Thread: First Time Build

Default First Time Build

Hello, I'm new around here and have joined to lend some experience if that is o.k? I'm contemplating what to build and can't quite decide which boat to build. Any suggestions would be great also as I keep discovering new models (that throw spanners in the works).

The boat that I build will hardly ever see flat water. It will mostly encounter 5-15 knot winds and .5 to 1.5m swell. It is the short chop that the boat will have to deal with I will need to take most into consideration. I am looking for a length of 4.5m to 5m and a beam of 1.7m to 2m, optimally it would be around 1.8, but overall design is more important. I am after a boat that will do what a 4.8m aluminium dinghy will do, but with a higher degree of comfort. I would like to be able to power the boat with 30-50hp, cc or tiller, depending on design. Above all, this is my first build, so it would need to be a relatively simple stitch and glue with not huge costs of ply involved. I will however most likely add quite a bit of glass to the design to cope with conditions, probably a minimum of 2 x 300gsm and 1 x 450gsm layers.

Originally, I was contemplating building MB Marsh's Almaguin 500, but the 7.5 degree dead rise is not really enough. I also looked at building a lengthened Selway-Fisher Power 14, but lack of chine put me off.

I have look at the Bateau range and a couple really catch my eye such as the Outboard 17, but it is just a bit too big for what I want and I think that I would have to double or triple the fibreglass and epoxy amounts to get the hull that I want and then the power would need to be above what I'm looking at.

I quite like the Spira Newporter 16, but have some reservations about internal gunnel height in relation to my two small children, but this design looks good.
    I also quite like the panga from Spira, but the lack of vee and lack of a planing plank puts me off the design for what I want.
    I like the Marissa design, but the material total and complexity worries me. I have been in touch with them and asked if I can some how obtain a kit drawing for extra and am waiting on an answer.
    The Australian designs from Bowdidge are probably one level up from what I want in my first build. The look very good though, and would look at building one in the future.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Lake Norman,North Carolina and Cedarville, Michigan

Default Re: First Time Build

You are going to hear this from others I'm sure, but consider dipping your toe in with a smaller build to test out even the stitch and glue process. Lots start with a canoe or similar to get a hang of it before going into the size and complexity you are considering.

That being said, I'm familiar with a couple of the designs you mention and feel confident in saying that if you follow the build and fiberglass lamination schedules of the designer without trying to "beef up" the glass, your product will be plenty strong and not over weight.

The cost of the plywood is really minor in the grand scheme of things even if you discount your labor time to zero. I wouldn't let that be the limiting factor. If it is, then you might find you start a build without really being aware of the cost and complexity and taking on a project that doesn't get completed for want of funds.

I know there is a certain pride in being able to say you built one of these boats from a set of plans and stack of plywood, but if you can swing anyone of the available CNC kits offered by several of the mentioned designers I don't think you would regret it in the long run. It doesn't take too many mis-cuts to quickly add up to the cost of a "kit".

I have to admit an ignorance of the waters that you will be using your boat, so I'll leave the plan suggestions to others more knowledgeable. Sounds like you have done your research and both good plans and designers have made you short list so I think you will be happy.

Thanks JT for the advice. Yes, I agree. Cutting is the one area that I'm not going to tackle. I have a friend with a CNC manufacturing company that will cut for me from PDF format (manual?). I understand that I will have to do minimal cutting after this as the bulk will be done.

Whatever I build will unavoidably have the bejesus beaten out of it occasionally, especially at this time of year when you have to put your boat in before work to pull cray pots around the 3 mile reef. This is where I will need a nice vee with lots of glass. Otherwise, I'm a fair weather fisherman mostly.

Try looking at Sam Devlins designs. His Duckboat type Cackler 14 or the Snow Goose may be ideal for what you are intending to do with the boat and his FDishing boat designs (candlefish 16) might be a suitable candidate. They don't need a lot of power (which makes for a cheaper engine and smaller fuel bills) which might sway your decision. Plenty of illustrations of the boats being built to give you an idea of the construction too.

Hello Pilchard: I built a Bateau C17 as a center console...great boat for the conditions and use that you described.....with high freeboard / cockpit depth. Very dry ride.
    Five years old and no problems whatsoever. V-bottom....11 degree at transom.
    Resized_20171022_133619 (2).jpg
    Last edited by Rmarsh; 11-24-2017 at 07:41 AM. Reason: details

Lake Norman,North Carolina and Cedarville, Michigan

Pilchard,
    I'm curious about your plan to have the panels cut locally by CNC using PDF plans. I've not heard of this being done, so I'm curious to hear how. Will he recreate all the parts in a CAD program to cut them? Seems like a lot of work, but hopefully a good friend that owes you one.

I don't think I've heard of any designers sharing their cut files for obvious reasons, but I guess that might be the wave of the future. Already, they have to take a leap of faith and send plans out electronically. I wonder if any sell the files at this point?

The C17 above is available as a kit from Bateau and my experience with their kits has been great. Their material is top notch and shipping in the US is reasonable.

Since home for you is half way around the world from their Florida shop, that is a good reason in my mind to propose the purchase of cut files if they would sell them. I know there are a lot of those Bateau boats built Down Under so maybe Bateau has a relationship with someone there already that could cut direct for you under license from them?

Good luck with your build.

Would the Bartender 19 be too big?

Mark Bowdidge covers off most sizes in his design portfolio - good looking, modern boats.

http://www.bowdidgemarinedesigns.com

Ditto on the plywood -- in 5 years all that you will remember is your labour. The cost of the plywood won't even enter into it.

Also, you'll be wishing you used better stuff as the cheap wood starts to rot. I'm dealing with that now with a 10 ft dinghy, a boat I designed and built and which is perfect for what I want, but which is made from cheap ply. (I wish I'd bought the good stuff.)

DeeMac beat me to it. Marks stuff is designed for your waters.....and they work as designed.