Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1952 Huckins 40'

Default Re: 1952 Huckins 40'

Yes, ten years is great service! I'm in the brutal tropics, so my failure times have been shorter...if glassing panels, I've had success with 4 oz. Maybe where you are, epoxy soak and awl grip primer n topcoat will get it done. Underlying problem is DF ply, moves a lot. Every square centimeter you can protect from sun will make a difference, canvas is worth the trouble and cost! Cool boat, much appreciated, carry on...

BBG thanks for the feedback. I think in the cockpit I'll try my idea of the epoxy soak - its protected by a hard top, and on the cabin sides I'll go with the 4 oz cloth. Honestly if I'm doing it right and wooding the house sides anyway, it shouldn't be a horrendous amount of extra time.

I found a picture that made me smile on this cold winter day. It's the chart plotter reading 20.5 knots when I was running the boat back from Rhode Island the day I purchased her. Taking really ez in a 65 year old boat I didn't know taking a four foot chop on rhe nose. What a hoot! As you can see the depth finder is a little pessimistic registering 15' in about 60-70' it's on my to do list.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by LISC View Post
    My "winter shed". Anybody know how to rotate the images so they don't attach sideways? Thanks!
    Are you uploading from a smart phone? I know Apple iPhones are historic for flipping photos on message boards. I always send my iPhone photos to my PC via email, download to my photos and upload from there. Beautiful boat, love the lines.

Huckins.jpg..........Huckins 2.jpg

Great boat. Kind I like.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

A few years ago I was riding the current westward between the islands along Maine's Muscle Ridge Channel on a sunny, calm day. Coming the other way was a Huckins 40' Ortega. It was skimming along throwing a flat wake looking the picture of efficiency. The couple on the flybridge, sitting close together, wind in their hair waved and smiled as though they were having the time of their lives. Heading Downeast on such a day, I'd say they were right.
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

Thanks guys. I’ve had fancier boats but none I liked as much as this one. I always turn and look back when I leave the dock. That’s the test right?
    Simon

I love Huckins -- and it's always great to see one in good hands and looking Bristol.

Reasonable beam, clean design, light weight, exceptional performance -- they were way ahead of their time 70 years ago -- and they still are.

Thanks for sharing her with us.

Tom

Thanks guys. I’ve had fancier boats but none I liked as much as this one. I always turn and look back when I leave the dock. That’s the test right?

That test works well for me.

Amen!

Hi All,

its been a decent summer with ďDragonflyĒ I did a bunch of cosmetic triage last winter and this spring- tackling most of the worst peeling areas. Used a fair amount of epoxy, 6 oz glass cloth and gallons of Epifanes 2 part on the topsides.

We we took our maiden cruise from Greenwich CT to Edgartown MV and then on to Nantucket and back. In calm seas on the way home we cruised at 24-24.5 Knots burning just about 26 GPH. Not bad for a 66 year old boat!

My next cosmetic task is the transom which is in poor cosmetic shape. I plan to take it to bare wood and start anew. In the upper right hand corner there is a small dark stain caused Iím guessing by moisture under the finish.

I have a couple of questions on how to proceed. I purchased some relatively pure etheleyne glycol which I have used extensively in the bilge to combat the possibility of dry rot. Any opinions on if I could use this on the dark area on the transom without worsening the darkness before I proceed with the refinishing. Any opinions on whether to use CPES and if so, before or after the coat of oil-based Epifanes mahogany stain?

Any other advice welcome as well.

may thanks
    Simon

I’ll let other people more familiar with the use of antifreeze for this chime in. All I can say is if it were mine, I would figure out where the water is coming from, take care of that then just stain & varnish.

Beautiful boat. A delivery skipper once told me Huckins boats performed like fighter planes and other boats were slugs. They were built about 125 miles north of me and used to be seen all the time. Not so much anymore but one is on the hard about a mile away waiting for someone to save it.

I've never used antifreeze in a boat so can't comment on it...but I've used zinc naphthenate where varnish or paint is used. It's dries clear, doesn't leave a watermark or show bleed. For bilges and unpainted areas I use copper napthenate...which does bleed though paint.

That looks like a generous swath of bondo on the transom top corner. If that's the case I would cut the top off side to side and replace it all the way across.

Thanks all,

the water is is coming from forward of the covering board so of course I will address that. No bondo whatsoever just water stained mahogany. It’s not anti freeze per se it’s pure ethelyne glycol without the additives. Thanks for the tip on zinc napthenate I’ll read up on that. Cheers.
    Simon

The trip to Nantucket and back sounds great.

I didn't realize that your Huckins was LITTLE JOE. Some years ago, LITTLE JOE ran up on a ledge here in Boothbay Harbor, folding up the props, driving the skegs up through the hull and levering the transom hung rudders forward into it. The local Sea Tow guys got pumps aboard and towed her to the yard where my boat is now (I'm figuring out an overheating issue) and did the repairs. Shortly afterwards, I believe she went on the market. I'm glad to hear all is solid with her hull and running gear now.
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

Hi RB

Thanks for the well - wishes. Actually it was the port rudder and skeg that weíre involved as well as the stem.
    Crockerís did a major - multi hundred thousand dollar refit after the event including new engines, new transmissions, props shafts and rudders , new bottom on the port side , new stem, new wiring from stem to stern, new electronics and instruments, new fuel tanks, water tank and black water system, new flybridge, new hydraulic steering , new air conditioning new Westerbeke 7.5 KW generator, new flybridge. Iím sure Iím missing something!

unfortunately they seemed to skip re-doing the Varnish!
    Simon

that pic of the transom makes it look great. so you already changed the name, but didn't strip it?

jim

Epifanes oils based mahogany paint to hide the old name followed by a cheap and cheerful decal. I ran out of time and needed to launch / use the boat for the season. Couple hundred bucks and an hour of my time. That’s the deal I have with myself- I bought this boat to use it.
    Simon

Simon,

That's great that you got the whole scoop on the repairs from and by Crocker's. Not always the case when some boats suffer damage!

Winter projects underway:

soda blast the bottom to get to get all the paint off and address any areas of concern with the fiberglass skin. Itís a precaution based on the fact that I think itís been on there for 20 or 30 years. Looks pretty good now that itís stripped, just a few voids to be addressed.

Im reworking the exhaust system which has a very long 11í length. Itís sized for the original 180 HP Chryslerís and itís 4Ē. Five inches is the minimum requirement for the current 320 hp Crusaders. Actually 11í will be the length of the finished system currently the exhaust risers are mounted about face, exiting forward which adds another 6í and additional restriction to the system. In truth Iíd like to go to 6Ē but I donít have the room. So I am pointing the exhaust in the right direction and enlarging it. Iíll post some progress photos as I go. cheers.
    Simon

Catching up here. Nice old girl ya got.

I wonder why they installed those risers backward. There appears to be plenty of room to install them the right way.

Great job yer doing. I'll be tagging along on your spruce up.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Thanks Ben,

When I asked why they installed the exhaust backward I was told it was easier?? Anyway, Itís been quite the project - escalating as they always do. In order to fit the larger port side exhaust tube I had to enlarge the holes in 5 bulkheads, disassemble the master cabin settee, hanging locker and remove the air conditioning for access. Hereís a progress photo of the new manifolds. Theyíre aluminum equal length tuned headers with stainless risers by Hardin Marine. In addition to improving flow, Iím saving about 300 lbs. compared to the cast iron exhaust.
    Simon

Those are really nice looking. I hope you get a bump in power by going up to the correct size exhaust and routing everything properly.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

They look really nice! You are doing a great job on a boat that is certainly worthy of it.