Thread: Influential Yachts

Default Influential Yachts

The Mirror Dinghy has been voted 7th most influential Yacht of all time.

The top 7 from the list are

Mariquita 1911, designed by William Fife III
    Abn Amro One 2005, Juan Kouyoumdjian
    TP52 Patches 2007, Reichel Pugh
    B&Q/Castorama 2004, Nigel Irens
    Ragtime, J/241976, Rod Johnstone
    Tribe, Gunboat 62 2001, Peter Johnstone
    Mirror Dinghy 1962, Jack Holt (and Barry Bucknell)

I think the word influence is very much open to opinion but as a dye in the wool dinghy sailor I believe 1 to 6 should be removed. I would add international 14, Optimist and Hobie 16 (sorry not Wooden, I could add Laser also).
    Their tag line was that the ‘Yacht’ should ‘change the way we sail’. I would argue some rich boys TP52 or the ocean racing B&Q (I could go on) have done diddly squat to influence or improve 99% of sailors life.

Interested in the forums view

https://tinkboats.wordpress.com
    http://proasail.blogspot.co.uk
    What I get up to
    https://youtu.be/X9NZEyvpb_Y Streaker dinghy
    https://youtu.be/oni-3rJzxqQ Sail Canoe
    https://youtu.be/eW078PPgJak Proa

Default Re: Influential Yachts

I wonder who did the voting.

I'd add two from opposite ends of the spectrum
    Formule TAG. - Later known as ENZA - http://www.yachtingworld.com/blogs/e...sad-sight-4191

The Folkboat.
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

I would have included "Myth of Malham" ,Uffa's "Avenger" and the first foiling Moth-which may have been Andy Patterson's.I think a case could also be made for both "America" and "Dorade".

I would vote for J.A.Normand Velox (1875), whose master-section was completely new in 1875 and was copied by about 95% of the yachts built between 1880 and 1940.

Influential by what standard?

I'd bet that several other voting areas would not list any of these with possible exception of the Mirror.
    Tom L

Lets rewrite history.

Windsurfer?

Seabird Yawl

Wharram cats

Not wood, but Herreshoff's Reliance, if for no other reason than it shook up the racing rule-creators.

Alex

Van de stadt Black Soo.

My first boat was a Mirror. I used to carry it on the roof of a Hillman Imp.

Wow, what a terrible list.

In all the reading I've done in old books and mags, Mariquita never comes up apart from perhaps a mention as one of a fleet. Same with Patches and Tarantella. What in the world did Endeavour do? The Gunboat was a complete flop in many ways. ABN Amro? Canters remain a minute proportion of the racing world, let alone the rest of sailing. Compare them to the 49er's impact, which may also be over-rated but it's vastly larger. Among the maxis, why not Windward Passage or Ragtime (the John Spencer ULDB)? Pen Duick? Okay, she introduced water ballast but who cares? Almost no one uses it.

Why B&Q?? Why not Apricot, Paragon, Manureva, Manu Kai, Fijicolour, Enza????

The Mirror is perhaps a good choice, but by the time it came out the dinghy boom was well and truly on its way, so it arguably followed in the footsteps of the Cadet and GP14, not to mention the Snipe. The Mirror also had very little influence in the USA, South America, central or Eastern Europe, Scandinavia or Asia. The Laser and Snipe had huge influence in those areas.

For me, I'd have to go for;

1- Snipe. It had truly worldwide influence, being built just about everywhere and inspiring the Pirat (northern Europe), probably the Caneton Bris (an important French boat), the Vee Jay (an Australian junior class and about 4th most popular boat in the world for some time and of significant influence on 14s and winged skiffs), designers like NZ's John Spencer (a vital link and influence to the Bethwaites and 49ers etc) and a representative of the enormously popular Rudder designs;

2- the Cadet, which kicked off the Holt/Moore/Yachting World line that lead to the GP14, Ent, Solo, Hornet, etc. Imagine if it had flopped?

3- J/24.

4- Manu Kai, which kicked off the offshore multi movement.

5- the Moth, which basically introduced foils and wings, and was also 5th most popular boat in the US at a critical time and very popular in NZ, Australia and France. Even before foils, it lead racing dinghy design.

6- A group of Bob Fish's boats, which introduced the racing centreboarder to the UK, Germany, France (I think) and effectively to Australia.

7- Windsurfer, with honorary mention to Mike Waltze's Waimea Bay Gun that introduced the shortboard.

8- The Rob Roy Canoes, which lead to the first popular small sailboat, enormously increased the visibility of sailing for fun, created the first high-performance racers, the sliding plank, advanced rigs, lightweight hulls, etc.

9-10 Maybe leave the rest to be fought out by the Folkboat, Int 14, etc.

A boat that immediately comes to my mind is Bill Lapworth's Cal-40. I've got a lot of miles under my keel on a number of them. The Cal-40 was so successful that it spawned a rating rule to keep them off the podium.
    Schooner captains love to get blown offshore!