Thread: Hernandez and CTE

Default Hernandez and CTE

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...4a0_story.html

I'm very glad my kids never played hard contact sports. How much longer will school promote this. The medical evidence is becoming quite damning.
    Tom

Default Re: Hernandez and CTE

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    How much longer will school promote this.
    There is no sign of it stopping at the college level. That is for certain. Increasingly, we run football programs with a college attached.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Looks like a plate of chocolate chip cookies.

I do believe it is what will get me.

Terrifying.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    There is no sign of it stopping at the college level. That is for certain. Increasingly, we run football programs with a college attached.
    I know. It doesn't bode well. There will be a point when it changes. How much damage will it take?
    Tom

Watching the lawsuit pay out will likely determine how much longer schools and business will accept the liability.

Your job is to get repeatedly hit in the head suffer irreversible damage, but don't kneel.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

It's already changing, just not necessarily in a nice clean linear fashion.
    I had (separate) concussion-related conversations with three coaches yesterday.

Youth-football coach: Numbers are way down, programs are merging or collapsing. Parents seem to fall into two distinct categories... 1) The kid wants to play football so I'm humoring him but the VERY FIRST time he gets his bell rung he's trading his cup for speedos, and 2) Hardcore football-culture nutjobs who take a handful of concussions as part of the character-building experience. Rub some dirt on it.

Youth hockey coach: Just wishing for some clear-cut policy/protocol on the issue. The youth organizations seem to defer to the parents' judgement, which is understandable, but SO MANY parents seem willfully ignorant of the hazards. He has a new kid on the team who switched from football after his third concussion (age 11). He's now had two more in three months as he becomes increasingly sensitive to head blows. The kid's parents are counting the days until he can get the doctor's note to return to full-contact.

Highschool hockey coach: The state athletic commission has established perfectly clear protocol (following a diagnosis) that does all the right things... but for the athletes it's REALLY ONEROUS (even a minor concussion effectively puts them out for half of the season) so they are very reluctant to report the injury. If they can keep one eye open, they'll try to play through it. He's developed a small "spy network" of nonparents (so no agenda) who are hyperalert for the warning signs.
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

I played football from pee wee to high school, and have some very serious neck issues because of it. I am not sure about any lingering affect from concussions, but I did suffer a couple of those. Would I do it all over again if I had the chance? My 16 year old self would, for sure. A 16 year old thinks he is bullet proof. It will never happen to me. That sort of thing. As a grandfather, do I want my grandson to play football? No, I don't. I want him to play soccer and baseball and sail and whatever else he wants to do, but not football. As the size and speed of the players has increased the damage they do to one another has as well, and I think it has reached the point where an awful lot of the pros are going to have problems in later life because of CTE.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Have you watched this?

While conducting an autopsy on former NFL football player Mike Webster (David Morse), forensic pathologist Dr. Bennet Omalu (Will Smith) discovers neurological deterioration that is similar to Alzheimer's disease. Omalu names the disorder chronic traumatic encephalopathy and publishes his findings in a medical journal. As other athletes face the same diagnosis, the crusading doctor embarks on a mission to raise public awareness about the dangers of football-related head trauma.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.