Thread: Navionics plotter / GPS app on Android tablet?

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Default Navionics plotter / GPS app on Android tablet?

I was wondering if anyone is using the (paid subscription) Navionics plotter / gps app on an android tablet? I was able to get my tablet to communicate with a Garmin glo GPS antenna / receiver by downloading an app. I'd be interested in your comments on the reliability and function-ability of such a set-up. If I go with it I would clean up the tablet of most other apps. Any advice / comments appreciated.
    Steve
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Default Re: Navionics plotter / GPS app on Android tablet?

Doesn’t the tablet have its own gps? I use the Navionics app on my iPhone and it works great even in spite of the small screen. I’ve used it when my main plotter stuck a couple of times, and often use it for double checking position or planning trips from the living room.

I don't know about the seperate gps , Steve,but I had navionics on my tablet for a year , until the subscription ran out. When we headed offshore I bought isailor because of references by someone singing its praises and deep down, I wanted a different type of software from my ships plotter.
    The tablet is a good tool and I was pleased I had it. Difficult to read in the sun and what they don't tell you.... even plugged in the battery won't keep up with the program power usage.Same issue with the ipad.
    Its ok though, they only crap out as you arrive at the pass. Managing the thing by always having it charged ahead of time and turning it off in the clear patches becomes important if tedious( x 2)
    In other words , a good secondary plotter.
    When you buy a subscription you can have it on 2 devices so you can throw it on your smartphone as well, which is what I did. This way you can mesmerise your partner by showing them far destinations at the restaurant, always popular.
    Last edited by John B; 11-05-2017 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Doesn’t the tablet have its own gps? I use the Navionics app on my iPhone and it works great even in spite of the small screen. I’ve used it when my main plotter stuck a couple of times, and often use it for double checking position or planning trips from the living room.
    My testing and research with an I pad showed that I needed the true GPS receiver unit anywhere without cell coverage/ I may be wrong but I think the I pad and I phone "gps" function uses cell towers. I assume that is the same for the android. Perhaps you have cell coverage there? I live and boat in an area without cell coverage.

I have the trial version of the Navionics app on my android tablet now - it seems a lot clunkier than it was on the I Pad, and tends to freeze. I was most interested in having it on the android instead of the I pad because I use the I pad for work also, and I could have left the android on the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I don't know about the seperate gps , Steve,but I had navionics on my tablet for a year , until the subscription ran out. When we headed offshore I bought isailor because of references by someone singing its praises and deep down, I wanted a different type of software from my ships plotter.
    The tablet is a good tool and I was pleased I had it. Difficult to read in the sun and what they don't tell you.... even plugged in the battery won't keep up with the program power usage.Same issue with the ipad.
    Its ok though, they only crap out as you arrive at the pass. Managing the thing by always having it charged ahead of time and turning it off in the clear patches becomes important if tedious( x 2)
    In other words , a good secondary plotter.
    When you buy a subscription you can have it on 2 devices so you can throw it on your smartphone as well, which is what I did.
    Thanks John. I will take note of the battery issues and also check out isailor. My trips tend to be 4-6 hour day sails, and my primary plotter is a paper chart and compass.

Well yes , we have paper too for the sea passages and the macro view, areas of danger, sea mounts etc.
    The Ipad needs to be a cellular model to have a proper gps.Thats what we bought. You don't need cell coverage. The android should have GPS in built, my samsung does.
    I don't recommend the isailor at all after using it, its not intuitive and quite difficult to use, with one saving grace in that its accurate in the area we were in. If the navionics was clearly out where we were then we'd trust the isailor.
    Navionics was a lot easier to use. But for us .. we had / have navionics on the old raymarine plotter, isailor for pure position confirmation and a google earth plot on the ipad.

I've used a Samsung Droid pad the past couple of years and have had mixed results. I bought a tablet designed for sunlight viewing. This is critical -- most of them aren't much use outdoors on a bright day. But I couldn't find a good, genuinely waterproof case for my model. So I resorted to an all-purpose clear plastic dry pouch, which keeps the water out but makes the screen harder to read and very hard to work with wet fingers.

The Navionics app is good for telling you where you are and for keeping a track of where you've been. It's also a good planning tool. But it's not nearly as slick as a dedicated GPS for setting up routes and waypoints and using them as a basis to get where you want to get to.

In the past I've had both a GPS and the Navionics on board, and fell to using good old paper charts to plan my routes, the Navionics screen for the big picture view as the day progressed, and the GPS for immediate direction/speed/ETA information out in the cockpit. So I'd say there is no ideal option, but you can get by with any of the three. But paper, watch and compass are, as they always have been, the most reliable.
    -Dave

I recently used Navionics on an android phone for a 1600 NM delivery trip. I used it for route planning, en-route tracking, route re-planning under way, etc etc and found it to be a terrific tool for the job. I didn't have the issue (above) regarding power. Ship's 12V power was more than ample to keep the android phone charged up full when in use. Sunlight and wet fingers on a screen cover are issues, but I resorted to keeping the phone below decks, out of splash range, but in visual range. No, you don't need a separate GPS device with an android phone or tablet. As sure as night follows day, someone will be along soon to say otherwise, but no, you don't.

In reality the biggest issue I had to deal with was dropping the phone and breaking it. I bought a cheap replacement, and I would have a backup for similar future trips. I am going to buy a small tablet, say 7 or 8 inches, and a good case, and that will do 90% of what I want out of such a device. I agree with (above) that you really should have paper and compass etc, and be good at using them. I also had a mapless GPS hand held that I loaded waypoints into, and found that to be a good tool too, surprisingly good given the no map background situation with it.

You might alo want to watch what hapens with Navionics over the next months or so. Garmin have bought the company. Anything could happen to them now.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

The ipad was a bit meh in the sun, I ended up taking the protective case window out just for a bit more clarity.
    And fingerprints on a touchscreen, not very good.
    This was great...
    Screenshot_2013-01-05-09-28-30.jpg
    That wee blue triangle be us.

I've been thinking of one of these, an ex US military Xplore tablet .https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/xplore-i...cAAOSwjvJZSCc4
    A delivery skipper friend of mine based in Europe recommended it as totally waterproof and good in the sun.

An ideas or comments ?

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

An experiment uploading from the boats iPad. It’s function was iridium go weather and Ovitalmap google earth plotting.
    2D1CA6E3-5083-4C04-9C8E-BDDD2839984C.jpg

That worked. Miracle. Anyway.. apart from one area right on the meridian google earth was smack on. That pass was about 25 to 30 metres wide and there were the bommies to avoid on the way in too. Great tool.

Bommies?
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Big domes of coral.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead