Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20 pounds

Default Re: 20 pounds

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I think our merchants must select for dark.
    That could be. Maybe they figure consumers would be skeptical of it if it didn't have enough "red" in it.

I like the accent stripe at the sheer.

I must caution you, however, about parking her so close to that fishystinky boat. Next thing you know... that little canoe is gonna insist on going out with her big brother to chase tunny.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Lovely...
    Lucky girl

Looking good! The idea of not filling the topsides is an interesting one. It might yield some sort of interesting two-tone texture thing if you can get a clean line. I suppose the divider could always be hidden under a rubrail if it had to be, though it might eat up most of what you saved on weight. We never filled insides at all. It just seemed like a waste to add a couple pounds of excess weight, lose the interior nonskid, and lower the strength to weight ratio just for interior cosmetics. We kept a big block of ethafoam packing foam and a Rapala fillet knife handy. Then we could cut off foam-slab squeegees about 3/8" thick whenever needed. I've never found any other tool which worked as well for generating a perfectly uniform, "combed-out" weave texture on glass cloth. Interiors looked pretty good, despite the texture, simply because they came out so neat and uniform.

There are folks who are offended by seeing weave texture anywhere on strippers because it lessens the perfectly transparent look. I tend to be more offended by overweight canoes.

Blardy beeyoodeefull!
    Bald, ugly, not too bright but incredibly sexy in an unattractive sort of way....

Thumbs up Re: 20 pounds

Nice work Lee.
    She's a beauty.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Very nice. I seem to recall Thoreau indicating that the Maine Native Americans referred to the kingfisher as, "skookumchuck", but I can't seem to find that reference. An Abenaki dictionary seems to suggest, "Cheskwadadas".

Have fun.

Fitz
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    The idea of not filling the topsides is an interesting one. It might yield some sort of interesting two-tone texture thing if you can get a clean line...
    Well, I am calling "topsides" everything above the 3.5" waterline I painted to, which on this very arc-bottom hull is below the turn of the bilge. Of course, right at the turn of the bilge is an area that may get significant abrasion now and again, and I may regret not having more scratch resistance down there.

But, as I say, it's an experiment. We'll see how it works in practice, modify as necessary.

Could have used the foam squeegee technique to brush the weave, I do have some shiny spots. Next time.

can we get details on how you did the kingfisher?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I cheated. Though on my defense, it had to be done upside down.

So I made a paper stencil for positioning and proportions:

20171024_161920.jpg

Then I burned the outline and some contours:

20171024_170110.jpg

Finished with watercolors:

20171028_114901.jpg

She is purty!

I too like the accent strips (whether or not they were done on purpose) - but I also get that cutting her down a bit might make her a bit more graceful. Does the tip of the wing interfere with a cut down?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Spectacular. Especially the Kingfisher. Unique.

As to weight control, I've found Peel Ply is the best thing ever invented. Everything is done in one coat of epoxy over light weight glass. Best of all... NO SANDING!
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    Best of all... NO SANDING!
    none?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    none?
    Nope. Well, no sanding of the glass/resin matrix afterward to get it smooth, if you did your prep work. It leaves a perfect surface. It is awesome stuff, worth every penny.

Peace,
    Robert

None. It leaves a very, very fine mesh pattern that has the ideal tooth for a coat of paint or varnish.

Also, it's perfect for epoxy/glass tape fillets because it fills the gap normally left at the edge of the tape. The edge disappears = no fillet sanding.

Any amine blush is pulled off with the fabric so there's no scrubbing.

But again, the weight saving comes from needing only a single application of epoxy. No sand and fill, sand and fill. ONE and DONE. Time saver extraordinaire.
    Last edited by John of Phoenix; 11-07-2017 at 11:14 AM.
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    None. It leaves a very, very fine mesh pattern that has the ideal tooth for a coat of paint or varnish.

It's perfect for epoxy/glass tape fillets because it fills the gap normally left at the edge of the tape. The edge disappears.

Any amine blush is pulled off with the fabric so there's no scrubbing.
    I typically use heavy plastic sheet for tapes, anymore. It’s easy to see the state of the matrix through the plastic, easy to squeegee through the plastic, and it leaves a very smooth surface, including a buried selvage. Admittedly not as “toothy” as a peel ply finish, but the same basic end result.

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. Also great for spot patching of glass. Lay the patch on the plastic, wet it out, apply plastic and cloth to hull, squeegee it all flat and smooth, and go have a milkshake.
    It’s how I glassed the nearly vertical “house” sides of my dumb boat. Small pieces of glass, I mean.

"my milkshake brings all the boys to the hood. . ."

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    "my milkshake brings all the boys to the hood. . ."
    And they’re like, it’s better than yours...

Peace,
    Kelis