Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1955 17' Maghogany in Board

Question 1955 17' Maghogany in Board

I purchased this boat that has a fiberglass mesh installed on the bottom below the water line. On the port side, right at the water line there is a small crack above the mesh approximately three inches long. How would you recommend fixing this? I have previously installed two layers of epoxy coating above the water line thinking this would help strengthen the hull, but the crack reappeared after having it in the water. The crack is just ahead of the drivers seat and is hard to access from underneath. Thanking you in advance for your advice on this matter! Best Wishes Bob Thornberry

Default Re: 1955 17' Maghogany in Board

Welcome to the forum.
    You have not provided enough info. Are you saying that the wood plank is cracked? Along the grain or across it? Is it solid wood, cold moulded or plywood?
    Pictures would help. Go to the FAQ page for how to post photos.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Agreed,.. we need more information. What kind of boat (who built her), pictures and how is the boat used? (Trailered, kept in the water?)

Hello Nick, Thank you for your expedited reply! I took several pictures, but have been unable to figure out how to post them yet, I will keep trying. I reexamined the crack this morning and it has gotten longer over the winter. The boat is mahogany planked, built by an individual in California. It sits on a steel trailer in the heat of Texas in a garage. The crack follows the seam of the plank. It starts sixteen inches from the stem of the bow and is ten inches in length. The motor is not in the boat at the present time, The location of the crack is almost directly over the last contact with the steel trailer frame.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Posting photos here is a bit of a trick. If you can get them onto facebook,for example,or provide any link, we can help.

Put your photo on you computer, then follow the Posting Photos in the FAQ section of the toolbar. Believe me, it's now a lot easier then it used to be!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Tapatalk is the most user friendly download I've used for photos
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

2017-11-15 08.42.55.jpg

If we knew the design, it might help. Chris Craft, Hacker, that sort of info. Is it a varnished hull or painted? Tell us everything you know of the boat to help us along until you can get pictures posted.
    You mentioned adding "two layers of epoxy" to the area. Was that just epoxy or did you also use fiberglass? Epoxy alone will make the wood watertight, but not strengthen it.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Hello Rick! I tried posting the JPG picture in the above, but I guess it didn't materialize. Yes, sorry for the lack of information. It's a 17' foot, somewhat rounded reverse stern, with side planks that start out being laid horizontal, but curving starting at the drivers seat toward the stern. The hull received a two layer epoxy coat from the water line up, and on top w/o any fiberglass mesh, then nine coats of varnish. The closest design type that i could compare it to would be a Riva, but even that doesn't seem close. I had read that epoxy helped strengthen the hull, but obviously it didn't . I will try the pictures again as they are worth a "thousand words". Thank's for your help!

The link you give us has to show up in blue. The above is maybe missing a single piece.
    We don't know if the boat was glued together originally, or was board and batten, or carvel. We do not know if the bottom is different from the sides.We don't know if it is a split from trauma or a check from drying.
    We dont know if the epoxy hurt or helped .Or if using more will hurt or help.

Hello everyone! Forgive me for being such an ignoramus, but I have been unable to locate the icon for posting pictures... ( from an Apple computer ) where is that blasted thing? I will include a picture of the inside of the hull when I can, but it is carvel planked on the sides screwed to wooden internal supports, with what appears to be marine plywood on the bottom screwed to internal frame / supports running from stern to bow with longitudinal stringers. When i get the pictures up you will see the crack runs seemingly over top of the division between two planks. The crack was there before I epoxied the sides and top, but it has gotten longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Thornberry View Post
    Hello everyone! Forgive me for being such an ignoramus, but I have been unable to locate the icon for posting pictures... ( from an Apple computer ) where is that blasted thing? I will include a picture of the inside of the hull when I can, but it is carvel planked on the sides screwed to wooden internal supports, with what appears to be marine plywood on the bottom screwed to internal frame / supports running from stern to bow with longitudinal stringers. When i get the pictures up you will see the crack runs seemingly over top of the division between two planks. The crack was there before I epoxied the sides and top, but it has gotten longer.
    Jake and might help if you mentioned what you know how to do with your mouse and on your computer or device.

I highly recommend you download and use Tapatalk for photos and discussions

One piece of advice is don't try to upload from your computer

On a computer or a windows-based system you want to post from a URL. Many of us used to keep our photos on a site called Photobucket. Now many of his use anything but Photobucket! On the photo hosting site of your choice,. You will copy the URL (direct link).

This should help
    https://youtu.be/SilG7vUs9GE

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Oh geeze , I put pics up completely differently. There must be many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Oh geeze , I put pics up completely differently. There must be many ways.
    Very many !

Hello everyone! Forgive me for being such an ignoramus, but I have been unable to locate the icon for posting pictures... ( from an Apple computer ) where is that blasted thing?
    Look on the tool bar above the text window. At the end there is a speech bubble for quoting text, then two frames of film for pasting in videos, then a picture of a tree, that is the post pictures Icon.
    screenshot.jpg
    which opens this drop down menu.
    screenshot2.jpg

either click on From Computer or From URL depending on where the image is hosted.

Thank you Denise! I have an apple phone and desk top that won't allow me to download an android app it seems for tapatalk. I will have to figure another way around all this. Thank's again for your help! Best Wishes, Bob

Thank you Denise! I have an apple phone and desk top that won't allow me to download an android app it seems for tapatalk. I will have to figure another way around all this. Thank's again for your help! Best Wishes, Bob
    Ur Very welcome! Oh I think Tapatalk 2 works with iPhones. Anything "I" I stay away from . On your desktop with your mouse you can hover over a photograph on a site and click on copy photograph location and you can post that in the photo icon on the Forum also. A lot of people are using Google photos. I'm using Shutterfly but have not been using it very much since I just use Tapatalk so much now

Posting photos here is a bit of a trick. If you can get them onto facebook,for example,or provide any link, we can help.

Wiz you must have missed the memo. You can now post direct from your computer, device, whatever. It's really easy.

The picture posting icon is in the tool bar of the message box.3rd from the right. Looks like a framed picture of a tree.

Tapa talk can be installed on an iPhone, no problem. Just go to iTunes.

Wizbang13 Hello! I have posted my photos to Facebook, how do I proceed now? Thank you so much! Bob

I count about 15 Jake Thornberrys on FB! wait, BOB???

I count about 15 Jake Thornberrys on FB! wait, BOB???
    I looked too, but when I saw some of the options I backed away. lol

Guys, sorry for the F.B.issue, I'm not really a computer oriented guy....

Please find enclosed pictures of the cracked hull. Any input or feedback would be helpful. Here's the link to the photos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WRgG2UkwsanmbpiR2

Thanks in advance!

but you don't have a photo of the whole boat?

Yes Denise, I have a link for photos in the entry just above yours that shows both sides of the boat

Yes Denise, I have a link for photos in the entry just above yours that shows both sides of the boat
    I saw those Jake but I was just hoping to see the whole boat. Looks like board and batten should be pretty easy to fix the crack

Good Morning! I have finally posted my photographs of the boat ( after my son helped me)! Could you guys check them out and see what you think about the crack in the hull ( it's somewhat complicated by the fact that part of it is covered by fiberglass covering over part of the crack ). Any suggestions on where I could obtain some mahogany to replace the boards? Thank's guys for your advice!

Best Wishes, Bob

Good Morning! I have finally posted my photographs of the boat ( after my son helped me)! Could you guys check them out and see what you think about the crack in the hull ( it's somewhat complicated by the fact that part of it is covered by fiberglass covering over part of the crack ). Any suggestions on where I could obtain some mahogany to replace the boards? Thank's guys for your advice!

Best Wishes, Bob
    Why do you need to replace then? I cannot see any rot. If there is a crack in the middle of a plank, glue in a spline.

It looks to me like that crack is on a seam. You'l need to remove the paint to see what is happening there. (At least for photo analysis) I think your boat is dried out and the planks shrank.
    Last edited by navydog; 01-14-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Looked like a seam to me as well.
    Tom

Your hull appears to be of seam batten construction.
    And the crack from that photo is between planks and is backed by the batten inside the hull.
    Is there any damage to the batten inside the hull?
    Does the crack extend above or below the batten on the inside of the hull?
    Sand the paint back to bare wood, dig out any filler used to fill the gap in the past, then post a picture.
    I like Peerie Maa's suggestion, to glue in a spline.
    Looks like you have a boat with a lot of character and is well made.

Quote Originally Posted by Don MacLeod View Post
    Your hull appears to be of seam batten construction.
    And the crack from that photo is between planks and is backed by the batten inside the hull.
    Is there any damage to the batten inside the hull?
    Does the crack extend above or below the batten on the inside of the hull?
    Sand the paint back to bare wood, dig out any filler used to fill the gap in the past, then post a picture.
    I like Peerie Maa's suggestion, to glue in a spline.
    Looks like you have a boat with a lot of character and is well made.
    Hello Don, Thank you so much for the well needed, informative reply! A good friend of mine lives in Christ Church, a waterman, who unfortunately just passed away. I hope to visit New Zealand some day!

Thank's again!, Best Wishes, Bob

Hey Nick, thank's so much for the well needed, informative reply! I like the idea of a spline! As a teen I always wanted one of these mahogany beauties! Thank's again Nick! Best Wishes, Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Welcome to the forum.
    You have not provided enough info. Are you saying that the wood plank is cracked? Along the grain or across it? Is it solid wood, cold moulded or plywood?
    Pictures would help. Go to the FAQ page for how to post photos.
    Hello! Thank you indeed for the suggestion regarding placing a splice in the affected area? What kind of piece of equipment would you use to make this cut? Thank's so much for your help! Best Wishes ! Bob