Thread: Coos Bay Tammie Norrie build

Default Coos Bay Tammie Norrie build

37862913426_d52c020f12_o.jpg37911196401_f10b665549_o.jpgStrong back almost complete. Will try to add castors this weekend, after which I will actually attach the plywood top shown here. I realize this is probably hell for stout, but the channel iron was free, flat and straight, and cut to just the right length. 4x4's on hand, 2x4's for cross pieces on hand, castors free, so all of the frame at no cost! Huge outlay for the bolts, ($6.00!), before I had to actually buy something, the 2 sheets of plywood.
    After attaching the castors, I will mark the spots on the floor so that if the floor isn't perfectly level, I can return to the same spots that I started, so that frame will flex back to the same level and plumb that I started with. (As per some previous advice on this forum.) Hoping to order the kit in the semi-near future. There's a very real possibility that this build might really happen!

Default Re: Coos Bay Tammie Norrie build

How are going to get to the inside of the hull to clean up squeeze out from the plank lands ?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert W. Long View Post
    How are going to get to the inside of the hull to clean up squeeze out from the plank lands ?
    I have considered that, but have seen it done this way. I followed a link to "Building the Richards family boat", where he basically built a box for his strong back. The first couple of planks would still be accessible, if with difficulty. From there on I may be borrowing trouble, but may just live with it.

Other thoughts?
    Ken

Will be following with interest. Almost built a Tammie Norrie, but went with the Hvalsoe 13 instead.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Ken, i am currently building my 4th(1-16', 1-10' & 2-8') boat(Mini MouseBoat) on a similar knee high 4x16 table(15 years old)

mine has 2x2 stiffeners under the plywood lip which aid clamping stuff down for layout as well as during construction

i find the knee high work surface to be quite convenient and keep a rolling stool on both sides for this tired aching old body to work from

dad & i built the table so he could work while sitting in his roll around chair and i am continuing with his method since moving the table to my barn from his shop

having a LEVEL surface is JAM HANDY...

having a wooden surface for screwing building components down is JAM HANDY

having the edge for aid in clamping is JAM HANDY

with a couple sheets of rigid foam insulation the table makes a super platform for cutting large panels/parts

as just barely seen(just the feet) in the above pic i also have a pair of 8' long knee high sawhorses(over 20 years old) made out of 4x4's where i can store sheet goods, cut parts from full size 4x8 plywood and set boats on for a convenient working height

yes the 4x16 table and 8' sawhorses take space butt the benefit of being able to roll around a project under construction and the ability to crawl up on a sheet of plywood for cutting is JAM HANDY

BTW, i think i am seeing a set of HD flip down casters going on my "find at the flea mkt" list

GOOD LUCK W/ YOUR BUILD

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Ken, I am having a serious strong back / workbench envy here - well built, and if this is an indication of your work, that boat is gonna be just
    beautiful !! I am looking forward to following this build.

Rick

One of the constraints I face is the low ceiling. Plans call for the strong back to be 15" tall, so with the castors it will be right at that. I think that the point Robert was making was that the plywood would make it impossible to reach up under the boat to wipe out the excess epoxy. He has a point. But I'm not sure that I would be able to squeeze this fat old body under that low of a frame anyway. The other issue this solves is that I don't have a long enough bench on which to scarf the planks. This way, I can scarf the planks first, set them aside, and then continue with laying out the forms. The plywood gives me a surface to attach everything to without having to drill the metal channel every time I do that.
    Ken

That is a nice stout bench, it will get you through many boat-builds though I think it will prove to be a bit on the low side. You might consider laying down an upper sacrificial layer, 1/4" masonite or something along those lines that you can toss after it gets banged up and is lumpy from epoxy drips. Back to the height issue. You are going to be working from the keel down so you want a compromise working level between the garboards and sheer. TM can't be much more than 24" deep, I'd shoot for starting with the high point of the keel about 4'-6" off the ground, that should put all your working surfaces between shoulders and hips, a nice space ergonomically.

Cleaning up the lands isn't an issue, you'll be hanging one plank at a time, just reach under there and wipe up the squeeze out with a gloved finger.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

I'll also be watching this thread with interest; I'm building a Tammie Norrie but my progress is not real quick. Enjoy the build, TM has a very pretty hull!
    Al

https://alsboatsdotcom.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by almeyer View Post
    I'll also be watching this thread with interest; I'm building a Tammie Norrie but my progress is not real quick. Enjoy the build, TM has a very pretty hull!
    Al

https://alsboatsdotcom.wordpress.com/
    She does indeed have a pretty hull, one of the things that I loved about her. That and the wineglass transom give her beautiful lines, and I can't wait to get started, though I am sure that this build will not be quick either! One of my goals is to not rush things, and to enjoy the process.
    I tried to look at your build, but could only see the last few posts. What do I need to do to start at the beginning? Thanks for chiming in!
    Ken

Al
    Figured out how to see your blog, very nice job on your build! Only thing missing is a complete list of your rules.

Ken, did you build any components first(spars, rudder) or are you starting with the Hull first?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mitchell View Post
    Ken, did you build any components first(spars, rudder) or are you starting with the Hull first?
    I had intended to do some of that, but some unexpected medical bills have delayed that. Since I have some wood on hand, I intend work with that, although it would not be my first priority. I posted some pics of curly maple in another thread, so won't repeat that. I plan on re-sawing that at a friends as soon as our schedules allow. I will cut it a little long for the thwarts and stern sheets. Then I can play with the scraps to test some stains and dyes.(Dye is supposed to be better for pulling out that type of figured wood, though I've not tried it.) The other piece I have is a piece of fir that has been air dried for I don't know how long. I plan to cut it into strips for the apron and stem. I have heard that if fir is too old, it can be brittle and hard to bend, but we will just have to see. I will use the hot water/towel method and just be slow and easy. (Good news is that it was free!) But I have to wait to actually make the stem because the kit I will buy states that the pattern is just slightly different from the original plans, to match the computer-routed planks.

So that's the plan for now.

Ken

Well, as they say, best laid plans and all that. In the interest of sharing the good bad and ugly, this qualified as ugly. Two of the boards sawed up ok, though the widths weren't consistent, leaving one board too thin. The really bad news was that the thickest board, when sawn, had fissures running all through it and was completely unusable. So I won't have enough material to do the thwarts.

When I sawed the fir, hoping to use it for the apron and stem, it had too many knots to be usable either. So much for using materials on hand! Where did I stash that darned plan B....