Thread: Long gas line for outboard

Default Long gas line for outboard

I was looking at a Duckworks design of a 17' open boat with a 9.9 Merc on the back. The gas tank was in a locker way up in the bow. I'd like to do that also on my 14' Cackler, but wonder if the engine can suck gas from that distance without any ill effects. Also, where would you get a gas line like that? Splice in a long piece on a normal gas line?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Long gas line for outboard

I use long gas lines on my little speedboats. When it gets choppy I put a tank way forward. No problem .

Try it. See if it can. And you don't have to go to all the trouble of installing motor and tank on the boat. The engine won't know if it's on a stand in the yard.

If it doesn't work well, then you might need a larger diameter hose to overcome the head loss.

Jeff

Don't think you will though..I had a forward mounted tank on a six metre boat with 40 hp outboard and the fuel line had to negotiate various internal structures including a midship mounted 50 litre tank with a tee into the line. at least, at a guess 8metres of 4mm internal dia rated flexible automotive fuel line. the prow mounted tank was a more easily accessible 25 litre factory plastic tank, originally intended use as auxiliary, but convenience meant the midship fixed tank became the auxiliary....whatever, even full crack, planeing at 40kts 5000rpm in mild seas and sheltered waters I never ever had a fuel supply issue.
    I wouldn't worry but trial and error will show.
    Carry a spare tank that, using a tee or direct connection with the proper quick release , you can fit right close to the OB. honestly don't think it will be necessary tho'
    When you come to a fork in the road , take it.

Smarter than the average bear, Booboo

On my first Harkers Island well skiff, I ran copper tubing, either 5/16 or 3/8, don't remember, from the tank in the bow to the worn out 35 Evinrude in the well. Made a whip, maybe 3 ft or so, of automotive fuel hose on each end, with fittings. Worked fine, and helped keep the feather-light bow down. The copper ran along under the left gunnel, held in plastic tubing clamps. Good idea to put an inline fuel filter in there near the primer bulb.

On my two power boats, with full saddle tanks the fuel level in the tanks is higher than the carburetors in the O/Bs. At my full-speed fuel usage of 3GPH, with 1/4-inch ID fuel hose my O/Bs fuel pumps are probably drinking out of a garden hose.

"carburetor" - there is a word that is nearly extinct.

All the engines I am familiar with have fuel pumps that are more than capable of sucking large amounts of gas over long distances. Fuel starvation could cause lean running, which might kill it while in warranty. The makers sure don't want that.

As the guys stated above, Rich: it works fine.

You can buy fuel line by the foot and add your own connections and primer bulb.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

These are the responses I was hoping to hear! I'll be rebuilding my forward locker to accommodate the gas tank. The battery for the trolling motor is already up there. I need everything I can to counterbalance me and the outboard and keep the bow down. Trim tabs will be going on also.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

The primer bulb is way better at pumping gas than air and so works best placed at the tank end of the long line. .