Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: I Need To Draw A Circle, But I Only Have A Ruler! Now What?

Default Re: I Need To Draw A Circle, But I Only Have A Ruler! Now What?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelirrojo View Post
    Also to throw my two cents in on nomenclature I'd call an iron monger a blacksmith,
    No, not where English was developed from Saxon, Norse and French. A monger is someone who sells stuff, a costermonger sold cos apples from a barrow. Iron mongers sell anything made of iron or tin-plate, pots pans,and cleaning materials, stuff for maintain the iron products like sharp stones, oils and kerosene. A smith makes stuff out of metal, for others to sell or to sell directly, but it is the making, mongers don't make, they just sell.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
    Would be a bit more peace if you read some history. The Royal family turned over their property to the state, in return for an income, the 'CIVIL LIST', so, they do not 'leech of the commoners' their money comes from the Crown Estates and they probably got the worst of the deal.
    I was responding to one barb with another. That you took it at face value is no fault of mine.

There might be peace if people got to know the ones they insult before lecturing them. Mayhaps it was my very knowledge of the history of the Royals that allowed me to joke, eh?

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
    Would be a bit more peace if you read some history. The Royal family turned over their property to the state, in return for an income, the 'CIVIL LIST', so, they do not 'leech of the commoners' their money comes from the Crown Estates and they probably got the worst of the deal.
    The civil list is not an income as in a "wage". It pays the wages of the staff and any other expenses accruing from their civil duties. Until Victoria, the monarch dis have to go cap in hand to parliament, but Queen Vic was a canny lass who amassed her own fortune and estates, so her descendants live off of the property that they inherited from Vicky's good investments. Hence the row about whether HMQ should pay income tax to her own Treasury.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

and a empty container when you're done!

Yup, your etmotology is totally correct, and where I live we bastardize our English and there ain't an iron monger to be found. That's what's funny about all this emphasis on correct tool names, a lot of them are regional, and some vary shop to shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Well, if one is on one's back, and slid under the hot, and still ticking portside engine such that one's legs are sticking up against the bulkhead while greasy condensation drip,drip, drips on one's face, it's helpful to ask for a tool with confidence that the gofer, child or spouse helping one knows what one means and fetches it lickety split.

Just sayin...

Kevin
    Thanks Kevin....The prosecution rests.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

· Etymology and history. The name refers to a smith, originally deriving from smiš or smiž, the Old English term meaning one who works in metal related to the word smitan, the Old English form of smite, which also meant strike (as in early 17th century Biblical English: the verb "to smite" = to hit).

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    The civil list is not an income as in a "wage". It pays the wages of the staff and any other expenses accruing from their civil duties. Until Victoria, the monarch dis have to go cap in hand to parliament, but Queen Vic was a canny lass who amassed her own fortune and estates, so her descendants live off of the property that they inherited from Vicky's good investments. Hence the row about whether HMQ should pay income tax to her own Treasury.
    Well here in Australia the Civil List is the list of matters going before the civil courts on any given day. But I'm sure a gronicle is a gronicle, in anyone's language.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippie View Post
    And my adze was the only tool I had or knew of that had an Helve.

All adzes in my experience had helves are there any other tools?
    Oh come on, there's no such thing as helves!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    I was responding to one barb with another. That you took it at face value is no fault of mine.

There might be peace if people got to know the ones they insult before lecturing them. Mayhaps it was my very knowledge of the history of the Royals that allowed me to joke, eh?

Peace,
    Robert
    In any case, it's a very rose-coloured view of royal history! The royal families and associated parasites ripped off the public for centuries, stealing huge tracts of land and properties. At the point where the wealth available through rent and other sources is well beyond the needs of any family, they expect praise for forgoing additional income from their subjects? Give me a bucket!

Rick

No, not where English was developed from Saxon, Norse and French. A monger is someone who sells stuff, a costermonger sold cos apples from a barrow. Iron mongers sell anything made of iron or tin-plate, pots pans,and cleaning materials, stuff for maintain the iron products like sharp stones, oils and kerosene. A smith makes stuff out of metal, for others to sell or to sell directly, but it is the making, mongers don't make, they just sell.
    I wonder why our country is saturated with Smiths but there don't seem to be any Mongers, even though no one actually makes anything anymore but there are loads of shopkeepers!

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 08-31-2018 at 01:17 AM.

Well, if one is on one's back, and slid under the hot, and still ticking portside engine such that one's legs are sticking up against the bulkhead while greasy condensation drip,drip, drips on one's face, it's helpful to ask for a tool with confidence that the gofer, child or spouse helping one knows what one means and fetches it lickety split.

Just sayin...

Kevin
    Sounds to me like a recipe for loneliness.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Oh come on, there's no such thing as helves!

Rick
    https://www.thefreedictionary.com/helve

You really should get out more

If anyone had referred to the helve as "handle" he would have been laughed out of the shop in my part of the woods, especially by that sarcastic Ironmonger.

Jesus! it would be almost as bad as calling A RULE A BLOODY RULER.

Sorry Rob.

-
    Thanks for that Nick any thought on the laser issue on http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...er-adaptations

Helves also found on pickaxes ...
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Helves also found on pickaxes ...
    & sometimes when on a ferry.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

One of the first jobs I had, with a fly by night outfit, we only had one framing square for our three man crew. We referred to it as a squareat, as in "where's the squareat".

Helves and ferries. What next?

Rick

Dwarves.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Dwarves.

Handling a dwarf can be tricky...I hafta admit.

Dferries ties up to dwarves so easy. Dhelves can't handle it at all.

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 08-31-2018 at 08:05 AM.

Just sayin...

Kevin
    I'm pretty sure if I'm in that situation and ask for a ruler they will bring a measuring device and not the Queen of England. If I ask for a scale it's 50/50 on what I might get. Ask for a rule and I'm likely to get a wise ass remark first like, "first rule of maintenance is bring all the tools you need."
    Tom