Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Two rescued after drifting for 5 months in the Pacific. ... I don't get it????

Default Two rescued after drifting for 5 months in the Pacific. ... I don't get it????

I saw this story on the news last night. I'm very glad they were 'rescued' regardless of the situation, however I don't get it?
    My question is ... in the rescue footage the mast was up, rigging intact, main was furled on the boom. How/why do you just drift for 5 months? They said their auxiliary engine died. It was a SAILBOAT ​wasn't it??????

Default Re: Two rescued after drifting for 5 months in the Pacific. ... I don't get it????

I had the same reaction. Sometimes the sea does forgive incompetence. They must have learned their sailing craft from watching All Is Lost. Might be interesting to know the details but the picture looks embarrassing for somebody.
    Tom L

Default Re: Two rescued after drifting for 5 months in the Pacific. ... I don't get it????

News articles say their engine packed up and then their "mast broke" on voyage from HI to Tahiti. Two women and two dogs. Also that they had a water-maker on board and "had packed a year's worth of food." They reportedly radioed for assistance "but were too far from land to be heard." So, I guess the moral of the story is that packing a water-maker and a year's worth of food is as good as packing an EPIRB or an SSB, which appears to be the only bit of gear they didn't bring along!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...hs-lost-at-sea

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

..or a plastic sextant.

It is bizarre, but reciprocal course did occur to me.

I read the story, too; on the Beeb. Looking at that photo I am reminded of the joke about the [insert preferred stupidity-tainted ethnic slur here] who buys a chainsaw, but brings it back the next day when it doesn't work well; he can't even get half a cord bucked in an afternoon of hard work. Concerned, wanting to give the saw a test run, the salesman chokes the saw, gives the cord a good tug, and it fires right up. The rube who bought it says, "Holy cats! What's that noise!?"

You mean we were supposed to *raise* the sails!?

Side note: If the engine packed up, they must have had a genset to run that watermaker. Good thing it didn't pack up, too.

Glad the dogs came out okay.

Alex

This edition of the story says the 'broken mast" was actually a broken spreader.
    https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...-sea/23257968/
    Still a lot of questions and reporters who don't seem to know enough to ask the right questions.
    Last edited by jackster; 10-27-2017 at 05:20 PM.

Sounds like a blond joke that wrote itself.

ZZ

As much fun as Rimas.
    Whoever made that watermaker better get their stock in order for all the new orders. Which begs the mystery of how they powered it. Gen set I suppose, since the main engine was kaput and DC would use too much energy for prolonged use.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitsligo View Post
    Side note: If the engine packed up, they must have had a genset to run that watermaker. Good thing it didn't pack up, too.

Glad the dogs came out okay.Alex
    The story () says they had "a water purifier" Not exactly sure what that is.

Quote Originally Posted by jackster View Post
    The story () says they had "a water purifier" Not exactly sure what that is.

looks like this little thing

Katadyn_Survivor_4d274663ac6d2-500x500.jpeg

https://www.watercheck.biz/products/katadyn-survivor-35-hand-operated-desalinator-watermaker

2.395$ + postage......

might be cheaper to carry some spare rigging parts to fix broken spreaders

Thanks, Laurent. Looks like a VERY useful piece of equipment if it performs as advertised . Although rather expensive, I can see justifying it.
    Yea, lots of unanswered puzzles with this situation. I can foresee using a lifeline stanchion as a make-shift spreader. Or a piece floorboard or SOMETHING for-Pete-sake!!
    But easy for me to second guess from a warm house on dry land, Hey?

Interesting option... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Katadyn-PUR...38.m2548.l4275
    Last edited by jackster; 10-27-2017 at 06:24 PM.

Every used one of those hand RO units. Very very hard work. Given the amout of time, they needed to be very tough and to have plenty of spare membranes. Counting the dogs and allowing water for cooking dry supplies, two gallons per day would keep them fit and happy. A couple hours per day pumping.

They sure looked awfully good for being adrift all that time.
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Every used one of those hand RO units. Very very hard work.
    Matt Rutherford used one of those during his circumnavigation of the Americas. His first one broke early in the voyage and someone ferried a replacement to him. He said that he gave up coffee because by the time he had pumped enough to brew a cup he was wide awake.

Interesting interview with them at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZaa...&feature=share.

The story begins to make more sense.

Hmmm,...... peculiar.

(anyone else see two perfectly aligned spreaders on that mast?)

Well, the coasties apparently declared the boat unseaworthy, so I'll defer to their judgement. And not everyone out on the water is up to climbing the mast to McGuyver things. A good skill to have, but not everyone out there has it. But yes, they did look in very good health. TV news said they had rough seas, and aggressive tiger sharks basically attacking the boat. Plus they didn't eat the dogs.

Chip

Yeah - I love the Tiger shark bit. The pair of them seem to share a single IQ
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

So many of us who were not there know so much more of the situation . . .

Hey bigfella, don't Forget your own undertitle statement thing....

I think there's something a bit not right here, as well...Spreaders seem ok but the navy condemn the boat,... maybe they just couldn't or wouldn't tow it, ... one of the first reports said they had intended to motor to Tahiti, but that would seem odd in a sailboat, let alone the amount of fuel required and stored for three weeks motoring.
    If they were truly incompetent as some posts suggest, then about 90 % of the nautical poulation fall into the same class. Naive, probably, inexperienced probably, optimistic probably, unlucky certainly. though sensible enough to have two water purifiers and plenty of vittels for three times their expected voyage including the messing about when they got there
    I crewed- sailed a 1890 Bacalhoeira from Vigo to Villamoura . with not even a radio, a guy I met in Lisbon had sailed from Cape Cod, solo, via Eire, with a school atlas.
    I fear the worst thing regards mental attitude was the two women seemed to have a 'if we get into bother we'll call the lifeguard.' lamentable and all to common according to some RNLI volunteers i've known.
    Remember Magellan, Vasco de Gama, that Cortez bloke who explored Baja Califórnia on a log, ...no epirbs and purifiers, and Francis Chichester's stock included a keg of bitter.
    When you come to a fork in the road , take it.

Smarter than the average bear, Booboo

Those who listen through their interview will know that a bolt holding the spreader bracked was bent and they felt the whole was too compromised to risk putting up much sail. Feeling that it was unsafe to work on the mast in open ocean, they motored to an atol but once there found they drew too much to get in. And then on to one unfortunate adventure after another. Many sailors might have effected the repair at sea, but if one has doubts about climbing skills on a rocking mast, the decision to search of quiet water makes good sense.

Lots of questions to be answered. I guess the most salient one being "what did they learn?" I'm reluctant to pass judgement, but wold hope that in a similar situation I could have risen to the challenge a little better. The boat looked far better than many that have made port under their own power.

Those who listen through their interview will know that a bolt holding the spreader bracked was bent and they felt the whole was too compromised to risk putting up much sail. Feeling that it was unsafe to work on the mast in open ocean, they motored to an atol but once there found they drew too much to get in. And then on to one unfortunate adventure after another. Many sailors might have effected the repair at sea, but if one has doubts about climbing skills on a rocking mast, the decision to search of quiet water makes good sense.
    Thanks for the link of the interview, you are correct, it makes the whole think make much more sense. They admit to being novices at sea, but listening to them, I don't think they handled things all that badly. Mainly they were just confused about where to go once they had the mast problem.

I know I wasn't there, but if they were caught in a force 11 storm the night they left Hawaii, I have to question their ability to read a weather map. That's a foundational skill for anyone sailing offshore.
    I'll just take my chances with those salt water joys.

AR

Interesting interview with them at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZaa...&feature=share.

The story begins to make more sense.
    Wind speeds in May of 2017 at Honolulu. https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/...th=5&year=2017

No indication of a force 11 storm. It would have to have been very local for them to be in such a storm the first night and not have something extraordinary in the wind showing in these records.

Nor does the Devil's Triangle thing check out. This is as close as I could come on an internet search. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil%27s_Sea

I certainly believe them when they say they were not experienced sailors. For the rest of what they said, there may be some exaggeration.

Move over Tristan Jones.
    "If a man speaks at sea where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?"

I don't think many sailboats leave Hawaii with 2 functional Katadyn Survivor 35 (2.395$ per unit...) plus one year of food. It looks like they seeked "some" advices from a smart guy, and that this guy considered that there was a serious risk they would be completely adrift after a couple of weeks.

Even with the spreader problem, I would think they would put up a scrap of sail just to get somewhere instead of just drifting around.
    Seems they had no problem solving skills.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Too much of their story doesn’t add up. I think the truth of the story is it is an scam. Look at the evidence
    1. The women’s overall health. No signs of any deprivation at all after 5 months on a smal sailboat in the Pacific sun. No sunburn, not even tan lines for sunglasses around the eyes. Not to mention the health of the dogs.
    2. Sails neatly furled.
    3. The Captain of he US Navy vessel declared the sailboat unseaworthy, but it survived 5 months floating.
    4. Miraculously, the boat drifted for 5 months without any power, but was never broached/knocked down/capsized by storm waves and or rogue wave.
    5. They said in an interview they were “looking forward to retrieving their boat”. What boat would they use to locate it? The the friend who dropped them off. How would they locate it? Locator beacon perhaps?
    I could go on.
    Most likely scenario:
    Someone dropped them off at the sailboat then waited a day or 2 then located the nearest vessel, in this case a fishing vessel. Why didn’t the fishing vessel render aid?
    Reasons to do this:
    1. 15 minutes of fame. It’s amazing how people will humiliate themselves on reality tv shows.
    2. Book/movie/speaking tour about their “amazing rescue”
    Sort of like the guy with the submarine but less lethal.

Maybe the Navy Captain refused to tow it because he smelled a rat? Waiting for them to return then bill them for the rescue?

Vote on your favorite reasons or add more.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlc View Post

Vote on your favorite reasons or add more.
    an advertisement campaign for hand-held desalinizators and/or dried food ?

plus, if I were the captain of the navy ship, I would calculate the costs for the US taxpayers of towing the boat vs. its current value for its owners, even if perfectly safe, and I would refuse to spend more public money for that, than this privately owned boat is currently worth. Taxpayers are sometimes quite generous but not beyond a certain point.

What about their family and friends? Were they ever reported overdue? Seems someone should have become concerned not hearing from them for five months.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    Hey bigfella, don't Forget your own undertitle statement thing....

I think there's something a bit not right here, as well...Spreaders seem ok but the navy condemn the boat,... maybe they just couldn't or wouldn't tow it, ... one of the first reports said they had intended to motor to Tahiti, but that would seem odd in a sailboat, let alone the amount of fuel required and stored for three weeks motoring.
    If they were truly incompetent as some posts suggest, then about 90 % of the nautical poulation fall into the same class. Naive, probably, inexperienced probably, optimistic probably, unlucky certainly. though sensible enough to have two water purifiers and plenty of vittels for three times their expected voyage including the messing about when they got there
    I crewed- sailed a 1890 Bacalhoeira from Vigo to Villamoura . with not even a radio, a guy I met in Lisbon had sailed from Cape Cod, solo, via Eire, with a school atlas.
    I fear the worst thing regards mental attitude was the two women seemed to have a 'if we get into bother we'll call the lifeguard.' lamentable and all to common according to some RNLI volunteers i've known.
    Remember Magellan, Vasco de Gama, that Cortez bloke who explored Baja Califórnia on a log, ...no epirbs and purifiers, and Francis Chichester's stock included a keg of bitter.
    They said they went to Kiribati to fix it, but couldn't get in because it's too shallow. Um, hello, it's 7.1 - 9.1 metres anchoring depth and 6.4 metres minimum at the cargo dock.

They sailed backwards for a day. Hmm. Good nav checks.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

This is another example of why rigid spreader attachment at the tangs is not a good idea! Had the mast been built with free pivoting spreaders the mast problem, most likely, would not have occurred.
    Jay

Seriously.... anyone who can't figure out how to get 20' up a mast on a calm day and do some sort of jury-rigging of the spreaders to strengthen them enough to handle sail - just shouldn't be leaving their care facility.

At least the navy went up to take a look at it. (photo courtesy of the original thread... in the bilge)

Last edited by The Bigfella; 10-28-2017 at 10:59 PM.