomed bearing cash, bitcoins and Wharton graduates who want to make the next big deal. Diversified investment positions with real estate holdings, bedrock social media technology stocks and international financing options with rapid transfers are all part of this very tangled Kleptocracy.

Kremlin Cash Behind Billionaire’s Twitter and Facebook Investments.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/05/w...er-russia.html
    Leaked files show that a state-controlled bank in Moscow helped to fuel Yuri Milner’s ascent in Silicon Valley, where the
    Russia investigation has put tech companies under scrutiny.

Ultimately, Mr. Milner’s companies came to own more than 8 percent of Facebook and 5 percent of Twitter, helping earn him a place on various lists of the world’s most powerful business people. His companies sold those holdings several years ago, but he retains investments in several other large technology companies and continues to make new deals. Among Mr. Milner’s current investments is a real estate venture founded and partly owned by Jared Kushner, President Trump’s son-in-law and White House adviser.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    It is remarkable, isn't it? The anger on the right is amazing to me.

Sadly, I'm not a big Keurig fan because they generate needless land fill for the inexcusable sin of making bad coffee, but I may have to send them a few bucks just to say thanks.

Kuerig is a whole bunch of cheap plastic crap... they have got to be making money by the pound.
    If the rww's have to make real covfefe I'm all for it!
    How can anyone support that stuff, what is in those little things?
    First time I saw one in use was in the kitchen of an elderly woman with a Trump sticker on the right side of her bumper and a support organic gardening sticker on the left side. I told nomthank you, I couldn't drink that, it would be against doctors orders.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Kuerig is a whole bunch of cheap plastic crap...
    It really is awful coffee. I was very disappointed when Green Mountain started selling their coffee in those cups. I don't think coffee can stay fresh in those things even if they are vacuum packed.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    I'm not a fan of boycotts, myself.

My only comment about Keurig is that I think it makes really lousy coffee. Every morning, my wife uses it... but I go over to Dunkin' for my morning coffee
    I think it makes lousy coffee as well and it's really not any less work than a dripper, especially if you're after the one that used the last of the water and left it that way. My gf has one and I tried to like it. Ended up going by Walgreens and buying a Proctor Silex and some Folgers for my own. It was nice to be able to make as much, and as strong as I liked it again.

Actually, a dripper is less work than Dunkin Donuts. I am not a fan of DD coffee either, but I can see how someone might get used to it as "good enough."

Not surprising.

You make you MORE enraged and DIVIDED than you already are? You got the not smart bit right though.....

[QUOTE=Ted Hoppe;5394710]The Creep moves faster when it is welcomed bearing cash, bitcoins and Wharton graduates who want to make the next big deal. Diversified investment positions with real estate holdings, bedrock social media technology stocks and international financing options with rapid transfers are all part of this very tangled Kleptocracy.

Do you mean people like Nuland and McCain handing out bread in Kiev? How is Hunter Biden doing on the board of Directors at local gas company? And where exactly did that $5 billion of US tax dollars go exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    You make you MORE enraged and DIVIDED than you already are? You got the not smart bit right though.....
    Yes.

On the "not smart bit", there's a lot of it going around and the amount of critical thinking that is being taught in school isn't enough.
    -William A. Ward

Yes.

On the "not smart bit", there's a lot of it going around and the amount of critical thinking that is being taught in school isn't enough.
    Its a great pity. One obviously does not want to tar everyone with the same brush, but when it comes to the majority being that way, its a problem for everyone, not just those in the US. I dont see how it will change, having a "dumbed down" population makes it easier for those in power to enforce their own kind of rules......as has been obvious. Wish you luck, you all deserve better.

I wouldn't say the majority are that way, but those that are "dumbed down" and making a disproportionate ruckus are a small, dedicated group, but make big waves.
    -William A. Ward

I like boycotts too, but this one needs to get over itself. The fraction of Hannity fans who will meaningfully change their coffee spending aren't going to matter to Keurig one bit.
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

good lord, did i just see a line drawn between political party affiliation and coffee makers?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    good lord, did i just see a line drawn between political party affiliation and coffee makers?
    No. You saw a line drawn between people who would continue to support a man running for Congress who has been accused of sexual assault, sexual assault of a minor, supplying alcohol to a minor (and is likely guilty, although the statute of limitations seems to have expired for most if not all of the charges) and coffee makers. The fact that those particular people are a sub-set of a particular political party affiliation really doesn't seem to have any bearing on anything.
    -William A. Ward

No. You saw a line drawn between people who would continue to support a man running for Congress who has been accused of sexual assault, sexual assault of a minor, supplying alcohol to a minor (and is likely guilty, although the statute of limitations seems to have expired for most if not all of the charges) and coffee makers. The fact that those particular people are a sub-set of a particular political party affiliation really doesn't seem to have any bearing on anything.

"likely guilty". would you convict him based on the evidence if you were sitting on a jury right now?

False equivalency. It's not about conviction, it's about election.

"likely guilty". would you convict him based on the evidence if you were sitting on a jury right now?
    I would say that there was probable cause to indict the man, but not likely enough physical evidence to convict him. There is lots of circumstantial evidence - enough for me to question his judgement and morals as an individual. That said, his claims that he knows none of the individuals involved falls flat on the fact that the man signed a yearbook long ago at the restaurant where one of the women who was assaulted worked. It was also well known among his co-workers that he preferred very young women at the time. (When Moore was in his early 30's.)

However, you're playing a "what-if" game which is pointless. He's not being tried by a jury.

His fitness to serve in public office is being brought into question, and I believe that his past actions while in public office, current statements during this campaign, and the past actions brought to light by these women render him unfit to serve.

Figgy - nice cross-post. Totally on point.
    Last edited by Canoez; 11-14-2017 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Figgy.
    -William A. Ward

So will the nutty right start blowing up their Volvo's? (actually, they probably don't drive Volvos)

Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

well we're setting a nice precedent that it's okay to say whatever unsubstantiated claim you want from 40 years ago in the hopes of ruining a political campaign as long as it's "circumstantial enough". this should lay the groundwork for some interesting political races in the future. and i'm not defending this guy at all. IF he did half the crap they're throwing at the wall he's a POS. the problem is the IF part.

well we're setting a nice precedent that it's okay to say whatever unsubstantiated claim you want from 40 years ago in the hopes of ruining a political campaign as long as it's "circumstantial enough". this should lay the groundwork for some interesting political races in the future. and i'm not defending this guy at all. IF he did half the crap they're throwing at the wall he's a POS. the problem is the IF part.
    Whoa, pardner. Read my post. That's only one part of why I think he shouldn't be running.

He's lied about knowing one of the women - that alone for me brings his motives for lying into question.
    -William A. Ward

We're way past the point of this being about whether the accusations are true.

This has become about how his supporters have rationalized their support, seemingly oblivious to the toxicity of it all.

Even Mitch McConnell is ahead of the curve on this one, compared to much of the party. Just dwell on that for a moment.
    McConnell, of course, has some immediate skin in the game, as he sees how this thing will completely derail what's left of his agenda and will surely cost him the majority next year. I think he may have come to appreciate how McCain actually saved the party by voting down the ACA repeal, and has opened his eyes a smidge.