Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Measuring small amounts of epoxy?

Default Re: Measuring small amounts of epoxy?

Quote Originally Posted by Pitsligo View Post
    It was meant to.

For me, I use either 1qt yoghurt tubs, 1pt self-serve deli tubs, or the cups from liquid laundry detergent bottles. The tube off-cuts sound as though they might be good for varnish cups because one could later remove the tape, peel out the skin of last coat's varnish, and re-use them without worrying so much about contamination. For final coats a new container would be best, of course, but for build coats it might suffice. I run out of second-hand tubs pretty quickly during maintenance season.

Alex
    ALex, perhaps you would like to give the following experiment a try.

Going with your idea of using kling wrap, I did the following -- cut a piece of 42mm diam pvc tube, about 3" long and sanded the burr off with 60 grit sand paper, as well as squaring one edge. then cleaned up the edges with 150 grit, along with an additional ring of 1/2" depth, which was snipped through to allow it to be sprung open.
    this ring is used to clasp the kling wrap over an edge of the bigger tube piece.
    I dabbed some stationary glue (from a glue stick) into the smooth edge of the 3" tube piece, in order to hold the wrap in place while I used scissors to cut it 1/2" away from the tube rim.
    Then 2" clear packaging tape was used to seal and reinforce the made-up cap.

Testing with water shows it to be an OK receptacle.

Testing how the thing might work with varnish could follow

I'm another bloke in the syringe camp. I went to a medical supply house which provides consumables to hospitals etc. I came away with a big box of 10ml syringes something like 100 or 300 (I forget now). Well it turns out syringes can be used for a long time before they need replacing (if looked after)... so now about 20 years and three boats later I'm still working my way through that same box. I reckon I've had pretty awesome value from that purchase... what amazing foresight I had . For larger volumes I just pre measure suitable containers (empty baked bean tins, vegemite jars, whatever) to suit the job... but it is practical to use the 10ml syringes to measure up to say 100ml of resin. Beyond that it is too tedious so the bigger containers are better.

I use primarily System Three 2:1 epoxy. By weight it is 100:44 as someone else mentioned. I use a digital scale. Place whatever container on the scale and zero out, pour any amount of resin into container. Using a digital calculator multiply whatever weight the scale shows by .44, note result, zero scale and pour in that much hardener.

Another vote for syringes. I use the 10ml. syringes. One for hardener and one for resin. I can make very small, very accurate doses of epoxy. After a long period of idleness they must be replaced, usually.I imagine if they were periodically rinsed with acetone they would last longer, but they are cheap, so.... They sit in a holder I knocked together from some scrap right over small bottles containing resin and hardener which are easily topped off as they are used. Very handy.

I use a 2:1 International branded epiglue which is pre-thickened, so I mix 1 glob hardener to 2 globs the same size of resin on a bit of scrap ply.
    This is the most expensive product I use, so is generally for small jobs.

I also use pumps from West, syringes, and graduated sticks all mixed in bean tins.

The 60ml syringes I have work well, but I found them a little messy as I was mixing 50 mls of 2:1 clear epoxy at a time for filling and clear coating glass cloth. I was filling them from the 2 litre containers, so got the outside coated in product.
    I feel they would work well for small amounts.

The west pumps I use for medium size jobs, or where strength is key.
    I've gone through a few sets of these pumps with the hardener pumps failing.
    The pumps we get in NZ must be different as they cannot be taken apart for cleaning.
    I've taken to using the spare resin pumps for my cheaper 4:1 ratio epoxy that I use for bulk coating of cloth. 4 pumps resin, 1 pump hardener.

This has replaced the measuring stick in the bean can that I was using for bulk mixes, which I was happy to do until my epiphany with the West pumps.

ALex, perhaps you would like to give the following experiment a try.
    That's *really* good, especially the part about the ring-clip. At the moment it's too cold and wet here to even imagine doing any varnishing, but what you describe will be my starting point when it comes time for me to bring out the brushes. Thank you!

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Pitsligo View Post
    For me, I use either 1qt yoghurt tubs, 1pt self-serve deli tubs, or the cups from liquid laundry detergent bottles.
    I hoard anything that can be used as disposable poxy mixing pots. I have so many cardboard cans, smooth-wall metal cans and plastic tubs that my family questions my sanity. I wrote this anecdote a little while back...

It would seem I need intervention: the grind-your-own almond butter tubs at the food co-op make great varnish cups, and in maintenance season I'll occasionally cheat and stack a couple extra tubs onto the bottom of the one I actually use for the almond butter.

The lids are good too, as pallettes for mixing very small amounts of epoxy. And you can cut them into all sorts of shapes to get the perfect spreaders.

I'm hoping Lugalong's suggestion will mitigate my... problem.

Alex

The little medicine cups they use for wine tasting at the local liquor store present a sometimes pleasant way to obtain small mixing containers. Sometimes, because as Brendan Fraser described Number 7 in the wine tasting in John Cleese's 'Wine for the Confused' "Put it back in the horse."
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    I like this. I'm stealing it.

So, that square nut is what you use to balance the empty cup?
    Damn! Why didn't I think of that?

Looks to be the best solution ever. Somebody could maybe make a few bucks selling ready-made versions of this epoxy measuring scale. Maybe replace the washers with a sliding weight in the fancy store bought model.

Operating in the information wilderness before the internet, I just measured the stroke of my 1 oz. ketchup pumps supplied with my 2:1 System III (old version name) epoxy and carved 1/2, 1/4 and 1/8 marks into the column. For 30 plus years I've used this method to dispense small amounts without a problem, given I always assume there is air in the pump and press down slowly until the pump firms up before measuring a stroke.

All the best,
    Rob Macks
    Laughing Loon Custom Canoes & Kayaks
    http://www.laughingloon.com/
    207-549-3531

“All things are difficult before they are easy.” - Thomas Fuller

( P.S. five minute, 30 minute, 1 hour epoxy is crap unless you don't care about strength of bond.[/QUOTE]

I'll second that last part.

Re small epoxy measurement, I bought a box of 100 ml syringes through my local pharmacy, but I maybe on line as well?
    Vet supplies have bigger ones but I haven't looked at buying them.

I just noticed that searching Plastic reusable Syringe comes up with some pretty inexpensive 100 and 150 ml syringes for gardening -- measuring nutrient solutions for hydroponics. https://www.ebay.com/i/302415268940?chn=ps I wonder if that link will last over a week.

Quote Originally Posted by earling2 View Post
    ( P.S. five minute, 30 minute, 1 hour epoxy is crap unless you don't care about strength of bond.

I'll second that last part.
    That tends to be true for the thiol (mercaptan) cure hardener 5 and 10 minute epoxies. The sulfur smell is enough to rot your socks, so the sulfur cure epoxies are not hard to identify.
    I would not be so quick to condemn all fast cure epoxies with pot life over 20 minutes. The original quote was back in one of the earliest posts on this thread, and the comment was from a luthier. He might have been thinking oily tropical hardwood like pernambuco, which isn't so easy to bond.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch