Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mazda, anybody own one?

Default Mazda, anybody own one?

Thinking next daily driver. The new CX-5 will supposedly be available with a 2.2 liter diesel here in the states. 310ft/lb of torque and @ 40mpg. They've been selling the engine to the rest of the world for some time now.
    Anybody here have any experience with Mazda? There reliability looks good. At @ $37k loaded it'd be a relatively inexpensive, efficient and not bad looking ride.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Default Re: Mazda, anybody own one?

I never owned one... but I leased a couple of them, back when Mazda had incredibly cheap leasing deals, in the late 90's... they were good cars. My daughter owned a Mazda 3 for a bunch of years, and it was reliable and dependable... until a huge tree fell squarely on it, and squashed it flat. She replaced it with an identical model
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

Love them! Myself and my extended family have owned many since the mid 70's.

IMHO, Very reliable and inexpensive to maintain.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Daughter owns one and seems to like it fine.
    May be some rough water ahead. We're getting new captain.

I've been eyeing a Volvo V90 as my next DD lately, but for $10k less I'm probably going to talk myself into the Mazda CX-9 instead.

For me, the mazdas have two drawbacks. The first is that they seem to have one steering wheel for the entire product line, with the miata as the design basis... it's friggin TINY, feels somewhat ridiculous.
    The second is that I have a strong dislike of black interiors, and while you can get non-black seats in the mazda everything else remains black.

But they do drive nicely and the reliability should be a non-issue for the 50k mile term of my lease.
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

I have just completed 145,515 miles in a Ford Mondeo which has the same engine (2.2 litre Duratorq diesel, 200 hp, 429 N-m torque, Euro 5 emissions) It has been quiet, smooth and faultless.
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 10-30-2017 at 10:58 AM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Have a Mazda in the family at the moment--an old Mazda 6 sedan. The marque tends towards the lower-middle in reliability studies. This was a used car, which took some substantial work to make it useable. One problem is the dealer network, parts, etc. Their small volume tends to create service problems, including parts availability. The newer models are excellent designs, and rank with the best for handling and driving. Their newer gas engines are the most efficient on the market. Dunno about the U.S. version of the diesel, but it should be quite good. Might anticipate the usual Mazda service problems, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    I have just completed 145,515 miles in a Ford Mondeo which has the same engine (2.2 litre Duratorq diesel, 200 hp, 429 N-m torque, Euro 5 emissions) It has been quiet, smooth and faultless.
    200 hp out of a 2.2 litre diesel engine is rather impressive, as 150 hp is the normal (peak) power rating of diesel engines with similar displacement.

Curious as to where the red-line sits on the tachometer.

Had a '93 MX6 for several years, really enjoyed it, very comfortable car. A couple of downs, the Mazda paint in those years was terrible and faded to and thru the primer in no time. And the door closing sound always sounded really tinny, not that that is a measure of anything, but it sure gives a bad impression. BTW, this was a model that was final assembled in Flint MI. But I might consider buying another Mazda.

Doesn't FORD own, of part of, Mazda?

I have owned a number of Mazdas (right hand drive Japanese spec) and had few issues with them.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

I've had 3 mazdas: a 1995 626, a 2008 Mazdaspeed 3, and a 1992 Miata. Still got the Miata. They've all been great cars.

We still have a 2005 Tribute, currently with 101,000 miles on it that is our daily driver. It has been excellent, with a minimum of problems over the years and nothing that wouldn't be considered normal wear and tear or maintenance. When it goes, we'll probably replace it with a Mazda 3.

Mrs JimD had a Protege for many years. Great trouble free car. Finally scrapped it for a Toyota Prius this year. I had a couple of the old B2200s which were equally good vehicles, until Ford took them over and then they were just Ford Rangers with a Mazda logo.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

I've owned two Mazdas, and lived with (girlfriend) another. As a result of my experience, I'm partial to the marque. The most recent was a MPV, which doubled as a work vehicle. I liked it because it was uneventfully carefree. For regular maintenance, my mechanics like it because it was nicely set up for working on. Which translated into 'cheaper' for me. In preparation for becoming parents, one of the boys & his sweetie were shopping for a cute-ute a while back, and I suggested they look at the CX-5. Very good reviews. Too new, though to have used ones in their price range, so they ended up with a Subaru Forester. Also a nice rig.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

We bought a Mazda 3 hatchback in August with a 2.5 liter engine. Took a 10 day road trip with it. I love it so far
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Wow, that's quite a few! Mostly very positive responses. Thanks!
    I've thought about some other more expensive marques, but I'm keeping my 2001 M Roadster so the fun car box is checked and I've gotten used to NOT having a car payment. Also I just can't justify spending $60k plus on a car that I'll be putting a lot of miles on.
    I've looked at a few CX-5's with good looking aftermarket wheels and a few bobs and bits. They look really good.
    As to the black interiors my last 2 cars have been tan. I am really over tan so black would be great.
    Great to hear about the engine. For the US market it's supposedly 173hp and 310 ft/lb. Most likely for US emmisions which punish NOx more than CO2.

Oh... and I forgot the 'Mercury Tracer' wagon my wife owned for years. The badge said Mercury, but the collaboration between Ford & Mazda meant our wagon was mostly Mazda. A great rig.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Thinking next daily driver. The new CX-5 will supposedly be available with a 2.2 liter diesel here in the states. 310ft/lb of torque and @ 40mpg. They've been selling the engine to the rest of the world for some time now.
    Anybody here have any experience with Mazda? There reliability looks good. At @ $37k loaded it'd be a relatively inexpensive, efficient and not bad looking ride.
    I've had several over the years, exceptional reliability, good performance, fair comfort.
    Many of the "Ford" branded cars and pickups here are actually rebadged Mazdas, and the pickup in particular is a great vehicle, makes an F150 look pretty bad.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

We and other family members had a series of them, various versions from a sports model to a 4WD. Found them reliable, comfortable, economical. Only reason I didn't buy one this time round was the difficulty of loading boats on top owing to the rear slope and the subsequent short distance between the bars.
    Bought a Kia SUV. Very satisfactory.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    Doesn't FORD own, of part of, Mazda?

I have owned a number of Mazdas (right hand drive Japanese spec) and had few issues with them.
    Ford used to have a financial interest in Mazda. Mazda did considerable engineering work for Ford, and built some of Ford's cars. I'm surprised you haven't joined in, giving your relentless unhappiness with the Ford-badged Mazda you have owned. I think if you were unhappy with Mazda, you would be unhappy with Ford.

I have a 2014 CX-5, almost 100,000 miles n it. Bought it in October,2013.
    So far it has been a great car. Gas milage in the city is a little lower than I had hoped. But no complaints at all. Very smooth ride in the highway for a small car.

Oh, the cup holders suck.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

At the state fair car show, I was really impressed with the Subaru small SUV, forget the name.

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    At the state fair car show, I was really impressed with the Subaru small SUV, forget the name.

See #14
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I have a Ford badged Mazda ute, 2.5 turbodiesel which although being a 2004 model,I have had no problems with.
    Mazdas sell well here. There has been some criticism of the CX-5 having a bit much road noise and somewhat limited rear legroom. Several different models of Mazdas have been criticized for the road noise, but it may be a NZ problem because of the coarse-chip seal that many of our roads have.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

I think the Honda Pilot would be a better vehicle in real world conditions.

I currently own a 2016 Mazda Cx3, and I consider it to be over-engineered and under built for a car that has to survive in Northern Michigan. The same could be said for the Mazda tthe Cx3 replaced, a 2011 Mazda CX-7.

Sky Activ technology is Mazda's term for designing and building their cars as light and lean as possible, and it shows up in rural driving up here in a way that it wouldn't have during my previous life in Missouri.

This is area up here is tough on cars...in winter most of all, but even during the other three seasons.

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post

I currently own a 2016 Mazda Cx3, and I consider it to be over-engineered and under built for a car that has to survive in Northern Michigan. The same could be said for the Mazda tthe Cx3 replaced, a 2011 Mazda CX-7.

Sky Activ technology is Mazda's term for designing and building their cars as light and lean as possible, and it shows up in rural driving up here in a way that it wouldn't have during my previous life in Missouri.

This is area up here is tough on cars...in winter most of all, but even during the other three seasons.

Jeff C
    You do know that Honda Pilot to Mazda CX-3 is not a direct comparison... right?

The CX-9 would be a more direct comparison to the Pilot. Also the Highlander, Sorrento, Explorer, Pathfinder, etc. The category is called 'Midsized SUV'.

But I've read some good reviews of the Pilot... if the OP wanted to step up to a bigger vehicle. The older version seems a bit stodgy.

Cross-shopping the CX-5 will lead you to: Honda CR-V, Subaru Forester, Kia Sportage, Rav4, and Jeep Cherokee.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    You do know that Honda Pilot to Mazda CX-3 is not a direct comparison... right?

The CX-9 would be a more direct comparison to the Pilot. Also the Highlander, Sorrento, Explorer, Pathfinder, etc. The category is called 'Midsized SUV'.

But I've read some good reviews of the Pilot... if the OP wanted to step up to a bigger vehicle. The older version seems a bit stodgy.

Cross-shopping the CX-5 will lead you to: Honda CR-V, Subaru Forester, Kia Sportage, Rav4, and Jeep Cherokee.
    I like the Pilot, and it's well regarded, reliable and built to last--areas where I think the Mazda lineup is lacking. It is also priced in such a manner as to be attainable in the price range Reynaud mentioned. I'll leave the direct comparisons between manufacturers to you and others.

Jeff C

Won't be doing any off roading, plus the roads down here are pretty good compared to what I've driven on up north. Mazda has always erred toward performance. I like that especially considering what I've been driving.
    The main selling point will be the availability of the diesel power plant. Lots of torque for pulling a boat with great mileage when unencumbered is a great combination. If they do as they say and bring the diesel here I'll go have a drive and maybe pull the trigger. My 2001 330i has been a great car, but at 170k is starting to show its age.

IMG_2632.jpg

20" wheels and a bit of lowering and it doesn't look like a "mom car" anymore. More hot hatch than SUV.
    Last edited by Reynard38; 10-30-2017 at 08:19 PM.

I'm not sure I'm in love with the styling of the CX-5... but among all the other 'video game' influenced looks out there, it's not terrible. I like smoother, less busy lines. But one can't recommend aesthetics.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

[design nitpick]

Tragic.
    The driver's door handle on that one is just tragic. Located precisely at the conflux of every curvature on the car.

A number of cars now have the door handles on the B-pillar and C-pillar. Much cleaner, even if it does mean that the kids can't open the doors on their own until age 8.

[/design nitpick]
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post

Jeff C
    FWIW, Sky Activ is Mazda's name for its latest-generation gas engines, which have been drastically re-engineered to maximize fuel efficiency.

The Tesla and the new Range Rover Velar (also under consideration) have a very elegant solution to the door handles, but it does come at a price.

Won't be doing any off roading, plus the roads down here are pretty good compared to what I've driven on up north. Mazda has always erred toward performance. I like that especially considering what I've been driving.
    The main selling point will be the availability of the diesel power plant. Lots of torque for pulling a boat with great mileage when unencumbered is a great combination. If they do as they say and bring the diesel here I'll go have a drive and maybe pull the trigger. My 2001 330i has been a great car, but at 170k is starting to show its age.
    Might note that the gas CX5 has a fairly low towing rating at 2,000 lbs. The diesel may or may not improve this. The gas Equinox tows 3,500 lbs, but the diesel is worse.

The Tesla and the new Range Rover Velar (also under consideration) have a very elegant solution to the door handles, but it does come at a price.
    You learn to limbo when gull-wing doors fail.