Thread: Propane motors?

Default Propane motors?

Lehr has been offering these for a while. Now I see Tohatsu offers them Any thoughts

https://onlineoutboards.com/tohatsu-...otor-4914.html
    May be some rough water ahead. We're getting new captain.

Default Re: Propane motors?

I've got a Lehr 2.5 and it works great. No ethanol issues and starts every time. Tohatsu may have more dealerships near you that can service them if needed.
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

I am very interested in the Tohatsu 5. Here in the UK gas stations sometimes get uppity about filling portable tanks on the forecourt. With propane I could just get a cylinder or two delivered to the door before going out for the weekend.

Being curious, I looked it up...

Propane has the same energy density as gasoline, by weight, but actually weighs about half as much as the gasoline. So, the propane tank has to be twice as large as the gasoline tank for the same range. I'd guess it won't ever be used for trawlers :-)

regards,
    Joe
    These days, everything I do is just "puttering around"

"... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

I explored Lehr propane outboards earlier this year. LOTS of reviews discussing manufacturing quality defects...parts falling off, etc. Also, the local chandelry that sold them did not service them. Tohatsu might be better, assuming they are not just rebranded Lehrs!
    Oldersalt

"Everything on your boat is broken. You just don't know it yet."

I think I will hang onto my Seagull Engines! My Forty Plus had been in storage for thirty years and it started on the third pull!
    Jay

Interesting. Since I doubt I'll do any more sailing, and I've gotten no calls on my boat, I expect I might opt for a 5hp or 6hp motor and use the boat as a motor launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
    I am very interested in the Tohatsu 5. Here in the UK gas stations sometimes get uppity about filling portable tanks on the forecourt. With propane I could just get a cylinder or two delivered to the door before going out for the weekend.
    Have used propane powered fork lift trucks - they work well - BUT - the propane cylinders are not the same ones as are used for barbies or roofing - they are designed to pick-up liquid propane rather than vapour.
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Have used propane powered fork lift trucks - they work well - BUT - the propane cylinders are not the same ones as are used for barbies or roofing - they are designed to pick-up liquid propane rather than vapour.
    The Lehr's can run on either a vapour or liquid feed. Not sure about the Tohatsu.

I just carried a 1 year old tohatsu 3.5 outboard around the pacific as baggage for 5 months because it wouldn't go, even after repair of the initial problem( which they wouldn't fix under warranty). If it was a car dumping fuel everywhere because of badly designed underspec components it would be recalled. They make junk in my opinion, and a bad company to deal with.
    Add pressurised fuel into that? Just asking for trouble.

That's a very useful link. Thanks.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

I had a buddy with a Lehr. Totally aside from the embedded irritation of having to use non-recycle-able cannisters...and you go through a LOT of them...sometimes it started. And sometimes it didn't, for no apparent reason.
    CLC Skerry = "Vingilothiel"

Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    I had a buddy with a Lehr. Totally aside from the embedded irritation of having to use non-recycle-able cannisters...and you go through a LOT of them...sometimes it started. And sometimes it didn't, for no apparent reason.
    All Lehrs can be run off remote, refillable, cylinders - even the 2.5. I must admit that a lot of the stuff on the web about Lehrs seems pretty negative, mostly centred around build quality issues. I have far more faith in Tohatsu to get the basic motor right.

Main complaint I've read about Lehr was noise.