Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Open water tandem sculling boat, row cruiser for three

Default Re: Open water tandem sculling boat, row cruiser for three

I don't see any problems rowing slide seat in rough water. I do it, and all the club rowers in SF do it. My preference is slide seat because I can row for longer that way, my leg muscles are stronger from cycling. If you have good upper body strength, maybe fixed seat would turn out to be fine.

The best places to see wooden rowboats (not just plastic shells) would be the South End and Dolphin Clubs near Aquatic Park. You could join one of the clubs for a while to try it out:

You would also be welcome at one of the TSCA rowing events. We usually have many types of wooden boats at one of the rows.

RG,

It appears that 6 out of the 7 boats in this photo use the same sliding seat. Is that so? Do you know which seat it is?

Gib,

Sorry, I've not asked about the seats. This is Dolphin Club, someone there should know. Also, Fisher-Smith's Kohlenberg is second from right, it was in the Woodenboat article on the viking rowboats.

Rick

Just in from a row that was meant to see if a sliding seat frame I had kicking around for the ducker could used to get dimensions for slide for TIPSy the dory. It worked; it worked well enough so that I was gone for 4 hours about 15 miles, just beat a dropping tide back into the cove. Dory didn't go faster, with only 14' or so on the waterline it couldn't, but shifting the load down to the legs was great. Not as long a slide as I have on the erg or on an outrigged boat with long oars. But worthwhile enough to take an extra set of rails and knock out a frame. Doesn't look like it will need any special supports other than be fitted to the 8.5" seat. I'll be a couple of inches higher which I knew would be ok as I could sit on a throw cushion and row.

Relevance to this thread? It may be that you can take most any fast fixed seat boat and adapt it to a short slide without outriggers, and no change in oars. No it won't be a fast outrigged slider, but you will cover water as fast as the boat wants to go, keep speed up into the wind where more power is handy, and punch into a rough wave set.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Photos of your 'intermediate' rig, Ben?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Just in from a row that was meant to see if a sliding seat frame I had kicking around for the ducker could used to get dimensions for slide for TIPSy the dory. It worked... well enough....
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    Photos of your 'intermediate' rig, Ben?
    Just got one up on the Oyster River when I turned around. I'll see if I can get it on the TSCA FB page. I don't use linked photo services so can't get it here.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.

For light weight and carrying ability, Newfound Woodworks has a car-topable 17' Rangeley that can carry 700+ pounds, weighs 105 pounds, and can be rowed with sliding seat and oars on gunwales (or small folding outriggers, guideboat style) or fixed. They have a double end version that may be faster. Building the hull with a mix of paulownia and cedar, and using 4 and 6oz S glass, will give you a strong and even lighter hull. You can build in seats/decks/flotation easily. The CLC wherries have low freeboard and would be scary in the SF Bay if it's blowing. Their NE Dory would work in waves but is a bit more plodding.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallman View Post
    For light weight and carrying ability, Newfound Woodworks has a car-topable 17' Rangeley that can carry 700+ pounds, weighs 105 pounds, and can be rowed with sliding seat and oars on gunwales (or small folding outriggers, guideboat style) or fixed. They have a double end version that may be faster. Building the hull with a mix of paulownia and cedar, and using 4 and 6oz S glass, will give you a strong and even lighter hull. You can build in seats/decks/flotation easily. The CLC wherries have low freeboard and would be scary in the SF Bay if it's blowing. Their NE Dory would work in waves but is a bit more plodding.
    Thanks. I have my doubts about that CLC A’ Tandem Wherry for my aspirations.

Whatever that can fit two sculling seats in addition to a passenger capability that can row to hull speed on the SF Bay, Marin, Sonoma, and Mendocino coasts in milder weather also should serve with as a stable fishing boat for me and my wife.

Eventually, the ability to add flotation decks and transom reinforcement for electrical outboard would reassure my wife that we can row or motor back to our truck, to car top home, would be reassuring.

Quote Originally Posted by rgthom View Post
    I don't see any problems rowing slide seat in rough water. I do it, and all the club rowers in SF do it. My preference is slide seat because I can row for longer that way, my leg muscles are stronger from cycling. If you have good upper body strength, maybe fixed seat would turn out to be fine.

The best places to see wooden rowboats (not just plastic shells) would be the South End and Dolphin Clubs near Aquatic Park. You could join one of the clubs for a while to try it out:

You would also be welcome at one of the TSCA rowing events. We usually have many types of wooden boats at one of the rows.

Yeah, we’ll check out that club. Thanks for the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Just in from a row that was meant to see if a sliding seat frame I had kicking around for the ducker could used to get dimensions for slide for TIPSy the dory. It worked; it worked well enough so that I was gone for 4 hours about 15 miles, just beat a dropping tide back into the cove. Dory didn't go faster, with only 14' or so on the waterline it couldn't, but shifting the load down to the legs was great. Not as long a slide as I have on the erg or on an outrigged boat with long oars. But worthwhile enough to take an extra set of rails and knock out a frame. Doesn't look like it will need any special supports other than be fitted to the 8.5" seat. I'll be a couple of inches higher which I knew would be ok as I could sit on a throw cushion and row.

Relevance to this thread? It may be that you can take most any fast fixed seat boat and adapt it to a short slide without outriggers, and no change in oars. No it won't be a fast outrigged slider, but you will cover water as fast as the boat wants to go, keep speed up into the wind where more power is handy, and punch into a rough wave set.
    Seem like i ought to build or buy a 17’ to 19’+ wherry yet under 110#s hull
    Last edited by Chris94703; 11-09-2017 at 03:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris94703 View Post
    Seem like i ought to build or buy a 17’ to 19’+ wherry yet under 110#s hull
    What is unusual about your interest is the desire to carry 3. To do that and stay fast the 17-19 range is right, with 17 being a little on the small side. You will need a type that allows you to shift rowing stations forward when carrying the third person. The designs that let you use drop in slides will work whether you build them like Angus's or buy like Piantedosi. You could also get away with shorter slides on seats like I did for my dory. So I'd be looking at the longer side like the long Savo or Chase's 19 footer. They can give you weight information. With a longer boat you may want to integrate thinking about wheels into your brief. Checkout the large Rangeley as well or a stripped up light St Lawrence skiff style. Bear in mind that these were OK for rough lakes but may not have the flare that could be useful in the Bay.
    Ben Fuller

I bet Paul Gartside would do a good job designing a boat for you with the spec that it meet your weight and build-simplicity criteria. He's rowed extensively up the Pac NW coast, the Yukon River to its mouth in the Arctic and designed other swift rowing craft:

http://www.gartsideboats.com/custom-...flashboat.html

https://store.gartsideboats.com/coll...al-rowboat-179
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

Quote Originally Posted by rgthom View Post
    I found some pictures of what I see as the two extremes ..........

The gig will fit on a truck rack:

OH!.... that mounting system. OH, I wonder if I could do that with my skerry? Hmmm.
    CLC Skerry = "Vingilothiel"