Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: I Need To Draw A Circle, But I Only Have A Ruler! Now What?

Default Re: I Need To Draw A Circle, But I Only Have A Ruler! Now What?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    You know, where I work, we only rib the guys we like. Just saying.
    I forget which comedian it was, but the phrase I liked (& found accurate) was "If they're not giving you a hard time, they're not your friend"
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    You know, where I work, we only rib the guys we like. Just saying.
    Meh.

I donít consider being called wrong and amateurish to be ribbing. Especially from folk I donít know.

Someone else can contribute bad ideas. Iím off to the shop, to build stuff improperly, with misnamed tools.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Chippie View Post
    Yes I agree the terminology is rule it irritates me when it is presented as ruler. Pedantic I know, but it indicates a greenhorn to me.

sorry amish rob.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Yeah. Maybe one day I’ll learn what I’m doing.

Peace,
    Robert

Oh don't give up Rob you showed a trait that few possess "winging it" get on with it utilising whatever is at hand. Even our resident expert admitted to not being able to "wing it" to which I registered
    surprise. That method is regularly used in isolated situations where you carry the tools you think you will require and inevitably omit taking something. Actually the " string and pencil method is alright drawing a quadrant but difficult to produce a fully accurate circle.

Attachment 5031
    Well, they’re still rough, but this is why the fuss. I just needed to make a quick circle while I was picking through knees and such to see if it would fit on the piece I needed.

I simply used an old trick I know to make one.

Carry on.

Peace,
    Robert

Oh don't give up Rob you showed a trait that few possess "winging it" get on with it utilising whatever is at hand. Even our resident expert admitted to not being able to "wing it" to which I registered
    surprise. That method is regularly used in isolated situations where you carry the tools you think you will require and inevitably omit taking something. Actually the " string and pencil method is alright drawing a quadrant but difficult to produce a fully accurate circle.
    Yes, and wasn’t that the whole point? I explained, fairly early on, too, that I was digging through some knees and crooks and need to know if a certain piece would allow a 2” mast.

Rather than go somewhere and get something, I simply used the misnamed tools at hand to get the job done.

Instead, the whole affair had to become an “I’m right!” internet extravaganza, with little actual information shared on techniques. It’s like a bilge thread.

Honestly, this ruler trick was performed during the build of a boat I turned rigging thimbles for out of wood I cut in my yard and turned on the foot powered lathe I made (and also documented the “build” of here). Is it any surprise I did things as foolishly as possible as it concerns the circle?

Ironically, I JUST used the technique to mark out and cut a mast hole in a deck. I drilled a series of small holes with a small drill bit just inside the line all the way round the perimeter. Then I cleaned it up with a rasp and file.

I suppose I could have just bought a 2-1/8” hole saw.

Peace,
    Robert

Attachment 5017
    Yes. Iím sure there are other ways. I just thought to share mine.

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. Making a pattern for the jaws for the duck punt boom. I hope I can get them out of this persimmon crook I been saving...
    Now if that carpenters rule has the wee hooky thing like this

You would only need to find a nail for the centre point and you would be in business.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Rob, I like your idea of using what is at hand, but for an attention seeker you seem a bit sensitive when you cant control the attention.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    Rob, I like your idea of using what is at hand, but for an attention seeker you seem a bit sensitive when you cant control the attention.
    Attention seeker?

I bid you all farewell.

Peace,
    Robert

Attachment 5044
    I got this recently. No telling how long it sat in some back room before I got it. Still in the box with the special paper and all. I was very excited to find it. No more chisel wedged into a block of wood. Well... Not all the time.

It donít flatten rabbits worth a squirt.

Peace,
    Robert
    Then you weren't throwing it hard enough.

The older I get the less I can tolerate pedantry, rule, carpenter rule, ruler , maul, mallet, heavy thing on the end of a stick, it doesn’t matter that you called it’s what you do with it, the work produced. Knowing the proper name does nothing , adds nothing to anyone’s creativity or skill, how many have been turned off from learning or making something because some smug fool ragged on about tool names rather than technique . Yes it’s nice and enjoyable to know the odd and amusing names, and I even know a bunch, but for the pendants I think it’s the only thing.
    I say call your tool what ever you want just use it.

Pedants to the left of me
    Pedants to the right
    Here I am
    Stuck in the middle with you

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Now if that carpenters rule has the wee hooky thing like this

You would only need to find a nail for the centre point and you would be in business.
    That hook is obviously to open and hook over the end of whatever then mark the desired measurement only useful in one application as far a I can see.

I could see it becoming problematic if you were taking measurements from a wall or an inside something especially if you couldn't see the end and the hook dropped over and added to the length.

I cannot see it being any help in forming a circle especially at the of the dimensions Rob provides but I'm sure you will have thought of that Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by L.A Marche View Post
    The older I get the less I can tolerate pedantry, rule, carpenter rule, ruler , maul, mallet, heavy thing on the end of a stick, it doesn’t matter that you called it’s what you do with it, the work produced. Knowing the proper name does nothing , adds nothing to anyone’s creativity or skill, how many have been turned off from learning or making something because some smug fool ragged on about tool names rather than technique . Yes it’s nice and enjoyable to know the odd and amusing names, and I even know a bunch, but for the pendants I think it’s the only thing.
    I agree wholeheartedly as to the posturing and posing over tools.

However tools are given a specific name to identify what the are designed to do you just cant call them what you like,

If you had gone into an Ironmongers (are there any of those now?) and asked for a hammer he would probably have asked you sarcastically "What do you want to hit" then he would provide the appropriate hitting tool for the job.

I remember once on a job with my Father and I was struggling to hold a plank onto a frame and I called out desperately " hand me a Know Whaty which came out in the dialect as Narrwattie" he became alert to the desperation in my voice, and was actually looking around, when he yelled out in equal desperation " What's a Bloody Narrwattie?"

That hook is obviously to open and hook over the end of whatever then mark the desired measurement only useful in one application as far a I can see.

I could see it becoming problematic if you were taking measurements from a wall or an inside something especially if you couldn't see the end and the hook dropped over and added to the length.

I cannot see it being any help in forming a circle especially at the of the dimensions Rob provides but I'm sure you will have thought of that Nick.
    The hook works exactly like this hook

Fold it out and the hook it on. For measuring or marking where you do not need a hook leave it folded.
    When drawing a circle. Hook it over your nail at the circle centre, hold your pencil against the desired radius and rotate around the pin.

I know how the hook works and whereas the tape hook slides to allow for the thickness, the rule (r) does not if it dropped into position when taking an inside measurement a far as I can see or is the hole elongated?

Again Nick " I cannot see it being any help in forming a circle especially at the of the dimensions Rob provides but I'm sure you will have thought of that Nick" in fact you elaborate on the awkwardness.

It would be extremely difficult to keep the tape hook on the nail whilst rotating it, the nail would have to protrude lifting the tape from the surface encouraging a parallax error, these thing are elementary to the practical person.

Last edited by Chippie; 08-28-2018 at 07:15 AM.

If I walked into an ironmonger’s and encountered a sarcastic salesperson I’d find a different ironmonger. And anyone using a rule to draw circle is not doing precision work anyway so a parallax error is of little concern. If your going to use a rule, Robs method is probably the most accurate. And why do people still use those rules any way, other than they look cool and give the appearance of a skilled craftsmen at work, they’re thick and clunky, easily broken, don’t lie flat, limited length, unless you measure to the center and add your results they’re useless for inside measurements. I’ve work in wood/cabinet shops all my life and the only time you see those things is when someone goes to their tool box to get their tape measure.

I keep a six foot rule and a six inch rule at hand at all times in the shop. Tapes are great for long stuff but the hook gets wobbly and the measurements start to creep. Nothing beats a solid rule for fine work. Horses for courses....

At the end of the day I bring in the mower that lives by the garage door. It then blocks the path to the garage door opener switch. That six foot folding rule in my back pocket has one last chore...pushing that button. The tape's useless for that.

Jim

^^
    That prompted me to have a walk down memory lane Jim I smiled at our exchange #126-134

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...t-do-you-think

If I walked into an ironmonger’s and encountered a sarcastic salesperson I’d find a different ironmonger. And anyone using a rule to draw circle is not doing precision work anyway so a parallax error is of little concern. If your going to use a rule, Robs method is probably the most accurate. And why do people still use those rules any way, other than they look cool and give the appearance of a skilled craftsmen at work, they’re thick and clunky, easily broken, don’t lie flat, limited length, unless you measure to the center and add your results they’re useless for inside measurements. I’ve work in wood/cabinet shops all my life and the only time you see those things is when someone goes to their tool box to get their tape measure.
    My Red End carpenters rule has this sliding gizzmo for measuring inside measurements. It does not go floppy like a tape measure either.

Good morning Nick.

I used the old method of overlapping sticks mostly.

I recently had the house measured for carpets and the chap was using a laser I would love to be let loose with one of those.

No need to get exited L.A.

They can also be used to draw a straight line, pick up a bevel, scribe to fit, ----

Sarcasm I can handle if it points me in the right direction.

My Red End carpenters rule has this sliding gizzmo for measuring inside measurements. It does not go floppy like a tape measure either.

I used the old method of overlapping sticks mostly.

I recently had the house measured for carpets and the chap was using a laser I would love to be let loose with one of those.

And that little slidey gizmo makes a great pocket rule if and when the folder gets busted.

I learned a neat trick from an old shop foreman. A drop of epoxy on a small rare earth magnet will hold it on the inside of my shop vest pocket and my steel six inch rule wont get away, wont fall out if I bend over.....

Amish Rob innocently shared something he found interesting and then the drift started, therefore, I nominate this thread as the most useless waste of time ever...

Quote Originally Posted by Oldad View Post
    Amish Rob innocently shared something he found interesting and then the drift started, therefore, I nominate this thread as the most useless waste of time ever...
    Meh. It’s drifted back to measuring devices and how (not ) to use them, so fair’s fair. Plus, there IS some good info In the thread.

Peace,
    Robert
    Last edited by amish rob; 08-29-2018 at 10:38 AM. Reason: typos fixed

Fascinating....

Why don't you join in and refute whatever opinion/advice, from whoever you disagree with?

"Why don't you join in and refute whatever opinion/advice, from whoever you disagree with?"

Way too much of this going on, in this thread and on this forum. Best kept to the bilge, imho.

Rob, I've used your method many times to rough out a hole size on a piece of wood. Saw,drill holes, file, sand, whatever to achieve your desired result. Once I realized a 3" circle is just a bigger 2" circle the job of marking out became easier. If you want a 2-1/4" hole(or pattern) and a 2-1/2 diameter soup can is handy I'll mark that circle and cut an eighth inside my marked line. I might tick off a couple of reference points as to required diameter to keep me on track if the differences in diameter are too great for my aging eyesight but you should have no problems with that infirmity, judging by the doodling you exhibit here. / Jim

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    "Why don't you join in and refute whatever opinion/advice, from whoever you disagree with?"

Way too much of this going on, in this thread and on this forum. Best kept to the bilge, imho.
    [QUOTE=chas;5661357]

I thought that the forum was to exchange approaches to tackling problems and except for a very few limited exceptions that is what we are doing.

I deleted the bulk of your submission as I considered it a long winded reiteration of what Rob had already done.

I rather liked that one from Nick which I agree with when Rob sent the Photo of the job involved.

Could have just drawn round your heel. Quicker and probably close enough.

Please, at all costs, don't use the term , " hot water heater." It's, " water heater." Hot water does not need heating.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Off subject sorry
    Last edited by Chippie; 08-29-2018 at 05:45 PM. Reason: irrellevant

"I deleted the bulk of your submission as I considered it a long winded reiteration of what Rob had already done."

Thus proving your ignorance, but what the hey! / Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Please, at all costs, don't use the term , " hot water heater." It's, " water heater." Hot water does not need heating.

Kevin
    Does if it's not hot enough! I take your point however. Kinda like VIN Number.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Those folding rules also super useful for getting a true length on curved surfaces like gunnels.similarly pocket rules are ideal for all manner of scraping and probing. And a standard steel pocket rule makes a great feeler gauge for testing plank seams. Also to throw my two cents in on nomenclature I'd call an iron monger a blacksmith, and a pin maul is called a top maul around here. Thanks for sharing a solid way to make a circle.

Originally Posted by L.A Marche

Well, if one is on one's back, and slid under the hot, and still ticking portside engine such that one's legs are sticking up against the bulkhead while greasy condensation drip,drip, drips on one's face, it's helpful to ask for a tool with confidence that the gofer, child or spouse helping one knows what one means and fetches it lickety split.

Just sayin...

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

That would be funnier if your Queen did anything except leech off the commoners. What does she rule, then?

Thanks for the English lessons, all.

Peace,
    Robert
    Would be a bit more peace if you read some history. The Royal family turned over their property to the state, in return for an income, the 'CIVIL LIST', so, they do not 'leech of the commoners' their money comes from the Crown Estates and they probably got the worst of the deal.