Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LISC
    • Dec 2016

Re: 1952 Huckins 40'

BBG thanks for the feedback. I think in the cockpit I'll try my idea of the epoxy soak - its protected by a hard top, and on the cabin sides I'll go with the 4 oz cloth. Honestly if I'm doing it right and wooding the house sides anyway, it shouldn't be a horrendous amount of extra time.
    Simon

Comment

• LISC
      • Dec 2016

I found a picture that made me smile on this cold winter day. It's the chart plotter reading 20.5 knots when I was running the boat back from Rhode Island the day I purchased her. Taking really ez in a 65 year old boat I didn't know taking a four foot chop on rhe nose. What a hoot! As you can see the depth finder is a little pessimistic registering 15' in about 60-70' it's on my to do list.
      Attached Files
      Simon

Comment

• 80OldCS
        • Nov 2017

Originally posted by LISC
        My "winter shed". Anybody know how to rotate the images so they don't attach sideways? Thanks!
        Are you uploading from a smart phone? I know Apple iPhones are historic for flipping photos on message boards. I always send my iPhone photos to my PC via email, download to my photos and upload from there. Beautiful boat, love the lines.

Huckins.jpg..........Huckins 2.jpg

Comment

• Lew Barrett
          Landlocked
          • Dec 2005

Great boat. Kind I like.
          One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Comment

• rbgarr
            43.50.918 N, 69.38.583 W
            • Apr 1999

A few years ago I was riding the current westward between the islands along Maine's Muscle Ridge Channel on a sunny, calm day. Coming the other way was a Huckins 40' Ortega. It was skimming along throwing a flat wake looking the picture of efficiency. The couple on the flybridge, sitting close together, wind in their hair waved and smiled as though they were having the time of their lives. Heading Downeast on such a day, I'd say they were right.
            For the most part experience is making the same mistakes over and over again, only with greater confidence.

Comment

• LISC
              • Dec 2016

Thanks guys. I’ve had fancier boats but none I liked as much as this one. I always turn and look back when I leave the dock. That’s the test right?
              Simon

Comment

• moTthediesel
                • Mar 2006

I love Huckins -- and it's always great to see one in good hands and looking Bristol.

Reasonable beam, clean design, light weight, exceptional performance -- they were way ahead of their time 70 years ago -- and they still are.

Thanks for sharing her with us.

Tom

Comment

• nedL
                  Senior Member #1976
                  • Jul 2000

Thanks guys. I’ve had fancier boats but none I liked as much as this one. I always turn and look back when I leave the dock. That’s the test right?

That test works well for me.

Comment

• Skegemog
                    • Jan 2009

Amen!

Comment

• LISC
                      • Dec 2016

Hi All,

its been a decent summer with “Dragonfly” I did a bunch of cosmetic triage last winter and this spring- tackling most of the worst peeling areas. Used a fair amount of epoxy, 6 oz glass cloth and gallons of Epifanes 2 part on the topsides.

We we took our maiden cruise from Greenwich CT to Edgartown MV and then on to Nantucket and back. In calm seas on the way home we cruised at 24-24.5 Knots burning just about 26 GPH. Not bad for a 66 year old boat!

My next cosmetic task is the transom which is in poor cosmetic shape. I plan to take it to bare wood and start anew. In the upper right hand corner there is a small dark stain caused I’m guessing by moisture under the finish.

I have a couple of questions on how to proceed. I purchased some relatively pure etheleyne glycol which I have used extensively in the bilge to combat the possibility of dry rot. Any opinions on if I could use this on the dark area on the transom without worsening the darkness before I proceed with the refinishing. Any opinions on whether to use CPES and if so, before or after the coat of oil-based Epifanes mahogany stain?

Any other advice welcome as well.

may thanks
                      Attached Files
                      Simon

Comment

• nedL
                        Senior Member #1976
                        • Jul 2000

I’ll let other people more familiar with the use of antifreeze for this chime in. All I can say is if it were mine, I would figure out where the water is coming from, take care of that then just stain & varnish.

Comment

• BillP
                          • Mar 2001

Beautiful boat. A delivery skipper once told me Huckins boats performed like fighter planes and other boats were slugs. They were built about 125 miles north of me and used to be seen all the time. Not so much anymore but one is on the hard about a mile away waiting for someone to save it.

I've never used antifreeze in a boat so can't comment on it...but I've used zinc naphthenate where varnish or paint is used. It's dries clear, doesn't leave a watermark or show bleed. For bilges and unpainted areas I use copper napthenate...which does bleed though paint.

Comment

• navydog
                            • Sep 2007

That looks like a generous swath of bondo on the transom top corner. If that's the case I would cut the top off side to side and replace it all the way across.

Comment

• LISC
                              • Dec 2016

Thanks all,

the water is is coming from forward of the covering board so of course I will address that. No bondo whatsoever just water stained mahogany. It’s not anti freeze per se it’s pure ethelyne glycol without the additives. Thanks for the tip on zinc napthenate I’ll read up on that. Cheers.
                              Simon

Comment

• rbgarr
                                43.50.918 N, 69.38.583 W
                                • Apr 1999

The trip to Nantucket and back sounds great.

I didn't realize that your Huckins was LITTLE JOE. Some years ago, LITTLE JOE ran up on a ledge here in Boothbay Harbor, folding up the props, driving the skegs up through the hull and levering the transom hung rudders forward into it. The local Sea Tow guys got pumps aboard and towed her to the yard where my boat is now (I'm figuring out an overheating issue) and did the repairs. Shortly afterwards, I believe she went on the market. I'm glad to hear all is solid with her hull and running gear now.
                                For the most part experience is making the same mistakes over and over again, only with greater confidence.

Comment

Working...