Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345 LastLast

Thread: Oznabrag is the BROTHM of November!

Default Re: Oznabrag is the BROTHM of November!

Was the photo germain to the conversation ? Or as you just admitted completely and unbelievably out of context.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post

I don't think you answered a question I asked you - on the other thread perhaps - but here it is again, if you posted a photo of yourself and your wife and someone made that comment about your wife, for whatever reason, would you tolerate it?

Would you tolerate your wife being demeaned and disrespected in that way?
    Obviously I wouldn't USE a photo of my wife "as part of the banter with lads that were rabbiting on ". So I wouldn't have to defend sexism or demeaned and disrespected in that way. It's amazing that I can figure that out and yet you can't.

I also ask my wife before I post a photo of her and inform her as to the context it will be used. For example THIS WOULD NOT BE THE THREAD TO POST A PHOTO OF HER.

Did you ask ?
    Did you evaluate the context it would be used in ?
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 11-14-2017 at 02:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Question to difficult?
    Apparently it is. I've asked Joe a couple of times. He doesn't seem to want to answer it.

Come on Joe, how would you react if your wife was attacked like that?

How would you react, PISN?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Was the photo germain to the conversation ? Or as you just admitted completely and unbelievably out of context.
    I've just answered that. It was germane to the conversation. I mentioned that I was taking a trip and would be posting plenty of selfies. I posted one of the shots taken at the farewell drinks for that trip. Taken Saturday, posted by my friend on Sunday (Oz time) and re-posted on the thread, because it was germane, within minutes of her posting it.

Joe - you've posted a number of times that it was "photos". If you can't even get the basics right, why are you trying to work on the detail?

Again - how would you react if he'd said that of your wife?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Obviously I wouldn't USE a photo of my wife "as part of the banter" with lads were rabbiting on. I also ask my wife before I post a photo of her and inform her as to the context it will be used.
    Joe, you've used multiple photos of you and women as part of the banter of the forum over the 17 years I've been on the forum.

How would you react if someone said that of your wife, or any predecessor friend or partner of yours?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Joe, you've used multiple photos of you and women as part of the banter of the forum over the 17 years I've been on the forum.

How would you react if someone said that of your wife, or any predecessor friend or partner of yours?
    Again THIS WOULD NOT BE A THREAD TO POST SUCH A PHOTO If I did I might get an unwanted response given the "banter with lads" in this thread. Folla

Also you didn't answer my question. Did get permission from those in the photo to post it as part of your banter with lads ?

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

Just laying the groundwork.

What was that photo you posted of ?
    Apparently it is. I've asked Joe a couple of times. He doesn't seem to want to answer it.

Come on Joe, how would you react if your wife was attacked like that?

How would you react, PISN?

I've just answered that. It was germane to the conversation. I mentioned that I was taking a trip and would be posting plenty of selfies. I posted one of the shots taken at the farewell drinks for that trip. Taken Saturday, posted by my friend on Sunday (Oz time) and re-posted on the thread, because it was germane, within minutes of her posting it.

Joe - you've posted a number of times that it was "photos". If you can't even get the basics right, why are you trying to work on the detail?

Again - how would you react if he'd said that of your wife?
    He isn't a big enough man to give a straight answer.

Again THIS WOULD NOT BE A THREAD TO POST SUCH A PHOTO If I did I might get an unwanted response given the context of this thread. Folla
    Again, that wasn't the question.

I don't approach any thread from the perspective of avoiding unwanted responses. I approach the forum from a basis of participation and contribution. There are clearly some who approach it with whatever problems that haunt them dominating their input. That is why we have rules and that is why we need a moderator... unfortunately.

So, Joe - if someone made that comment in relation to a female family member of yours or a close female friend, how would you react?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    He isn't a big enough man to give a straight answer.
    I'm man enough to be able to handle anything you've ever been able to throw up.

But not big enough to give a straight truthful answer to a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    But not big enough to give a straight truthful answer to a question.
    What question didn't I answer?

Lets try this step by step
    Did you post the photos of your friends and girlfriend ?
    Did you post photo's ?
    Why ?
    For what Reason ?
    I post photos for a reason. I saw your photos and I saw the REASON
    You don't want to own it OK
    We as a group saw it and saw why.
    You goad and taunt those you disagree with.
    You strike and then fein abuse.
    Sorry we all see the truth
    It's a shame you don't
    Just for Jimmy. Joe was on about photos. I didn't post photos. I posted a photo. One.

You guys get all high and mighty, claiming you know what went on, yet you can't even get the basics right.

Who is "Old Mate" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Who is "Old Mate" ?
    old mate
    n. Australian colloquialism. A replacement term for a person's name within a sentence. Usage stems from the idea that a person need not be named during a statement or anecdote, but that his or her identity can be deduced by the context of the message.

- it isn't in any way derogatory.

Several folks have tried to mount a defence of the dinosaurs.

Long live the Dinosaurs!!!
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

old mate
    n. Australian colloquialism. A replacement term for a person's name within a sentence. Usage stems from the idea that a person need not be named during a statement or anecdote, but that his or her identity can be deduced by the context of the message.

- it isn't in any way derogatory.
    Hmmm, I came up with something different. A not so sly way of being derogatory.
    Just wondering who it might be, it was a question; Does he have a name?

old mate
    "Old mate" is an Australian Colloquialism, usually used to refer to someone who you do not know the name of. It is normally used as a substitute for "that guy", "this guy", "his" or "he". The person referred to as "old mate" is normally the subject of ridicule. When you use the term "old mate", the target audience will normally always know who you are talking about, or easily be able to work it out.

old mate
    Used to describe someone you dislike thereby avoiding using their name.
    Last edited by Canoeyawl; 11-14-2017 at 07:33 AM.

Gentlemen, it comes down to basic forum compliance:

BASIC FORUM ETIQUETTE: PLAY NICE
    Reminder: by signing up to post on the WoodenBoat Forum, you've agreed to make nice, and to comply with pages and pages of rules the lawyers wrote.
    It all comes down to:
    ...Don't be rude.

The banned individuals were apparently rude about some ladies in a posters picture.

The Moderator dealt with it.

If you have a beef with what the Moderator did , contact him.

Before doing so please be aware of :
    BASIC FORUM ETIQUETTE: PLAY NICE
    Reminder: by signing up to post on the WoodenBoat Forum, you've agreed to make nice, and to comply with pages and pages of rules the lawyers wrote. It all comes down to:...Don't whine at the Admin. He hates that.

So don't be rude.

Let's move on.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

And so would you if someone labeled a photo of Lindy with a highly derogatory term.
    You may be right but it would depend on how I judged the insult, how out of bounds I thought it was. I try not to put my wife in a position where she would be open to a slur based on something I said or did. In truth, I probably wouldn't see such a thing unless it was highlighted as a thread title and equally, I wouldn't expect anybody to be so fizzed at me that they took a swat at my wife.But as I said, I missed the fracas.

I'm pretty selective about what I read here these days and how much time I'll devote to chasing down things I find objectionable. I usually leave threads that take turns I don't like, but I will push back if I feel pressed upon. But I don't push the button. I reserve one exception for that: things I view as racially derogatory. But then, I don't see much of that here, only really have seen it a few times and not lately. I've only pushed the button once, and felt immediately like I'd made a mistake. I don't find myself getting tested here all that often. Lucky or thick, I guess.

As I didn't see the thread in question I have no way to judge the course of events.
    Ideally I'd try to avoid personal comments online and also usually let people fight their own battles. Then again, I feel no compunction not to speak as directly as I please to ideas and statements I object to but I'd hope to avoid personal attacks. That's served me pretty well over the years here though I've broken my own rules from time to time, usually when I get hot. Most people have lines that they don't like to cross but few avoid erring from time to time. I'm about average on that score.

I think some of this might be down to how we use language, what English terms mean here versus in other places. My interpretation of the "term in question" is that it's derogatory but carries no sexual connotations and isn't off color per se, more a negative description of a woman's appearance. To be fair, I do identify the term as gender specific and don't use it myself even in daily speech but it doesn't cross into obscene for me, more like a school yard slur that carries no benefit when deployed.

If your wife or GF was victimized by it then know I think that's punk. But personally, I prefer not to be the cause of somebody getting banned by my hand over an insult I may have suffered. Kind of a sticks and stones thing. Everybody has their own standards so what fits for me doesn't have to fit for you.
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 11-14-2017 at 10:09 AM.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    You may be right but it would depend on how I judged the insult, how out of bounds I thought it was. I try not to put my wife in a position where she would be open to a slur based on something I said or did. In truth, I probably wouldn't see such a thing unless it was highlighted as a thread title and equally, I wouldn't expect anybody to be so fizzed at me that they took a swat at my wife.But as I said, I missed the fracas.

I'm pretty selective about what I read here these days and how much time I'll devote to chasing down things I find objectionable. I usually leave threads that take turns I don't like, but I will push back if I feel pressed upon. But I don't push the button. I reserve one exception for that: things I view as racially derogatory. But then, I don't see much of that here, only really have seen it a few times and not lately. I've only pushed the button once, and felt immediately like I'd made a mistake.

As I didn't see the thread in question I have no way to judge the course of events.
    Ideally I'd try to avoid personal comments online and also usually let people fight their own battles. Then again, I feel no compunction not to speak as directly as I please to ideas and statements I object to but I'd hope to avoid personal attacks. That's served me pretty well over the years here though I've broken my own rules from time to time, usually when I get hot. Most people have lines that they don't like to cross but few avoid erring from time to time. I'm about average on that score.

I think some of this might be down to how we use language, what English terms mean here versus in other places. My interpretation of the "term in question" is that it's derogatory but carries no sexual connotations and isn't off color per se, more a negative description of a woman's appearance. To be fair, I do identify the term as gender specific and don't use it myself even in daily speech but it doesn't cross into obscene for me, more like a school yard slur that carries no benefit when deployed.

If your wife or GF was victimized by it then know I think that's punk. But personally, I prefer not to be the cause of somebody getting banned by my hand over an insult I may have suffered. Kind of a sticks and stones thing. Everybody has their own standards so what fits for me doesn't have to fit for you.
    My perception was that there was a racial bias to it, given my girlfriend is not Caucasian. But that's just my interpretation of how it was delivered.

Let's just say that my impression of someone who would use the term to describe a forumite's girlfriend and other close friends is not very high.

Here's the top three definitions from the urban dictionary:

skanky
    sex

the act of looking cheap, dirty and nasty.
    also acting slutty

Dirty(sexually), Used, Tainted, Immoral Leanings and Tendencies.
    Target is usually female and basically a variation on "Slutty"

Sleazy, down and dirty, acting like a cheap hooker.

Of all the causes which conspire to blind
    Man's erring judgment, and misguide the mind,

What the weak head with strongest bias rules,
    Is pride, the never-failing vice of fools.

Whatever Nature has in worth denied,
    She gives in large recruits of needful pride;

For as in bodies, thus in souls, we find
    What wants in blood and spirits, swell'd with wind;

Pride, where wit fails, steps in to our defence,
    And fills up all the mighty void of sense!

If once right reason drives that cloud away,
    Truth breaks upon us with resistless day;

Trust not yourself; but your defects to know,
    Make use of ev'ry friend—and ev'ry foe.

-------------------------------

And while self-love each jealous writer rules,
    Contending wits become the sport of fools:

But still the worst with most regret commend,
    For each ill author is as bad a friend.

To what base ends, and by what abject ways,
    Are mortals urg'd through sacred lust of praise!

Ah ne'er so dire a thirst of glory boast,
    Nor in the critic let the man be lost!

Good nature and good sense must ever join;
    To err is human; to forgive, divine.

The rest of Alexander Pope's wonderful poem "An Essay of Criticism" may be read here: https://www.poetryfoundation.org/art...y-on-criticism
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

My perception was that there was a racial bias to it, given my girlfriend is not Caucasian. But that's just my interpretation of how it was delivered.

Let's just say that my impression of someone who would use the term to describe a forumite's girlfriend and other close friends is not very high.

Here's the top three definitions from the urban dictionary:

skanky
    sex

the act of looking cheap, dirty and nasty.
    also acting slutty

Dirty(sexually), Used, Tainted, Immoral Leanings and Tendencies.
    Target is usually female and basically a variation on "Slutty"

Sleazy, down and dirty, acting like a cheap hooker.
    And by your selected definition, not racially biased.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

I have a crazy idea.

We could all speak and write respectfully one to another, no matter how much the other may be incomprehensible to us.

Anyone think FOR A MOMENT I would write anything bannable about another person here?
    Anyone here think I donít have those thoughts?

Be nice one to another.

Peace,
    Emperor For Life

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    I have a crazy idea.

We could all speak and write respectfully one to another, no matter how much the other may be incomprehensible to us.

Anyone think FOR A MOMENT I would write anything bannable about another person here?
    Anyone here think I don’t have those thoughts?

Be nice one to another.

Peace,
    Emperor For Life
    It's possible, Rob. There are a bunch of us here who've managed to stick around for quite some time, leave very little doubt what we think, yet who've never been banned.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

I have a crazy idea.

Be nice one to another.

Peace,
    Emperor For Life
    Rob, a beautiful dream. Truly. One that not all here are willing to do, sadly. We also have members who come here with a deliberate intent to provoke others. While they are responsible for their own behavior, the provocation of others is reprehensible behavior.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    It's possible, Rob. There are a bunch of us here who've managed to stick around for quite some time, leave very little doubt what we think, yet who've never been banned.
    Yeah, go ahead and rub it in. What is that, Himalayan salt? Feels saltier than sea salt.

Iím telling you, there IS a small percentage locked up who are totally innocent. It happens.

Peace,
    Rescued By Good Friends

Prague powder #1
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Prague powder #1

Peace,
    Robert

I have a crazy idea.

Be nice one to another.

Peace,
    Emperor For Life
    I wuz gonna tells ya precisely how insane this spit is... but I'd probably get banded. At least temporarily...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Never been banned. Buncha danged milquetoasts. I think I'm gonna sign up with Joe's "Lifestyle Lessons" curriculum. I'll teach "Redneck 101: how to use shin-kicking, and other rhetorical skills".
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I'm all for elegance and finesse with a quick blade, when honour demands. But one can be civil as one slips it in, and send flowers after.

I'm all for elegance and finesse with a quick blade, when honour demands. But one can be civil as one slips it in, and send flowers after.
    I will not attend the funeral, but I'll send a very nice note saying I approved.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Never been banned.
    Nope.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Me either so far. That could change at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Nope.
    I was referring to all the milquetoasts. Not to myself. I've been banned several times.

ORRRRRR... maybe I SHOULD deny it. Go with the Jeff Sessions school of rememberation!!!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Yeah, go ahead and rub it in. What is that, Himalayan salt? Feels saltier than sea salt.

Iím telling you, there IS a small percentage locked up who are totally innocent. It happens.

Peace,
    Rescued By Good Friends
    Come on Rob, you aren't so special.

I was banned at the same time as you, for the same length of time.