Thread: Stone Horse for sale (not mine)

Default Stone Horse for sale (not mine)

I have no claim on this, but I do admire the design and there aren't that many for sale at any given time.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/62340

It looks pretty good on paper. For sale in Maryland.

Default Re: Stone Horse for sale (not mine)

Very nice !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I definitely liked mine for what it was. If I ever found myself wanting a cabin sailboat again, that's definitely one of the ones I would be looking out for.

I was admiring a fellow with a Stone Horse tacking out of Quissett on a bare zepher. He mentioned that he'd used a couple of quarts of diesel the year before but thought that he was on track for using less . . . Very handy boat.

If that was near here, I might even be tempted.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

There's one in my harbor and that boat gets sailed a lot.

My dream come true boat. made special trip to visit Edey & Duff to see them; saw one on a mooring in Newport harbor and bought one found affordable in 1993. Had to sell but they are great little boats and very good looking!!!

I don't normally like a raised deck - they feel a bit exposed. But on that boat it looks right. The rig looks big enough and versatile enough. I do like them.

This is the boat of a lifetime for someone.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Though I am a Trailer Sailer infatuated with Edey & Duff's Dovekie and Shearwater, I have one of their Stone Horse brochures (more like a book) which is fun to reread once in awhile.

Named for Stone Horse Shoal off the elbow of Cape Cod: http://www.threeharbors.com/graphics...stonehorse.jpg
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

My best friend has one in his yard. I hope to be able to spend some time helping him with it soon.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Yes, the boat was named after the shoal but, how did the shoal get that strange name? I tried to find out before but didnt get anything except that it may have been derived from American Indians. Why? we may never know...

Quote Originally Posted by gregleetaylor View Post
    Yes, the boat was named after the shoal but, how did the shoal get that strange name? I tried to find out before but didnt get anything except that it may have been derived from American Indians. Why? we may never know...
    Nantucket Sound and surrounding waters have many wondrous names other than Stone Horse for the various shoals: Rose and Crown, Handerchief, Monomoy, L'Hommedieu, Succonnesset, Bishop and Clerks, Hedge Fence, Horseshoe, Squash Meadow, Tuckernuck, Wasque, Old Man, Half Moon, Little Round, Point Rip. It was easier to remember where they were by name, shape and extent than by the navigational buoys that accompanied them. Even at low tide you could sail across some of them in four feet of water, out of sight of land, and watch the shadow of your boat crossing the sandy bottom, scattering fish, crabs and occasional lobsters.
    Last edited by rbgarr; 11-05-2017 at 10:25 PM.
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

Thinking back about ten years now, was the summer in which we had paid dearly in order to have the boat moored very close to home, the initiative was to make that expense worthwhile by using the boat as much as possible. Go sailing at least once per weekend rain or shine.

One otherwise-gorgeous saturday had a honking breeze, everyone was at the dock running the blenders, we went out for a sail around Faulkner. Double reefed, 95% jib, the boat was throwing spray and just dancing through 3-5' chop.

The only other boat we saw out there was a Stone Horse, singlehanded. I've wanted one ever since.
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

I've seen that boat while out walking on a Baltimore layover. It looks as good in person as the pics indicate.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!