Thread: here are my trailer concerns, any idea on a good trailer to address my challenges?

Default here are my trailer concerns, any idea on a good trailer to address my challenges?

i just bought a 19' caledonia yawl. I have trailered small (15-19 foot) wooden and fiberglass boats for decades. The trailers were always too heavy for boat and rollers were too high off ground, which leads to several problems: 1. difficult to launch at poor ramps or when tide is low, 2. they are hard to handle because trailer weighs too much and 3. their springs are too stiff for a wooden boat. Its much better (for me) to have a boat trailer whose capacity is close to overall weight of boat. Currently, my caledonia yawl has trailer with 1500 lb capacity, but boat is only about 650 loaded. Also the wheels are 12 inch and with rollers, the boat is much too high for easy launching on days when there is no parking left at the good ramp and i need to go to a dirt or poor ramp to launch. I want a trailer with 8 inch wheels maximum, with at least four rollers for keel, and prefer aluminum. Better yet, i would get a tilting trailer for situations when tide is low or ramp is poor. I keep boat in garage on cape cod when i am not sailing.

given all my trailer concerns, any advice on a good trailer to purchase?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: here are my trailer concerns, any idea on a good trailer to address my challenges

I was having the same problems finding what I wanted so built my own.One thing I've included in my build is a tilt or break back which I hope will solve the height to load problem.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Default Re: here are my trailer concerns, any idea on a good trailer to address my challenges

Rethink the 8" wheels.

The ride quality of a 12" wheel over an 8" wheel is remarkable, and you're only saving 2" of net height.
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

You might try simply replacing the axle with a set of torsion spring stubs, these are rated at 1000lbs for the pair https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...9003_200649003. 650 for the boat plus the trailer weight (2-300?) gets you pretty close to 1000, for that matter, how much does your trailer weigh? You might be closer to the 1500 mark than you think.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

A "cattle chute" works very well with keel boats, CB and swing keels. for storage it's better then rollers that will eventually deflect the wooden hull.

Jet ski trailers are easy to modify

for small trailer boat trailers this works well Just make a long extension on it to reach the hitch or even use a cable and chain. It will make the trailer nearly free to move around with or without a tow car/truck and keep the car out of the water
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

on shallow-angle ramps I find it best NOT to use the tilt feature because it dumps the boat too soon into shallower water at a steeper angle.

Made for light weight boats.

https://www.trailex.com/products/pc/...350-S-7p27.htm

If you look at how the boats are loaded the bow is almost at the coupler. Most boat trailers are made for power boats and expect a lot of weight at the transom. If you take a "standard" aluminum boat trailer rated for about 1200 lbs you will find that you can move the winch as much as two, some times 3 foot forward. This will leave you with a 2 - 3 ft overhang off of the rear part of the trailer.
    http://www.magictilt.com/trailers/al...minum-trailers
    Lots of room with this one to move the winch way forward. You would need to add some a bunk on a pedestal for the forward part of the boat and the wheels may be able to move forward about two foot as well to lighten the tounge weight (can probably leave it as is.
    Last edited by Wtrek; 10-26-2017 at 03:54 PM.

+1 on Trailex. I'm on my second Trailex trailer and still happy. They're not cheap and you'll get creaky if have some age on you putting them together. They will custom design a trailer to suit your boat using parts from their various designs.
    Steve B
    TraditionalSmallCraftAssociation
    DowneastTSCA.org

TraditionalSmallCraft.com
    RIVUS 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

Hmm, my edit did not get into the post above. The above post was just to show the position of small sailboats on these trailers. They are very far forward compared to a power boat. So look at aluminum trailers for small boats like:
    http://www.magictilt.com/trailers/al...minum-trailers

Anyone of the 16 ft boat trailers should work fine. Just move the winch forward to the coupler (4 nuts) and move the single wheel behind the winch post. The bow stop may not be required. You would have to mount a custom support for the forward part of the boat and move the bunks to best fit the boat. You could even move the wheels forward to ease the tounge weight but this is not required but is easy to do.

Road Runner trailers, out of Richmond, British Columbia. They have various US dealers I bought mine for my 15' wherry; tows great, launches well. I modded it of course ( took off the bunks, bolted on a wood platform ). Best of all, it was a real deal compared to other manufacturers, and built better.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

The trailer LOAD RATING is of no importance to you, what you need to know is what the SUSPENSION RATING is. Most trailer leaf springs are rated for 2000lbs even when the overall trailer load rating is much less - the lawyers have made a decision on the latter, not engineers. Personally I hate torsion springs and understand why they aren’t used on cars, but if you can find a set rated for the combined weight of boat and trailer, you can give it a try. The Trailex is your best choice, but keep an eye on the aluminum angle brackets that hold on the hull supports as some folks out here have had them fail.
    Last edited by Thorne; 10-30-2017 at 04:45 PM.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

I built Peerie Maa's trailer to get her as low as I could by using a double spine and hanging the rollers under it.
    trailer deck.jpgtrailer hitch.jpgGuide roller.jpgsafety chain.jpg
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

This topic is often repeated as the small boat trailer industry is geared for outboard motor boats in this size range. Not surprising as there are no doubt thousands of them sold for every sailboat. The best answer is always a custom trailer either DIY or from a manufacture such as Trailex.

My experience has been that a wider trailer that lets the boat nest down between the tires makes launching and rigging a small sailboat much easier. My Helms built 1974 Y-flyer is a good example. Helms built, or had built, a trailer that is no more than 3" channels as side rails with a cross channel at the rear and forward where the side rails bend inward to meet the round pipe that serves as the tongue. There is also a small angle iron crosswise at the axle. A very simple, light and durable design that is still seen at every Y-flyer regatta even after 50 years. If one is handy with a welder the design is easily and cheaply built at home. Of course the advantage of a custom built trailer is that it can the made to fit your boat and launch situation without much compromise.

Here is a photo of a Helms Y-flyer on a factory trailer, somewhat fuzzy but one can see the general concept.
    http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/31815

Great ideas. Thanks very much.
    Richard Vogel
    Patina, Caledonia Yawl

Any chance you can send me a picture or further information on where one could buy the 'factory trailer' for your Helms Y-flyer? It looks like a great solution. thanks.
    Richard Vogel
    Patina, Caledonia Yawl

Trailer rated for 1,100 lbs but your boat is only 650 lbs? Ballast your trailer to make up the difference. Add a pressure treated platform to walk along while you launch, and then add a bit of lead to the frame. The boat should then ride fine.

An example:

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.