Thread: Oak rectangular-section chair spreaders / spindles = not Boat-Related at all

Default Oak rectangular-section chair spreaders / spindles = not Boat-Related at all

OK so this isn't boat related at all, but I'm rebuilding two Mission-style straight-back chairs and need one or more rectangular-section chair spreaders / spindles in oak. Any idea of what online reseller might carry 'em? All I'm finding is round turned spreaders / spindles.

These need to be 1" x 3/4" rectangular section by either 13 3/4" or 14 1/4" long (not counting pegs). And yes, I know I could make 'em myself but don't have the tools to make the round pegs at the ends, and would rather not have those pegs drilled and glued into the ends of each spreader. Thanks!
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Default Re: Oak rectangular-section chair spreaders / spindles = not Boat-Related at all

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    OK so this isn't boat related at all, but I'm rebuilding two Mission-style straight-back chairs and need one or more rectangular-section chair spreaders / spindles in oak. Any idea of what online reseller might carry 'em? All I'm finding is round turned spreaders / spindles.

These need to be 1" x 3/4" rectangular section by either 13 3/4" or 14 1/4" long (not counting pegs). And yes, I know I could make 'em myself but don't have the tools to make the round pegs at the ends, and would rather not have those pegs drilled and glued into the ends of each spreader. Thanks!
    Got any pictures? I'll bet I could make the pegs with a tenon saw and a rasp.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Default Re: Oak rectangular-section chair spreaders / spindles = not Boat-Related at all

My favorite "Go to" guys are Osborne Wood Products and Van Dyke Restorers

You could try at Van Dyke's. If they don't stock what you need, perhaps they'll know of a source.

https://www.vandykes.com

Jeff

I looked at Van Dyke but couldn't find any rectangular cross section ones in the right size -- I may try calling them.
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

What kind of Oak?
    (send me a drawing/cartoon?)

You don't have one of these? Sheesh!

Jake -

Either red or white oak will work stained to match, but the chair appears to be the usual red oak construction.

I know, I should rush right out and buy that thingie for sure! ;-)

I won't know exactly how many or what length I'll need until I finish deconstruction both chairs. None of the other spreaders **look cracked** but you never know until they're removed completely.

The right sized plug/bung cutter would make a round tenon on a stretcher.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Of course, if you can find a larger-profile one, but with the right length and tenon size, then the required mods are pretty straightforward.

Chip

Jake -

Either red or white oak will work stained to match, but the chair appears to be the usual red oak construction.

I know, I should rush right out and buy that thingie for sure! ;-)

I won't know exactly how many or what length I'll need until I finish deconstruction both chairs. None of the other spreaders **look cracked** but you never know until they're removed completely.
    Is it like this?

If so just saw a square tenon, then round it as though you were rounding a spar. Saw it 8 sided, then take the corners off with a rasp.. Simples.

Somewhere around here I have some instructions on how to post a photo...

I could turn them for you on my lathe but Jake is a lot closer.

Jeeze, you'd think this Forum was all about BUILDING stuff from wood rather than BUYING stuff. Sigh. If I posted photos it would just bring out the worst in everybody, I can tell... ;-)

Hokay, I'll take the chairs apart and see just how many spreaders of what length I'll need, then dust off the tools and see what I can cobble together.

BTW, I have this and you can borrow it (It is sharp, and does a passible job)

Jeeze, you'd think this Forum was all about BUILDING stuff from wood rather than BUYING stuff. Sigh. If I posted photos it would just bring out the worst in everybody, I can tell... ;-)

Hokay, I'll take the chairs apart and see just how many spreaders of what length I'll need, then dust off the tools and see what I can cobble together.
    Looking forward to seeing your version of :cobble"

If epoxying them in were OK I would just make rectangular tenons on the table saw then use a chisel to make slightly oversized mortises then assemble using thickened epoxy. That would be easier, for me anyway, and stronger.

Actually a real Mission chair will employ rectangular mortise and tenons, not round dowels.

Jeff

If you need round dowel ends, I can always bring over the MkII spring pole lathe.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Looking forward to seeing your version of :cobble"
    Real chair makers don't cobble, they bodge.

Nick I can't do it but could you post here the vid of bodgers at work...?1960s High Wickham methinks ....... and seriously nice chair...looks like a John Makepeace design, or one of your own?
    When you come to a fork in the road , take it.

Smarter than the average bear, Booboo

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    Nick I can't do it but could you post here the vid of bodgers at work...?1960s High Wickham methinks ....... and seriously nice chair...looks like a John Makepeace design, or one of your own?
    I did not know what a Mission style chair was, so Googled and put up an image for Thorne to confirm that is what he was working on.

To be precise, bodgers were the men working in the woods making the legs on a pole lathe. The wood was worked green, so by the time it had seasoned the turning was oval, hence the disparaging use of "bodge".
    This is bodging in the Chilterns

Windsor to follow.
    Last edited by Peerie Maa; 11-10-2017 at 01:21 PM.

The Windsor chair with the steamed bow back.

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    Actually a real Mission chair will employ rectangular mortise and tenons, not round dowels.

Jeff
    I've been wondering about this detail. A rectangular stretcher is just going to spin around when someone puts their foot on it unless it uses 2 dowels or a square/rectangular tenon.
    Maybe it is not apart yet?
    Chairs are fussy little machines. Some of the best woodworkers I know said "I don't do chairs" ! Not that they couldn't, just that it was not profitable, and people can get hurt if you get it wrong. Chair restorations can be a daunting task even if they were assembled with hide glue.
    (Years ago there was a man in our shop that bid on regluing, and refinishing 100 Oak chairs for a local upscale restaurant. He won the bid of course, and lost his butt on that job. Just stripping them took over a month. Then repairing, replacing bits and refinishing was another couple of months. The restaurant was demolished, reduced to rubble, in the '89 earthquake!)

Hey! Keep your clobber feet off of the chair stretchers!

Jeff

Good luck with that!
    To reach into the cupboards in the kitchen my wife uses them as a step to stand up onto the seat...

Good point! I'll clean out the snapped dowels and see what shape they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    I've been wondering about this detail. A rectangular stretcher is just going to spin around when someone puts their foot on it unless it uses 2 dowels or a square/rectangular tenon.
    Maybe it is not apart yet?
    Chairs are fussy little machines. Some of the best woodworkers I know said "I don't do chairs" ! Not that they couldn't, just that it was not profitable, and people can get hurt if you get it wrong. Chair restorations can be a daunting task even if they were assembled with hide glue.
    (Years ago there was a man in our shop that bid on regluing, and refinishing 100 Oak chairs for a local upscale restaurant. He won the bid of course, and lost his butt on that job. Just stripping them took over a month. Then repairing, replacing bits and refinishing was another couple of months. The restaurant was demolished, reduced to rubble, in the '89 earthquake!)