Thread: Building a wooden Jon boat

Default Building a wooden Jon boat

I'm building a wooden Jon boat and I'll be fiberglassing it but I'd like to seal the wood with Thompson's waterseal it's just sealer not the stain and sealer. Am I able to fiberglass over the sealer?

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk

Default Re: Building a wooden Jon boat

Why would you if you are glassing it? It's oily so I would be fairly confident it will interfere with the epoxy bonding to the plywood.

Quote Originally Posted by Stein View Post
    Why would you if you are glassing it? It's oily so I would be fairly confident it will interfere with the epoxy bonding to the plywood.
    Kinda what I was thinking but was wondering g if I could get away with just fiberglassing the hull and sealing the rest

Default Re: Building a wooden Jon boat

On my plywood 20' jon I only glassed the bottom, rolled a coat of epoxy inside and out then Rustoleum marine paint inside and out. So far so good but I only finished it this summer and used it a couple of times since. I have a thread here on it but all of my photo links died in the great Photobucket fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by Stein View Post
    On my plywood 20' jon I only glassed the bottom, rolled a coat of epoxy inside and out then Rustoleum marine paint inside and out. So far so good but I only finished it this summer and used it a couple of times since. I have a thread here on it but all of my photo links died in the great Photobucket fiasco.
    I'll probably do that then thanks for your help