Thread: Schooner Row

Default Schooner Row

Here is a shot taken of Schooner Row in Newport Beach Ca back in 1948.
    Some of the famous boats that can be seen here are:
    "Goodwill, Puritan, Vega and Lucky Star". Schooner row was located on the property that became the Balboa Bay Club. Lido Island is across the bay from it. There were a lot of houses there back then.
    Sorry, about the small size, the picture is as large as I could make it.
    Jay

Default Re: Schooner Row

is one of those schooners, 2nd from rt Coronet or was she in Gloucester by then?

I remember her hulk there in the 80's early 90's

WOW!!

Some would say that Newport today is an improvement over Newport back then. I would not be one of them! I'd be perfectly happy just to go back 30 years. I'm sorry I wasted many years of my youth sailing tupperware go-fast sortaboats.
    Schooner captains love to get blown offshore!

Me too Ratty, Thirty years ago when I drove down the road into Port Townsend it was like entering a time warp back to old Newport Beach. I pray that the good city planners do not do what was done to old Newport here! In my opinion, the only place on the coast so far that has been done right and with sensitivity is Crystal Cove.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfxK70D3CsE
    Jay

One reason I write on this forum is to share those things that seem to be worthwhile so far as saving things that once brought joy to many of us in the past!
    One does not always need a brass marching band to bring things that warm the heart and mind. It is often the simplicity of human spirit and creativity, things that are fashioned by hand and mind that bring that which is worth preserving!
    Jay

I don't think Port Townsend is in any immediate danger. You've got the weather up there to keep the riff-raff away. It's the only thing stopping me. Crystal Cove was in a lot of trouble a while back. I'm glad that cooler heads prevailed. I'm also quite fond of Seal Beach. This small town just south of Long Beach has managed to progress enough to keep the city viable but yet retain much of the charm that attracted me in my youth. Huntington Beach, on the other hand...........Surf City is DEAD!!

My Dad ran the O.B. pharmacy on the corner of Main & Coast Hiway in HB in the late 40's I remember the horse collars for the delivery wagon that still hung on the cellar wall.
    When I was a kid, Dad used to take me to the lagoon at Seal Beach to fish for scollops. He had a rig that looked like a leaf rake that was made out of wire and was attached to a surf pole. Dad would cast it out, when the tide was right, and reel it back in. The scollops would hang on to the bent wire tines.
    Those days are now gone as a result of progress.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    is one of those schooners, 2nd from rt Coronet or was she in Gloucester by then?

I remember her hulk there in the 80's early 90's
    I believe you are thinking of the East Coast for Coronet.
    Jay

You pre-date me by a few years. I think the lagoon that you speak of is now known as Anaheim Bay. The wetlands, just south of there, under-went a massive restoration about a decade ago. One other triumph of conservation over development. I was only ever aware of rock scallops around here. Dang, I had to expend a whole lot of energy hammering, prying, and sucking air out of a bottle to get mine. Sitting around waiting for the tide. It somehow just doesn't sound right.

Quote Originally Posted by SchoonerRat View Post
    You pre-date me by a few years. I think the lagoon that you speak of is now known as Anaheim Bay. The wetlands, just south of there, under-went a massive restoration about a decade ago. One other triumph of conservation over development. I was only ever aware of rock scallops around here. Dang, I had to expend a whole lot of energy hammering, prying, and sucking air out of a bottle to get mine. Sitting around waiting for the tide. It somehow just doesn't sound right.
    Going OT - but the similarity is there. Clamming in Ellsworth ME in the 1970s was 2 people dig for 45 min. to get enough for 4 people to pig out. Nowadays, 2 people for 45 min. might get you enough for an appetizer for 2.

@ Jay: Thanks for these posts (OK - all of your posts) - they are wonderful!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I figure that OT is fine as long as the OP goes with you. So further OT we go.

My poison of choice was abalone. It's the only thing I can cook that comes out tasting like something you'd like to try again. I can remember free diving in Laguna and sometimes coming up with 2 legal abs on a single lungful. A decade or 2 later and you had to cross the great silver pond and empty a tank of air to get your limit. I think Catalina Island is now completely off limits to ab fishing.

Jay,

Sharing is, indeed, the reason for forums like this. Sharing is what brought me to a decade of schooner charters. How can one better share a beautiful schooner than to sail her through a crowded anchorage.

Well now there then Ratty, words well said by you!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 11-10-2017 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    I believe you are thinking of the East Coast for Coronet.
    Jay

so true! though she did circumnavigate at one point, I looked up her history and aparently she was back on the east coast before the 1960's, so that white hulled plumb bowed beauty in your photo could not have been her.

another full schooner breeze!

Thanks for the posts Jay. I remember seeing Puritan in Antigua in '79 or 80. I was amazed.

I believe it was Sterling Hayden and Spike Africa that brought "Puritan" to the West Coast. She later hung on a mooring off of H Street on the Balboa Peninsula.
    A book called "One More Summer" and the film of the same name told the tale. Smaller than Pioneer "Puritan" was a beauty! I think she had a steel hull.

The Schooner Fleet also anchored in the Lido Island Turning Basin for a while. "Volunteer" seen in the photo above, doesn't need a gollywobbler to look awesome! She was AWSOME!
    Jay

The most awsome restoration of a wooden boat I am aware of is the restoration of the 1888 Schooner "Coronet". It was taken on by Elizebeth Meyer when she had just finished her restoration project with the J boat "Endeavour". She founded IYRS and was highly involved with saving the "Coronet".
    A very interesting film on the project can be found here!
    Jay
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaoiGP8I-yM
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 11-18-2017 at 03:41 PM.

She didn't make it to Newport til the '50s so she was a little late to the party, but her green hull was a fixture there for decades. She has been re-born and is living a new life in Europe. Of all the boats that I've sailed, she is the one that grabbed my heart and didn't let go. Just like the mythical Kelpies who inspired her name.

?Did she have runners when you sailed her, Rat

Yes, runners and a permanent backstay out at the end of her boomkin (that she used to have). Although they weren't really necessary until the wind came up, I always set them. It gave me something to play with while my mate was tacking the jib and forestays'l.

Probably more important now that she has a gaff main.

Much more important now that she has no permanent backstay.

kelpie.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    The most awsome restorations of a wooden boat I am aware of is the restoration of the 1888 Schooner "Coronet". It was taken on by Elizebeth Meyer when she had just finished her restoration project with the J boat "Endeavour". She founded IYRS and was highly involved with saving the "Coronet".
    A very interesting film on the project can be found here!
    Jay
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaoiGP8I-yM
    My fiancée and I were in Newport this last summer and got a tour of Coronet courtesy of one of the school directors. The work completed so far is magnificent; frames, deck beams, breast hook, knees, mast partners, most of the outside planking, and a good deal of the inside planking are done. Unfortunately, we learned that the project has been on hiatus since a good many months prior to our visit. A lull in funds available to keep things going is the problem. Confidence was good that things would get started again at some point in the not too distant future. I certainly hope so. I've worked, vis a vis my tenure with Port Townsend Foundry some years ago, with most of the principles involved in this project and know for certain that they can follow through on a project of this scope. Bob McNeil's last big project was the 126' Victorian era steam yacht Cangarda.
    Chuck Hancock

In the same vein, "Kelpie" has had more restorations than the average boat. I believe it has been four or even five! She looks good in white but I miss the green!
    Jay

Her last restoration was about as serious as you can get. She's racing the Med circuit now. Those Europeans are sticklers about restorations on our American classics. They must adhere to the boat's original plan as close as possible. In researching her, it was discovered that her stern shape was changed during one of her re-builds. She has now had a butt lift, a face lift, and a whole new wardrobe because none of her old clothes would fit on her new spars. Her fir decks have been replaced with teak, as she was originally. Boomkin is gone. Offset companionway is gone. Cockpit coamings are gone. Lifelines are gone. Coffee grinder is gone. About the only thing I recognize is her wheel, but the turk's head I tied on the kingspoke is gone.

I've seen her through a new bow, two new sterns and then Wayne Ettle took the hog out of her and put in a new sheer clamp and a new shelf and clamp. Then came the new deck. Later she got a new set of bulwarks at Pete the Pirate's Yard. I carved her name in them forward. Then they replaced them again and one piece of the carvings is on Ernie Minney's mantle piece. Then, she was done over again for what we see now!
    Jay

HI BUNCH, HERE IS ANOTHER SHOT OF "SCHOONER ROW" FROM THE SOUTH.
    Check out Newport Harbor HS on the upper left with it's bell tower and all the new roads! Cliff Drive is paved, but most of Kings Road isn’t. Dover Drive looks like a trail over there on the right. Ernie Minney posted this on Facebook in the "I grew up in Newport Beach BEFORE it was the OC” group.

Jay

Sorta like the view Japanese bomber pilots had of battleship row in Pearl Harbor the morning of 07 Dec 41.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Schooner Row?

Looks like that guy leading the parade on the west didn't get the memo.

That's a great shot. I'm too young to remember Newport like that, but the Newport of my youth was a lot less developed than the Newport of now.

schoonerrow.jpg

The marina on the right is Port Orange where fishermen could buy a ticket and catch a day or half day boat and fish off the coast. The boat with the clipper bow is the "Pioneer". Ahead of her is "Goodwill". The 135' "Goodwill" raced in the1953 Transpac. She was owned by Ralph Larabee and sank with the loss of all hands at night on the Sacramento Reef off the coast of Mexico. I believe the last to the right it the 75' "Idalia" The big boats later anchored in the basin off of the Lido Island Bridge. Later the city of Newport Beach, allegedly,
    taxed the anchoring rights enough to cause the big boats to find other places to tie up.
    Jay