Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 45

Thread: Schooner Row

Default Re: Schooner Row

Anne's Grand Parents had a house on the Little Island. I met Anne when she was working at the Jolly Roger and going to UC Irvine.
    Jay

Yes indeed, Grant's was one of my favorites as well. I used to buy the ten gauge blanks I used for my starting cannon there.
    Jay

Grant's was a magical place for me as a kid. I am 66 now and I still have some things I got there while in elementary school. It may sound strange, but Grant's had its own smell. A smell of things long in storage, of assorted preservatives (mothballs, cosmoline, and ?), of ... Grant's.

Back then it was fashionable in Newport to show disdain for Goat Hill, but I loved that side of Irvine Ave. Jim's Barber Shop and Creeley's Bookstore on 17th. The businesses in the old Quonsett huts on Newport. All the delightful owner-built or owner-remodeled houses in the area between there and Irvine Ave. The houses in that loosely regulated zone had small businesses, artist's studios of all sorts, boats of all sizes under construction. I found it much more charming than the oh-so-clean housing developments on our side of Irvine Ave.

Of course, Grants is gone now! There was talk about a fast food drive through going in but, fortunately, that has been voted down. I remember seventeenth street prior to commercial construction being done on it. The corner of 17th & Irvine was bordered by Eucalyptus trees. The fields there were owned by a Portagee family who had a vegetable stand facing 17th. My folks called her "Myself" because she would always say "Hi keeds, Myself I am happy to see you!" There was an old converted board and batten house that was an Italian market across the street from her vegetable stand. Great cheese and Italian sausage aromas hit your nose as you came through the door to order a subway. It was a good time and place to grow up with boats.
    Jay

Here is a view of the entrance area to Newport Harbor possibly taken in the early 1940's prior to WWII note that there are no trees in the area of the famous "Wedge" surfing beach at the junction of the West Jetty and the beach. The Gillett house can be seen behind it and arcross the channel is the historic China House perched on the rock at "Rocky Point" and "Pirate's Cave Beach". The China House was razed and replaced by an ugly modern example of Architectorture some twenty years ago. Newport Beach has no historic structure criteria for the protection of homes and businesses that once added to the charm of the area! Every on is interested in how much profit can be made by putting up new structures that are nauseating to look at when compared to what they replace!

Note the lack of development on the coast here! It was nice and the air was clean!

Also seen in the channel is the schooner "Puritan". That is the schooner that Sterling Hayden and Spike Africa sailed from the East Coast to Newport Beach before young Hayden went to work with the movie industry. He was always a bit of a rebel! My kind of guy!
    Jay

Another note is that I own one of the first houses that were built on Balboa Island in S. Ca. This house was the one room tool storage shack for the construction of the first bridge to the Island in 1912. It was also use for storing fishing gear. As a result it had the charming name,
    "The Old Fish House" back in those days. Once the rickety old wooden bridge was built, the house was dragged on rollers to its current location on the north Bayfront of the Island and is now known as the "Toyon Boat Club". No plastic boats allowed! The house has undergone many additions since it was the "Old Fish House" but the center core can still be seen and is now the kitchen area. Since the garage area was built for model T Fords, it is too small for most modern cars. It is my boat shop. Note the big kedge anchor on the lower left It is from one of the Terminal Island Ferrys. It holds down the house when the Santa Ana Winds blow!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 04-15-2018 at 01:44 PM.

OK Ratey,
    Here is one so old that it is before my time! On the bluff at the intersection of Dover Drive and PCH just above and beyond the Bayshore Bridge
    was this farm house that overlooked the entire harbor. On a clear day one could see both Catalina and San Clamente Island. Here it is just in the beginning stages of becoming what was to be the local watering hole, long long before Slocum's was more than a muddy spot on the Bay!

By the time I was at Harbor High School, the place was going full bore and had a South Sea motif in the interior. The wooden floors creaked and the place smelled of BBQ, beer and woven palm frond matting. There was a sign on the bluff that read: " THE CASTAWAY'S". It was like a small version of the "HOLLYWOOD" Sign. Any one that drove PCH could not miss that eight foot high sign! One night, we seniors from Harbor Hi took great pleasure in climbing the bluff after the last patron closed the bar and the staff left. Next morning the sign read, "ASS AWAY". Ah for the simple pleasures of youth! Those were the days my friends! The Castaways is long gone but the area is preserved as a native plant preserve and park. The hiking trails are primo! And, on a clear day, you can still see Catalina and San Clamente Island!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 04-15-2018 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post

Anybody recognize this one? We found the picture while going through some of the stuff my late mother had stashed away. My father had simply written "Someday-with love" on the back. I'm guessing he took it around 1960, he grew up in El Segundo and went to UC Berkeley about that time.
    That would be 98 foot steel schooner MORNING STAR, built in Italy in 1927. MS was first-to-finish the Honolulu Transpac in 1947, 1949, and re-rigged as a ketch, in 1955. My father sailed aboard in '49 as weatherman and I remember visiting aboard as she was being fitted out. More to the MORNING STAR story is here: https://www.stfyc.com/default.aspx?p...s=&ssid=334781

Went to the Goucester (MA) Schooner Festival this weekend. From left to right Tree of Life, Brilliant, Columbia, Bluenose 2, and Lynx. The first 3 were class winners.
    Gloucester Schooners.jpg,

Do you have any more photos you can post of those fine looking boats? "Lynx" is a bewitching looking lady!
    Jay

Jay,
    Here is a photo of Lynx heading out with her sails up. The Gloucester Schooner Adventure is the big one at the dock. I will post more photos later.
    Fred
    Lynx.jpg

A shot of the start at Gloucester. Columbia about to pass When and If. Columbia is new and very fast. When and If is General Patton's old boat.
    Start.jpg
    Last edited by Schooner36; 09-05-2018 at 12:31 PM.

Great Fotos! Thank you Fred!
    Jay

Here is Tree of Life.
    Attachment 22317

And Brilliant
    Attachment 22318

Jay
    Here is a shot from last year, the Nova Scotia Schooner Association Summer races in Shelbourne.
    DSCF7840.jpg
    Malabar 2 in the foreground and Columbia in the background.

They are working on top of the foremast on Columbia - dealing with the foretops'l
    Columbia foretop.jpg