Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Two rescued after drifting for 5 months in the Pacific. ... I don't get it????

Default Re: Two rescued after drifting for 5 months in the Pacific. ... I don't get it????

I dunno which atoll they tried to put in at in Kiribati (Google says there are 33 atolls), but it couldn't have been the main island or even Tarawa. Jut too may consistencies in the story. I'll withhold the rant that I'm working up...deep breath....let it go...it doesn't matter...it's all probably a hoax...nobody got hurt and the Navy guys got some good practice out of it.

Default Re: Two rescued after drifting for 5 months in the Pacific. ... I don't get it????

.... does the hull fouling look consistent with five months adrift,? If it is a hoax can nobody recall seeing them, the boat, the dogs somewhere in the last five months?
    definitely something fishy goin'on, but maybe not a complete hoax, more an elaborate exaggeration of a mildly embarrassing event.
    When you come to a fork in the road , take it.

Smarter than the average bear, Booboo

Interesting that she built the boat, but couldn't manage to even try to repair a bent/broken spreader bolt.
    With time to kill, and a and a boat full of parts,dead engine included, it shouldn't have taken too long to fix.

The tiger shark bit sounds really stupid.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Williamson View Post
    Interesting that she built the boat, but couldn't manage to even try to repair a bent/broken spreader bolt.
    With time to kill, and a and a boat full of parts,dead engine included, it shouldn't have taken too long to fix.

The tiger shark bit sounds really stupid.
    R
    I also was intrigued when the one gal said that the other had "built" the boat. Wondering if she meant from the keel up or just fixed up an old boat. Anyone recognize the design or maker?
    As for the sharks, if I was out on the ocean bobbing around helpless in a disabled boat, I be a bit freaked out by those sharks also.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

..and they pronounced Kiribati...as Kiribati.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    ..and they pronounced Kiribati...as Kiribati.
    Yeah, it's pronounced Christmas.

Was that Kiribati or Kiritimati?

Which boat are we looking for? https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...y:-21.5/zoom:3
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    .... does the hull fouling look consistent with five months adrift,? If it is a hoax can nobody recall seeing them, the boat, the dogs somewhere in the last five months?
    definitely something fishy goin'on, but maybe not a complete hoax, more an elaborate exaggeration of a mildly embarrassing event.
    Really good antifouling paint, eh? I was looking at that, too.

Some interesting questions raised at https://slowboatsailing.wordpress.co...-linus-wilson/

I see questions, not basic undercutting the basic story.

The junk on the topsides looks like grass to me. Consistent with relentless rolling...or wallowing.
    Ive had growth up onto the paint like that after weeks on one tack.

I get the feeling that they just ran out of weed.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

We just spent 5 months drifting around the pacific ourselves. We were so lucky to survive it, by the looks.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    The junk on the topsides looks like grass to me. Consistent with relentless rolling...or wallowing.
    Ive had growth up onto the paint like that after weeks on one tack.
    I read somewhere else it looked like rust.

me too, but its a fibre glass boat...so as Marvin said believe nothin' that you hear and only half of what you see...
    When you come to a fork in the road , take it.

Smarter than the average bear, Booboo

Bruce has it nailed, thats what it is.
    Apart from the serial exaggeration, 55 to 70 knots when there wasn't, 10 knot currents in an area known for a 1/2 knot set, packs of ravenous tiger sharks of a size not seen since the Pleistocene, broken mast when it isn't, broken spreader when it isn't, fibreglass production boat' she built' even though she bought it off someone else etc etc, about the only things that ring true are that you can no longer enter the Christmas island lagoon( part of the Kiribati group ) and they've been rolling around out there for 5 months or so.The Kiribati group extends from the old Phosphate island , Ocean island , and Tarawa ...1000's of miles to the west and to Christmas island below Hawaii and fairly on the route between it and Tahiti thereabouts.Gilbert and Ellice islands was their old name.
    Up until sometime in the early mid 00's you could get a normal draft boat into Christmas but a cyclone /tsunami changed that. Must have been about 2013 or so, a friend had to stop off with a broken forestay and ended up anchored in the roadstead outside. 32 ft boat of about 5 ft draft too so its a big change.
    The way the media have reported it is ... funny. Pretty soon the giant media tigers will turn and start gnawing at the hull, they're already watching very closely. Thank goodness it didn't turn into the life of Pi.
    Last edited by John B; 10-29-2017 at 05:36 PM.

Guys, I smell AW disease.

I may be wrong, but the whole story just smells of, "O, Looka Meee!"-itis.

YMMV, but mine doesn't.
    Hands too small: Can't build his Wall!

Frayed Knot Arts: Fancywork and Rope Jewelry
    http://www.frayedknotarts.com.html[

The whole thing seems odd.
    About the tow, it is difficult for a ship to tow a modest sailboat. The towlines on the ship are much too large, the slow speed of the ship too fast for the small hull. Sailboat cleats may not take the strain of the tow. Once in tow, the towing vessel has some responsibility for the towed. If I were the ship captain, I wouldn't tow it either. Let them call their insurance.

Bizarre tale that just does not add up, listening to the You tube interview they referred to Christmas Is as Kiribati which one might mistakenly do with a quick internet search and a general lack of knowledge .

If indeed they did stop at Christmas Is the village is located just inside the lagoon with about 30 miles of open fetch to the other side of the Atoll creating a poor anchorage , the pass in the eighties was considered dangerous due to many submerged pilons damaged by hurricanes.The two times we went ashore we got asolutly saturated due to the chop and found the locals not friendly, also had a very close encounter with a Tiger shark after spearing a Trevelli.

Interesting to see what the underwriters do with their claim.

Quote Originally Posted by dinoa View Post
    Interesting to see what the underwriters do with their claim.
    Chances are that they had no insurance on that boat.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

And they can't wait to do it again............

http://nypost.com/2017/10/30/women-r...eir-next-trip/

Many voyagers follow Street's advice that one does not want one's last thought as the boat goes down to be, "Thank God my premiums are up to date." Better to invest in good gear, like that extra watermaker.

Some carping here and on FaceBook is, I think, misplaced. For example, people have harped on Fuiva claiming that Appel "built" the boat. She also and more accurately said that Appel put something broken together. Appel certainly made statements that appear factually wrong or at least problematic. And her bubbly over-enthusiasm may translate into wild overstatement. I certainly remember when a sixteen foot makko looked at least thirty feet long it lept free of the water and our charter party fought it for twelve hours, or maybe three. And on this Forum I've routinely grumbled about how people routinely turn three foot swells into eight footers.

I look forward to more revelations.

That was an 8 foot shark Ian.

To quote my son, "Two Stupids don't make a Smart."

My Dad always said, "A little knowledge can be dangerous thing!"

Not having been there raises suspicion on the part of those of us who have had problems at sea.

My own opinion is that these two, unfortunate, individuals were not equipped to attempt such a voyage both in mind and skills!

Jay

In Vanua Bulavu we got attacked by an 18 in long beltfish , in our bed. No .. wait , a 5 ft long barracuda with 4 inch fangs jumped in between us, and it was only my matt damon-jason bourne combat skills that enabled us to survive.
    maybe it was 6 ft long......

For what it's worth, I believe this story. Broken spreader, flooded engine, no phone, few navigation skills. Yup.
    It is astonishing how little aptitude these women had for emergency repairs, but so be it.
    The navy didn't want to tow the boat, so its floating out there.

Nobody has mentioned vitamin C. Maybe they has pills too?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Some interesting questions raised at https://slowboatsailing.wordpress.co...-linus-wilson/

I see questions, not basic undercutting the basic story.
    Some more meaningful undercutting appears here http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...ergency-beacon

Quote Originally Posted by rudderless View Post
    Some more meaningful undercutting appears here http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...ergency-beacon
    Well, there you have it. They didn't fire the emergency beacon because they didn't think drifting at sea for 5 months was an emergency. I suppose they would describe it more as a lark. If they enjoyed the drifting, how much harm have they done?

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    I suppose they would describe it more as a lark.
    There is a lot of stuff that goes on under false pretenses by amateurs at sea

I was once a crewman at the wheel of a trimaran in the women's home waters, steering thru strange inattentive traffic around one of those huge buoys a few dozen miles offshore. I guess it is supposed to attract fish altho there may be sensors on it. But only a few seemed to be fishing, and I was warned to watch out for boats with nobody at the helm for days. The scuttlebutt was that some were dens of vice and others on some dark wonderlust of a type not confided with landlubber friends and family.

At that time there was a lot of vandalism to the buoys, but I guess the gov't installed security cameras or something and the mystery "fishers" or "voyagers" go further afield. P.S. in wee hours when the stars blaze against a dark sky, there would arise ridiculous amounts of blinking small plane traffic between the islands - I have a guess at what was too urgent to be carried by regularly scheduled carriers.
    Last edited by rudderless; 10-31-2017 at 08:13 AM.

The above is really a tale of two idiots.

Read this:

https://www.snopes.com/2017/10/31/ha...edium=facebook
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

"So, instead of stopping for help, they say they set a new destination about 1,000 miles (1,609 kilometers) away and a few hundred miles beyond their original target of Tahiti. They were headed to the Cook Islands." This makes no sense at all..can't make Tahiti, so they set their destination a few hundred miles farther?

Gives women sailors a bad name.

I am surprised the Navy didn't sink it as a hazard to navigation.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

I don't think its about women sailors, Gerard ,I know a lot of them , I even live with one ....and none of them are like those two.
    Perhaps you're right , but I think they just give all sailors a bad name. Them and that other serial rescued individual, Rimas, who gives a bad name to men.

On the positive side , the picture they paint must inspire fear and loathing in many would be boaties, and keep the sea lanes just a little bit more open for others.
    Its fascinating whats emerging now, its a train wreck.

One of the duo, Appel, seems to be an aspiring actress with a brief appearance as an extra on "Cougartown" (visit http://hawaiifilmindustry.com/profile/JenniferAppel). She also appears in a skydiving video on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN8SYJwjhVg. Could publicity for a hoped-for acting career be the motive for this possible hoax. Also http://www.sfchronicle.com/news/worl...f-12319155.php.
    Last edited by capefox; 11-01-2017 at 12:39 AM.