Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Two rescued after drifting for 5 months in the Pacific. ... I don't get it????

Default Re: Two rescued after drifting for 5 months in the Pacific. ... I don't get it????

Was on youtube last night watching a La Vagabond episode and there in the list of vids was a 40 minute one about this rescue.?

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

Default Re: Two rescued after drifting for 5 months in the Pacific. ... I don't get it????

"I'm shocked they were going to Tahiti," said Desiree Hattori. "Her boat wasn't in the best shape."
    Hawaii News Now also learned this isn't the first time Appel has run into trouble on the water. In 2012 she ran aground on the rocks off Magic Island after her engine lost power. She went to the hospital. That boat was a total loss.
    Latest HNN newscast may be reminiscent of Amelia Earhart's gap between confidence vs. abilities. She had an excellent female instructor pilot who wrote up Amelia as a poor student without flying aptitude. When a publicity agent chose a women for stories on female recordbreaking attempts, the masterful female pilot was judged as not photogenic enough. Amelia had the needed appearance, and proceeded to crash here and there, including simply taxiing looking for the main Honolulu runway. So celebrating her spunk is kinda like validating the neanderthal model where blonde curls are prerequisite. It's fine to say my gender can do what yours can, as long as this includes paying the same price of preparation.

Quote Originally Posted by capefox View Post
    Could publicity for a hoped-for acting career be the motive for this possible hoax.
    Last edited by rudderless; 11-01-2017 at 05:11 AM.

The 16 islands (all but two are atolls) north of Fiji straddling the equator used to be called The Gilbert and Ellice Islands and were a British Colony from around 1900 until 1979. Before 1900 they were known by the inhabitants as Tungaru.

After independence, the British added the some of the Line Islands (including Christmas and Fanning plus some 29 more) to their new nation. The new nation was called Kiribati, which is a phonetic interpretation of 'Gilberts', made somewhat obscure by the fact that the letters 'ti' in Kiribati are pronounced as the English 's', and also because the people who speak the Kiribati language tend to turn 'l' into 'r'. There is no 's' in the Kiribati language.

So the new nation is roughly pronounced in English as Kiribus. Similarly, Christmas Island in the Kiribati language is spelled and pronounced as Kiritimati, or roughly in English Kirisimus.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Thanks for that.
    I was having trouble with the references to Christmas Island and such.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

re:#72
    Careful, there, rudderless! Starting to trample on our dear little Amelia's legacy of BS which we have (mostly) swallowed whole. The 'story' of "That Last Flight" has more holes in it than most sunken ships, but it's become a part of our 'heroic literature' and, as such, is almost sacrosanct and inviolable.

Were these two plonkies actually 'lost' or were they just building up their own Crowhurstian fantasy voyage? If Crowhurst had NOT had the incredibly bad luck of everyone else 'in the lead' either sinking, becoming disabled or just cutting loose for another shot at circumnavigation, we'd probably have him enshrined in the annals of sailing, instead of being a cautionary object lesson to all single-handers.

I'm sorry, but I smell attention whores. YMMV
    Hands too small: Can't build his Wall!

Frayed Knot Arts: Fancywork and Rope Jewelry
    http://www.frayedknotarts.com.html[

Quote Originally Posted by capefox View Post
    One of the duo, Appel, seems to be an aspiring actress with a brief appearance as an extra on "Cougartown" (visit http://hawaiifilmindustry.com/profile/JenniferAppel). She also appears in a skydiving video on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN8SYJwjhVg. Could publicity for a hoped-for acting career be the motive for this possible hoax. Also http://www.sfchronicle.com/news/worl...f-12319155.php.
    Ding, Ding Ding! I think we have a winner cape fox.
    I hope the US Navy bills these aspiring attention seekers for the rescue as a warning to all other wanna be tv stars and
    Serial rescuers.

Something ain't right

Feels like a bad case of lookitme, lookitme,lookitme

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    The 16 islands (all but two are atolls) north of Fiji straddling the equator used to be called The Gilbert and Ellice Islands and were a British Colony from around 1900 until 1979. Before 1900 they were known by the inhabitants as Tungaru.

After independence, the British added the some of the Line Islands (including Christmas and Fanning plus some 29 more) to their new nation. The new nation was called Kiribati, which is a phonetic interpretation of 'Gilberts', made somewhat obscure by the fact that the letters 'ti' in Kiribati are pronounced as the English 's', and also because the people who speak the Kiribati language tend to turn 'l' into 'r'. There is no 's' in the Kiribati language.

So the new nation is roughly pronounced in English as Kiribus. Similarly, Christmas Island in the Kiribati language is spelled and pronounced as Kiritimati, or roughly in English Kirisimus.
    Up to a point, Lord Copper.

The Gilberts are Kiribati; the Ellice islands are Tuvalu. Separate nations, different languages and they don’t even like each other much. I am heavily biased in favour of Tuvalu having had Tuvaluan colleagues.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Yes it strikes me as odd too.
    footnote : on the eastern side of Vanua levu , Fiji , are two smaller islands . Rabi( Rambi) is owned by people displaced from Ocean island ...the old capital of The Gilberts and a phosphate mine. Read A Pattern of Islands by Arthur Grimble if the area is of interest. Rabi was some sort of reparation deal...........anyway ,the people on Rabi are from Kiribati/ Gilbert.
    Next door and just to the west is Kioa which was bought by Tuvalu and is populated by people from those islands. I think they bought that themselves through wise investment. Tuvalu is in the process of being raped by the fishing industry, so its quite wealthy. They're going to need to be because they are certainly under threat by high sea levels , as are the people on Tarawa.
    We visited Rabi , the people are quite different looking from either the Fijian or Tongan/ Fijian people you see on the other islands. We didn't get to Kioa but met a couple of people from there and again , just a completely different look to them.
    Its a wonderful area.

This is a great thread , I think we need to thank these two people for bringing it into our lives.
    Last edited by John B; 11-01-2017 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    Up to a point, Lord Copper.

The Gilberts are Kiribati; the Ellice islands are Tuvalu. Separate nations, different languages and they don’t even like each other much. I am heavily biased in favour of Tuvalu having had Tuvaluan colleagues.
    Yes point taken, I inadvertently left the Ellice Islands post independence out of the conversation as the topic was Kiribati and a confusion between Kiribati and Kiritimati. However, that said, I have many Tuvaluan friends up on Tarawa and on some of the outer islands, but I'm not biased either way and wouldn't want to be.

As to Ocean Island, it's name was Banaba and the locals called Banabans. A lot also live in Australia as well as Rabi, and no doubt NZ, and currently there is a push by some of them to return to Banaba. I've been working with some of them to try to assist in bringing that about.

As an interesting side note, I have copies of quite a lot of Grimble's original notes on the Gilberts, given to me by Harry Maude whilst I was doing my PhD fieldwork up in Kiribati. Maude worked for Grimble and then succeeded him as Colonial Administrator. Needless to say, I have a great love of the place. I have never been to Christmas Island though I would love to get there for some bonefishing.
    Last edited by johnno; 11-02-2017 at 05:41 AM.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

The weirdest thing is still that these two did not show a touch of being outdoors in the sun for many months...

So I just caught that they had a functional bilge pump but somehow a storm that is unverified by meteorological records managed to flood their boat to the point where an engine was submerged and irreparably damaged. They make no mention of trying to close the companionway hatch.

I still think the slime line fits with a rolling boat without way but as was mentioned earlier, that antifouling looks very clean for that time at sea. I wish mine was as good as that, but it took several waterline cleans to be presentable.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I still think the slime line fits with a rolling boat without way but as was mentioned earlier, that antifouling looks very clean for that time at sea. I wish mine was as good as that, but it took several waterline cleans to be presentable.
    All the tiger sharks attacking the boat knocked or ate the slime off below the waterline. Vicious, they were, vicious. Hungry too. Hungry enough to eat the slime.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

My detector is going off

Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Price?........................ Priceless!
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

The last sentence explains a lot

Quote Originally Posted by richbeck View Post
    The last sentence explains a lot
    The posting has been taken down. What did it say?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    The posting has been taken down. What did it say?
    It was obviously a spoof post, listing the boat for sale, and mentioning its "qualities," and "I built it all myself."

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Thats too bad, I shoulda taken a screen shot. My kind of humor, wish I had thought of it myself.
    Last sentence of the mock add said "book and movie coming soon",or, close.
    bruce

The post also mentioned the only damage was shark skin oils and slime. Someone in the comments suggested the scratches on the hull caused by a school of 50 ft megalodon sharks was not a concern as they would buff out.

And Appel's next book will be "Fifty Shades of Spray". To see why this is an apt title, to learn about her career as many things from organic farmer to dominatrix to exotic dancer all complete with explicit photos and remarks from a former boyfriend or two at what a dreadful sailor she is, go to
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4xy1UTj1C

Hmmmm,.......... I haven't kept up on the details, but I'm guessing that my unspoken thoughts of "calling Donald Crowhust" weren't far off?

Maybe not quite. Look at the linked vids and read the salacsious daily mail bit I linked at #93.

Cowhurst went mad. Abel has been ditzy nutso for decades.

G'luck

What's the book title? "Frozen-snot boat, flexi-snot boobs"?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

This story just gets better all the time, and now the 'ladies' are getting just what they apparently wanted out of it, which was notoriety? They have been on the 'Today' show and countless other news programs. A professional dominatrix and stripper and a security guard who had met just the week before they supposedly left Hawai'i, the stripper having already grounded a pretty big boat. Throw that stuff in with everything we know about how the boat was prepped for the trip (the EPIRB story is just mind-blowing) and this is one of the more bizarre sailing adventures I have ever heard of.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    What's the book title? "Frozen-snot boat, flexi-snot boobs"?
    Bondage With Boats?

This is pretty good:

https://www.facebook.com/BritishCome...6430560240906/

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk