Thread: Seattle CL: 1929 Stephens

Default Seattle CL: 1929 Stephens

No association with the sale, etc.

I love the boat, I want the boat, but I suspect she is beyond my present combination of skill level and time available. I hope someone here might be --or know someone-- who could do right by her:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...366984109.html

Her name is Feather, and when I emailed the owner about her a few weeks ago I got this reply:

The foredeck needs a couple of planks replaced and to be canvassed. The aft cockpit needs to be restored (the cabin had been added to in a funky, then rotten fashion) much of the lumber for that project has been milled and is included. Some repairs need to be done to the coach aft. Overall clean-up and normal maintenance. I have sistered many of the ribs where they cracked at the turn of the bilge. There are probably a few more to do behind a fuel tank located in the aft cabin that I have not removed yet. She needs to be hauled, the bottom painted and a little caulking done. The wiring needs to be checked, and the primary wires (battery to starters and alternators to breakers) fixed in place. Summer before last I raised both engines, overhauled the starters, installed new engine mounts (and properly built up the logs as required), flushed out the tanks, installed new fuel filters and lines as required, rerouted the shut-down cables, but did not get to the big wiring before I had to start work on winterizing the boathouse.
    She is bronze fastened. I have found only very minor zinctification in the fastenings on the hull (I had to replace a plank under the rub rail a few years ago). The ribs are fastened to the keel with iron. Someday you would want to install new floors (opposite the existing ones) and re fasten them. The planks, keel, ribs, transom and stem are sound. The rub rails are ironbark and still in great shape. The house is in good shape.
    Her name is Feather, it was her original name, and I registered her under that name.
    I broke my back while working on the roof of the boathouse, and was unable to continue to live the nautical lifestyle, and the accident severely cramped my ability to work on the boat, plus I lost my job. Thus the must sell to a good home. She is a boat easy to fall in love with, but she has pretty much demanded to be restored in a proper fashion. I am not a purist, I have used epoxy to glue and laminate and repair and fair out scars, but worked to keep the boat basically as it was constructed (very well). I have had the boat about 20 years, so there is much more to tell.
    This is her near-sister --same builder, same year, one foot shorter, restored to "glass case" condition:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1929.../United-States

Alex

Default Re: Seattle CL: 1929 Stephens

Liveaboard? Could work.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

WOW!

Gorgeous! I am afraid to see the structure though...

If I had the time to put her right, yes, I'd be looking at her for a liveaboard. But yes, since I'm on a deadline to sell the house and move aboard, I'm afraid to see the structure, too. If I had three years to focus on her, I might give it a try. Six months? Um...

And yes, WOW! covers it for me, too.

I just hope someone takes her on.

Alex

Alex, the ad says the boathouse has an apartment? Could provide you with quarters during the project? Looks like it's down the Skipanon, south of Warrenton? I notice he doesn't say what the boathouse moorage runs, but I think the Astoria area tends to be pretty reasonable..

The logistics of uprooting from WA would be ticklish, and then there's the issue of shifting and setting up a shop to do the work. I have considered it, though. She's an awfully nice boat.

Alex

Not only mighty pretty, but I bet there's plenty of room for bookshelves!

Twin Isuzus? Incredible style? No importation needed? I like!

Signed,
    Mr. Enabler
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Add in the fact that the price leaves room in the budget to get some work done...
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Oh yes, she'd make a *very* nice floating library.

If I could somehow get her here to the shop where I could work efficiently, and if I had time to do the job properly before I have to sell this place (divorce) this summer, Feather would be the top of the list. And yeah, that price makes the budget look half way feasible. Working on her three hours away from my house/shop would make it tough.

Come to think of it, compared to the others on my "list", she may be the top of the list anyway!

Alex

I was just out on that sister ship Athena in Santa Monica bay a couple of weekends ago. Truly a beautiful boat!
    Now is a good time!

Steward of MAKOTO [WB Magazine #232], and Honored Member of the LPBC

Athena is a *stunner*. I've only seen her in photos, but I would love to see her in person someday. How'd you manage to get aboard? And did you get any photos?

Alex