Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shellback capsize

Default Re: shellback capsize

Back to the Shellback: Subsequent to the swamping test, did anyone experiment with adding foam blocks under the thwarts of a Shellback to see how easily the boat could be retrofitted for self rescue?
    It would be nice if the flotation could be arranged so it doesn't interfere with sailing, rowing, or hauling a load of supplies and crew from shore to a moored boat.

Maryland, USA... Sometimes Ontario Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hazard View Post
    Back to the Shellback: Subsequent to the swamping test, did anyone experiment with adding foam blocks under the thwarts of a Shellback to see how easily the boat could be retrofitted for self rescue?
    It would be nice if the flotation could be arranged so it doesn't interfere with sailing, rowing, or hauling a load of supplies and crew from shore to a moored boat.
    I did a swamping test on the shellback, there's a photo in the thread Sailor started, no mast/spars etc, and the shellback just floated with the gunnels exposed. As many indicated, there's no bailing/self rescue, the trunk is way submerged..
    I have 3 little ones, and self rescue is a requirement before they are allowed off to sail on their own. so I'm I'm working on a foam floatation to attach, that will not affect her good looks for when I want to sail her ;-) , due to the impending weather (aka it's November in Canada)... I don't expect any progress until spring... if you're patient, by summer of 2018 I should be able to share some pics :-)

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Foam below the CB trunk will force water out through the trunk, meanwhile water is not coming in over the rail.
    The trunk can work in your favor.....or against you.

I think there was a thread somewhere on WBF where folk talked about flotation placement. I seem to recall good words said about centerline floatation, which tends to prevent a boat turning turtle (as along as the mast floats). This doesn't help with righted-and-partially-filled stability, however. One post I think talked about clever distribution of foam along bottom and sides to try to optimize the qualities of righted stability and 180-prevention. -- Wade

Centreline buoyancy can help with partially-filled stability if it forms a baffle preventing sloshing of water from side-to-side. The tank in the Hadron dinghy is a good example of this.

I know most people will disagree with me (judging by the various designs sold in the USA) but I think there is absolutely no excuse to build or even design a small boat that doesn't have sufficient buoyancy to support the boat plus crew. There are so many safe boats out there why on earth would anyone even consider one that could kill you if you capsized it??

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard of Woods Designs View Post
    I know most people will disagree with me (judging by the various designs sold in the USA) but I think there is absolutely no excuse to build or even design a small boat that doesn't have sufficient buoyancy to support the boat plus crew. There are so many safe boats out there why on earth would anyone even consider one that could kill you if you capsized it??

of the few design lectures I remember the one on design ethics stands out. Paraphrasing it stated with show of hands ‘who would design a cup’ and after discussion and ramping it up we ended with ‘an atomic bomb’ - no hands up.

Consumers of design have no compression of the responsibility designers live with. I spend a good few years designing lawn mowers - in the UK they account for 3 deaths per year.

Making sure our designs cause no harm is a noble principle and well done for not compromising

Quote Originally Posted by Richard of Woods Designs View Post

gs

The interesting challenge is retrofitting buoyancy to traditional designs. It can be done, just take a look at the Optimist. Bags under seats or under decks. Foam blocks; for aesthetics I saw a set of foam blocks covered with canvas that had been glued to the foam with industrial or construction adhesive. We did it to RANTAN which now has enough bags to float boat and crew and have the trunk out of water, and to my ducker which has canoe bags under each after deck. Shellbacks can get a bag under the stern sheets, a bag under the rowing thwart and a triangular bag forward. There you would need some substantial lashing points. These can be made by gluing down a ply disk with a slot or hole in it so a webbing or line loop can go in from the bottom and just have the loop end poking up.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

I couldn't agree with you more here Richard.