Thread: Grumbles with a silver lining

Default Grumbles with a silver lining

What makes a person mad isn't how bad is the offense against you so much as the needlessness of it. For example:

1) I have a new faucet with a subtle EPA "watersense" emblem. Of course this means it is virtually unusable unless you run it for ages to collect the feeble flow. Didn't we learn from the restricted showers that just make 1 damp clean spot on your chest and saver toilets that have to be flushed 5 times that this is counterproductive for water waste? This faucet even relies on an included tool to access the offending water restricter, which they hope customers will lose before they figure taking a teensy o ring out of there will restore flow and cleaning power. Otherwise the toothpaste you spit in the sink is going to build up stalagmites under that dribble. A rancid smelling unwashed vagrant may not be homeless but a surgeon using these stupid watersense fixtures, and I hope in the emergency room they spread germs to the idiots who impose these rules.

3) I traded in a beautifully kept and driveable vehicle, but lost over 75% of its tradein value for a frivolous reason. If it lacked a moonroof it would be very valuable. Because it has one that is jammed closed (and I accepted it that way without complaint or discount when I bought it) it is near worthless! Are people so rich and prissy that a mighty supercharged beautiful car is simply junk. Can I have just welded it shut and painted over to do better?

3) Here is the silver lining... Our police department has turned the tide against the trend of 80% of retiring high officers getting ultra lucrative (often unverifiable like backaches) disability nicknamed chief's disease: http://legacy.sandiegouniontribune.c...s_1n11chp.html Not only a break in that revolving door but also a break in nepotism. The FBI has a quarter million pieces of evidence of our previous police chief and his prosecutor wife extorting money from their extended family to fund a Maserati and champagne lifestyle. Literally kicking 90 something grannies out of the house they own, literally robbing orphans of their deceased parents inheritance, and putting false felony charges on a complaining uncle to discredit his testimony. Having elite cops with "refrigerator builds" intimidate - not us taxpayers - but complaining family members.

I misplaced the best link for this story and may have a few facts wrong, but the new breathtaking part are their courtroom shenanigans - a beacon to anyone on how to sabotage criminal justice that you don't agree with For instance it is easy to trigger a mistrial by making some false accusation against a witness, and after a couple mistrials the prosecutors generally give up. Now they are up to something in defense attorney turnover - thanks to them for shining a light on the loopholes.

P.S. which way are one arm faucet handles supposed to work? One gives hot water by pulling and the other by pushing - it is thusly marked on them, Is there a convention?
    Last edited by rudderless; 11-09-2017 at 01:32 AM.

Default Re: Grumbles with a silver lining

Quote Originally Posted by rudderless View Post

P.S. which way are one arm faucet handles supposed to work? One gives hot water by pulling and the other by pushing - it is thusly marked on them, Is there a convention?
    In my part of the world, push-pull regulates flow, and moving the lever to the left gives hot water, to the right cold.

P.S. If not having a working moonroof cost you 75% of your trade in value, it would have made sense to pay to have it fixed. I bet that's what the car dealer did!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    In my part of the world, push-pull regulates flow, and moving the lever to the left gives hot water, to the right cold.

P.S. If not having a working moonroof cost you 75% of your trade in value, it would have made sense to pay to have it fixed. I bet that's what the car dealer did!
    Not if the car was worth $2K & the sunroof fix was $1.5K - which could easily happen on most German cars.

Faucet: Do you mean a single handle - or one handle for hot & one for cold? If the latter - then there is no standard I know of. Some use same direction for hot & cold, some use opposite (outside towards or away).
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Yes, a low price but high value German tradein car. To make my tradein virtually add 50% in value I tried something many said was impossible. I proposed the large balance for my new car be charged to my credit card where I had signed up for some holiday promotion of getting well over 2% cash rebate for any purchase. I immediately paid it off, but note this cost the dealer something like 4% towards the cc company. The dealer could have applied that to doubling the value of my trade-in sans cc, but basically wanted that money to go to anybody but me!

Yes, those were right armed single faucet handles. I'm surprised the left handed defamation league doesn't rise up. One of them could have been rotated to put the arm towards the sink and operate more intuitively. I realize the feed hoses can be swapped, but they have squishy critical seals that don't like reseating, especially if they have been overtightened like red blooded males tend to do.

Here is the scenario you will eventually face with EPA waterSense faucets, even if you found the original dribble flow bearable. The filter/diffuser will get clogged and you will reach for the familiar twist off screened nozzle. But you will find there is no more handhold. Use a mirror or a gymnastic pose to peer into the recessed outlet. There are fine slots around the screen where maybe toothpicks or if seized a bent-open tweezers can start twisting it off (assuming the special tool is missing). I followed the installation instructions of not mounting the screen until flushing the faucet, but in the future I face buckets of rust building up from upstream maintenance.

Now just think if the EPA thought this thru more. If they imposed a push-pull standard, I wouldn't be accidentally pushing the wrong way out of habit and wasting cold water waiting for what I thought was a slow to warm up hot flow. For now I will have to fight falling into a habit or label it better... thanks.
    Last edited by rudderless; 11-12-2017 at 06:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rudderless View Post
    What makes a person mad isn't how bad is the offense against you so much as the needlessness of it. For example:

1) I have a new faucet with a subtle EPA "watersense" emblem. Of course this means it is virtually unusable unless you run it for ages to collect the feeble flow.
    My wife hates the new kitchen faucet for exactly this reason. Some people are drilling out the restrictor, but that means removing the darn thing and the location is really hard to work on.

One tip that works with our new faucet - which I mostly love. If I'm in a big hurry to fill a container, or want hot water fast... the separate sprayer is unregulated, and very high pressure. Prolly peel paint if misdirected, and fills up a big pot muy rapido.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    My wife hates the new kitchen faucet for exactly this reason. Some people are drilling out the restrictor, but that means removing the darn thing and the location is really hard to work on.
    You can unscrew the recessed diffuser on my bathroom one, using a mirror to locate the slots to grip into (with spread tweezers?). Before drilling into the removed restrictor capsule, I took it apart and kept reassembling it with one random piece missing. Each experiment gave a workable but strongish flow, but the closest to ideal came from removing a tiny O ring exactly the size of that letter on my screen.

The faucet flow restriction is usually due to just the aerator on the end. (Verify by removing aerator and checking flow.) Remove aerator by unscrewing, pull it apart, remove the flow restriction but not everything, you want the parts that split the flow into a dozen smaller flows as that reduces splashing and noise (It's nearly identical to "hush kits" fitted on the aft end of old jet engines!) Reassemble and reinstall, it should work great (did for me). Periodically pull apart to clean, I find small bits of what look like tiny carbon stones inside after time.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

We are talking specifically about the new EPA waterSense plumbing fixtures, which seem intentionally sabotaged to prevent consumer access to their 30% restricted aerator. Unless you are swapping their aerator into your existing easy screw in one.

I was browsing the EPA pages on the watersense program specifications for toilet, faucet, shower etc, then it started locking me out of all pages due to a permission problem (including the pages I had already visited). So typical and reminiscent of the O-no-care web page incompetence and hostility. Well, you can look it up.

It did appear that they aren't targeting kitchen fixtures yet. But don't find comfort in your past ability to swap out their restrictors, as they are trying to make this difficult and be put into most new construction. Instead of their "damp spot" showerhead, I would prefer a strong shower with a timer that injected deadly acid for anyone going overtime. Don't stereotype folks as long-shower zombies my dear EPA nannies; some of us want to get the job over with but this takes adequate flushing flow.

P.S. The localized water shortages are typically solvable in other ways. Often too much water is allocated to crops, especially water hungry ones. If you import water thirsty crops from wet places afar, that is like importing vast amounts of water. "Buying local" is a false dream - transportation costs from more appropriate crop areas are negligible as a percent. For a thousand years the ancient Romans had scads of aqueducts keeping dry cities awash in cleaning water (free public baths, etc) and imported enough grain from afar to give out free bread at times. Now we lack the will to do what is even more easily technologically achievable. It's an abundantly blue planet for a reason.

P.P.S. When I look at almost any gov't maintained lawn, it is awash in careless/damaged sprinkler setup creating lakes and swamps. It may be a stealthy night thing and it certainly runs during the rainy times. Try calling them about it and they take no responsibility... "maybe that is a municipal or county or other concern, but not ours" sez them. Instead of pushing citizens into the pre-Roman era of cleanliness, put your own house in order bureaucrats. Form a lawn sprinkler inspection team and heal thyself.
    Last edited by rudderless; 11-12-2017 at 09:03 PM.