X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LISC
    • Dec 2016

1952 Huckins 40'

Hi All,

im The proud new owner of a 1952 Huckins Seafarer 40. She was substantially rebuilt by Crocker's boat yard in 2008 . The previous owner made a couple of modifications - actually quite a few most of which I like and one in particular I hate which is a mast . So the Mast is gone. Since the refit the boat seems to have been left pretty much dormant so the past couple years have not been kind to her cosmetics - but the bones are fantastic . I've been looking at Huckins for more than 20 years and I finally have my dream boat so I'm very excited . I'll post pictures from time to time of my progress but I'm very intimidated by the level of talent on the site .

So first up with and without the mast
    Attached Files
    Simon
  • Pitsligo
    • Aug 2009

Re: 1952 Huckins 40'

Congratulations! (Or maybe condolances? ) I know absolutely *zilch* about the type, but hearing that you've found your dream boat is relly great.

Ordinarily I like masts, for mounting electronics and for a boom to bring a tender aboard, but yes, you're right, she's much better without the mast. Good call.

And welcome to the Forum.

Alex

Comment

• cstevens
      Dreaming of a boat
      • Nov 2014

Congratulations LISC! That is a seriously beautiful Huckins. I had a 1946 Offshore 48 for many years. It was a restoration project that ended badly (gory details elsewhere here if you care to hear about it - just search for "Perihelion") but I still love the boats. What does she have for power?

Also, I completely agree with removal of the mast. And I sure hope that cabin top was reinforced for it otherwise you might get problems there. That's a very light structure, not intended to support much weight.
      - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

Comment

• LISC
        • Dec 2016

Thanks Alex, Chris.

Chris Ive lurked on this site for a while and read your sad story- condolences. She's powered by 2 new small block Crusaders 330 HP and cruises at a solid 21 to 23 knots at one nautical mile to the gallon.
        Simon

Comment

• Bob Adams
          • Sep 2000

Congratulations....yes, the mast belongs on a trawler, not a Fairform Flyer. In case you don't have the factory manual, here's the main take away (if memory serves) from the man himself:
          1. Keep her light.
          2. Leave all unnecessary gear ashore.
          3. See rule 1.
          You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
          Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

• cstevens
            Dreaming of a boat
            • Nov 2014

Originally posted by LISC
            Thanks Alex, Chris.

Chris Ive lurked on this site for a while and read your sad story- condolences. She's powered by 2 new small block Crusaders 330 HP and cruises at a solid 21 to 23 knots at one nautical mile to the gallon.
            I think that's about the perfect setup for that boat and I suspect FPH would have approved. If you get a chance, post video of her running at speed. I'd love to see it!

Cheers,
            - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

Comment

• nedL
              Senior Member #1976
              • Jul 2000

Beautiful! Definately agree,...that mast on a Huckins really makes one say Huhhhhh??????.. what were they thinking??
              looking forward to your updates. She is an iconic boat.

Comment

• MADOC1
                • Jun 2017

beautiful! we need more pics. what are your plans for it, or are you done ?

jim

Comment

• Skegemog
                  • Jan 2009

I love Huckins! Can't wait to see more!

Comment

• LISC
                    • Dec 2016

Thanks for all the kind words. She is in pretty fine shape and needs cosmetic bits and pieces to bring her to her full glory. I'm going to start with painting much of the interior over the winter, followed by the top sides in the spring. I'm going to replace or refurbish a lot of the hardware like hinges and knobs etc. staying to strictly period correct parts. The engines are basically brand new but I'm unhappy with the exhaust system routing. The risers are rotated so they exit forward and then through a series of bends the exhaust exits rearward. With a slight up angle when the boat is on plane I'm concerned that there's not enough drop and the engines could ingest water. Also I'm suspicious it's a little corked up. So that's all getting changed as a matter of urgency. Having got rid of the Grand Banks - like mast arrangement I need to fabricate a mount for radar and gps, probably to the leading edge of the Fly bridge. I took a first pass at the bilges with simple green and a pressure washer and I'll probably splash some paint around down there. I'm replacing the rotted aft cabin mahogany door. This is no heroic project like many on this forum but I'll post pictures as I go. Heres a picture underway a couple of years ago
                    Attached Files
                    Simon

Comment

• Skegemog
                      • Jan 2009

glad she is in caring hands, will be interested to see how you handle refreshing the interior, I think Huckins epitomize a certain austere, functional beauty often lost when the interiors are plushed out and overdone. Saw a great example of an original looking Huckins in Dering Harbor on Shelter Island last summer, looked like it might have been a patrol boat for an elegant navy.

Comment

• JamesCaird
                        • Nov 2004

Congrats, LISC. Tres cool boats. I have a buddy with a 40 Sportfisherman, practically original (with a new bottom and stem and diesels) from 1947. We are in Pocasset River(AKA Barlow'sRiver) just south of west end of Cape Cod Canal. Can always find room for a Huckins. where are you keeping it. Looks great. Indeed, keep it LIGHT. Cheers and best wishes/ JC

Comment

• rbgarr
                          43.50.918 N, 69.38.583 W
                          • Apr 1999

My grandfather had one of these Huckins in the forties and fifties. I barely remember it, but ten years before I was born he was aboard the boat (1942) when a year to the day after his wife passed away, my dad had to tell him that his oldest son (my dad's only sibling) had gone missing in the Mediterranean flying a Hurricane from Malta to Italy. He was never found and my dad says it was the saddest thing he ever had to tell his father and the worst day in his family's life.

146.jpg
                          For the most part experience is making the same mistakes over and over again, only with greater confidence.

Comment

• wizbang 13
                            • Oct 2009

Wonder how much she likes that flying bridge?

Comment

• wizbang 13
                              • Oct 2009

Okay.cool
                              I just think a machine gun would be cooler.
                              bruce

Comment

Working...