Thread: STAKES ( Pilings).... Do ....

Default STAKES ( Pilings).... Do ....

..any here have any experience securing your boat between them ?

Thanks

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Default Re: STAKES ( Pilings).... Do ....

Yes. But there are many layouts, many conditions of tide and current and weather. So what are you asking.

The above image is typical of the current stake mooring . It's not my boat .

Hello Ian

Stakes image.jpg The image shows a typical set up ( not my boat)

The site is a tidal estuary, with a range typical 5' to 7'. Running roughly E& W. Marinas dominate the north side and a tidal marsh to the south side. This river is heavily used by all craft especially on the week ends. The stakes are about 50' apart. The current can be over a knot at times and the prevailing wind is Southerly with SW dominating.

My boat a 18' sprit rig with jib and main sail. and no auxiliary engine. Getting to it involves a dinghy and sailing off & on the setup. My scheme thus far is to have a break in the line between the stakes enabling me to shift the line to either side of the mast. This will give me the opportunity to sail into the marsh or the main channel when leaving the stake mooring as circumstances dictate. I'm thinking to have the line between the stakes just out of the water at MHW and still grabable at Low tide. Question is where to put the dinghy in the setup ? I'd like to avoid coming along side of it but fenders will do. Any suggestions to the above scheme would be appreciated.

Thanks

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Take a look at Tideslides. I'm thinking of using them at my dock in lieu of a boat lift.

http://www.tideslide.com/
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

You'll want nice large cleats bow and stern. Have the line divided midway between pilings, one side a nice eye splice and the other a monkey's fist. When moored, these lines need not be attached to each other. At any rate, the division allows you to change sides depending on conditions at departure.

Departure sequence depends on wind but in general you'll first connect the lines on whatever side is away from your first tack. Use a slippery becket bend (like a sheet bend but using the spliced eye. Fast to tie and easy to undo when you return. Have the fist side either marked or know how much slack to take up so that the lines stay out of the water even at high tide but can be reached at low. Likely you'll cast off the stern first, then the bow. You might hold the line along side to force the bow to pay off.

Return is a matter of approach and luff up to reach the line. Probably give the slippery becket bend a yank to make plenty of slack. This is the moment the monkey's fist is for. If the eye was sized correctly, the fist will act as a button so you won't lose the far end of your line while you get the bow secured. Then stern. Then diconnect the ends, or not depending on your habit.

Put a contrasting colored whipping on each line to mark where that line takes its first turn around its mooring cleat so there's not too much slack at high tide and the boat's not in the air at low.

Yes, done this before.

G'luck

Jack,
    My boat is moored as you describe, and in the same river, too! I have a messenger between the pilings, with one end through a block lashed high on the piling and to a weight. (Two cast iron sash weights) This keeps it out of the water at all times. Each mooring line, bow and stern, is attached to the messenger with a bit of light line about four feet from its end.
    The same would wrk for you with the addition of a break in the messenger line. Could be a shackle, hooks, or a knot, that you would undo, pass to the other side of the boat, and reconnect on days when you want to sail off into the marsh. I leave my dinghy tied off the the stern line while I'm out.
    The tensioned messenger keeps the boat nicely aligned with the piles in light and moderate breezes
    You'll probably be doing this under sail, so I wont bore you with my description of how I do it by outboard.IMG_1791.jpg

Ian & Phil, thanks for your replies

Still in the thinking stage for next season mooring possibilities.

Phil I have seen your set up and boat in person and also have taken some images. I'm glad it works for you and thanks for posting image of your boat, a very personalized looking craft reflecting results of experience on the water as to what you want.. Is she home built ?

Ian, the button with a monkey fist sounds good but I'm thinking an eye splice on one end to receive a few half hitches from the other line would allow fine tuning the arrangement as to the tension, height etc on the "messenger line" becomes apparent with time. (terminology regarding this situation or post is lacking on my part Perhaps Ian could properly identify with correct nautical terms..)

I'm thinking of "Hangers" suspended from the messenger some feet in length and ending with a ring or thimble. There would be two of them some further feet from bow and stern on the messenger to secure these ends of the intended boat. I like snap hooks for quick singled one handed application to pick up these lines when approaching the stakes and lines under sail. Initially only the bow would be attached until the sails came down . This allows the boat to feather into the wind, Once secured, the stern could be attached by a bridle on the stern of the boat that also has a snap hook. both of ample size. Where the dinghy fits into this arrangement is still in question , probably a bit aft but reachable.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Why not split the lines in the middle, with a heavy-duty snap attached to each end? Further up each line are loops tied in at the appropriate distance for the bow and stern lines. When tied up, the excess line with the snap on it is secured on deck. When away, the snaps are secured together between the poles.

To leave the set up. Connect the bitter ends with the snaps; uncleat the loop that puts the bow where you want it that day. Then uncleat the other end.

To return. Sail under/ to the connected line. Hand over hand to the snaps. Cleat off one at bow, but taking both lines with you; then, walk stern line aft and cleat it off.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

There are many ways to do things. I found that for me, being able to easily loosen the line without loosing the opposite end was best accomplished with that slippery bend. In another piling situation where we always came and left from the same side, I elevated the line with a sheepshank, which I can make and unmake quickly. Whatever works for you.

I used a KISS approach.

On a 28' boat I used a 30' length of line (with a float at each end and one mid-length) as a keeper while we were off the mooring. The mooring lines had spliced-eyes, to which I would merely anchor-bend that keeper line.
    The keeper-line had a loop tied mid-length near the middle float. Upon approach it was a simple matter to boathook that line, and drop that loop over the breast cleat, which basically held the boat in place as I attended to the bow and stern mooring lines at a leisurely pace.

If could predict the time of our return, I would leave the dink tied to the down-current end of the keeper line so that it would be mostly out of the way as I made an up-current approach. On the very few occasions (this is Branford, after all) when there was more wind than tide, the dink really didn't mind getting bonked out of the way.
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.