Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 35 of 36

Thread: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Lake of the Ozarks USA
    Posts
    9,722

    Default Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    Who cares how much it will cost! The prototypes are on display!
    Who cares? Puerto Rico? Puerto Rico can go whistle for reconstruction funding, America needs the wall to keep those Mexicans out--at least until it's time to harvest our crops.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    afloat with at least 6' of water under me.
    Posts
    51,017

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    Quote Originally Posted by Brumbie View Post
    I like the first wall section design on the left.
    I don't like any of them.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Pleasant Valley NS Canada
    Posts
    11,079

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    I thought that the wall was s'posed to be see-thru so you could see the heavy bales of contraband coming over before they flattened you...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    41,937

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    I thought that the wall was s'posed to be see-thru so you could see the heavy bales of contraband coming over before they flattened you...
    The Vertical Blind Wall!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    20,997

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    Quote Originally Posted by Brumbie View Post
    I like the first wall section design on the left.
    And the Berlin wall worked so well, eh?

    Is your hero gonna put guard towers every 100 ft. or so & find the cash to man them all? I bet the soldiers will be psyched to man the posts in the middle of the Rio Grande.

    Oh right - Trump will get Mexico to man it.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    41,937

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    I don't like any of them.
    That's because you're thinking of them in concrete terms. Think of them as vanity plates.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    41,937

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    Quote Originally Posted by Brumbie View Post
    I like the first wall section design on the left.
    It has contrast, color. Not bland at all.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    21,336

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    Aren't the majority of illegals men? (I keep hearing about rapists and murderers....) If they have just 1 guy on the US side to tie a rope to something, how many men can climb over those walls with a simple rope? If anything, we are keeping the benign folks out and not limiting the more robust.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    afloat with at least 6' of water under me.
    Posts
    51,017

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Aren't the majority of illegals men? (I keep hearing about rapists and murderers....) If they have just 1 guy on the US side to tie a rope to something, how many men can climb over those walls with a simple rope? If anything, we are keeping the benign folks out and not limiting the more robust.
    Apparently, the wall is 30' high CW. Now the mine fields will extend 100 yards.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Indian Land, SC, USA
    Posts
    255

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    I hear a design requirement is to prevent tunneling -- they going to spec a 50' deep foundation ???


    Rick

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    21,336

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    Apparently, the wall is 30' high CW. Now the mine fields will extend 100 yards.
    There's a mine field? This just gets crazier by the minute. A 30' foot wall doesn't sound serious to me if you can get a rope over it, but mines are just b@t-sh1t crazy.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    afloat with at least 6' of water under me.
    Posts
    51,017

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    There's a mine field? This just gets crazier by the minute. A 30' foot wall doesn't sound serious to me if you can get a rope over it, but mines are just b@t-sh1t crazy.
    No mine field, I was being sarcastic but, I wouldn't be surprised if Trump didn't put one in.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    8,535

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    This is all so, so silly and wasteful. What you need is deerstands. Lot of em. Every 1/2 mile or so. And clear out a 200 yard wide free fire zone to put them in. Then offer a lottery to all those guys that show up at those rally's like the one in Charlottesville. $50, for a week in the deerstand. Gotta bring your own Budweiser, 'scuse me, America, gun, ammo and beef jerky. No limit.
    Government makes $$. Deerstand makers make $$. Border gets Freedomized and Libertyated. CPB are left to hassle America citizens.
    I can't believe I beat Bannon to this.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Everett, WA
    Posts
    25,243

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    " Shining city on the hill ", hah!

    When some one rational gets in it will cost us $$ to tear that junk down.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

    Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    21,336

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    No mine field, I was being sarcastic but, I wouldn't be surprised if Trump didn't put one in.
    You see?! It's gotten so crazy that crazy now sounds possible. For instance:

    Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    This is all so, so silly and wasteful. What you need is deerstands. Lot of em. Every 1/2 mile or so. And clear out a 200 yard wide free fire zone to put them in. Then offer a lottery to all those guys that show up at those rally's like the one in Charlottesville. $50, for a week in the deerstand. Gotta bring your own Budweiser, 'scuse me, America, gun, ammo and beef jerky. No limit.
    Government makes $$. Deerstand makers make $$. Border gets Freedomized and Libertyated. CPB are left to hassle America citizens.
    I can't believe I beat Bannon to this.
    Does anyone think there would be too few people who would take up the offer? I can see it now.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    8,535

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    " Shining city on the hill ", hah!

    When some one rational gets in it will cost us $$ to tear that junk down.
    Whadya mean when? That's a big friggin IF.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Duncan, Vancouver Island
    Posts
    26,660

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    I find venetian blinds more versatile for the sun.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    12,022

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    What have they decided to do about the majority of the wall that would be in the middle of the Rio Grande? Or have we decided to just give the river to Mexico?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ibeeria
    Posts
    2,423

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    The penultimate function of the Berlin Wall was a blank canvas for some meaningful graffiti..the final use was a source of tourist trinkets, and a focus for political activity... maybe bring on the Trump Wall and let the Mexicano entrepreneurs laugh all the way to the cartel at the Yanqui dimwits . If the Mexicans seriously do have to pay for the Wall, just think of the contractors and sub contractors and independentes and self-employeds all making a packet and spending it on better ways to get into the Disunited States ... or, they make a packet and stay at home and the Tramp wins....
    When you come to a fork in the road , take it.


    Smarter than the average bear, Booboo

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    3,678

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    I say go green!

    Good hedges make good neighbors!

    Skip

    ---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Duncan, Vancouver Island
    Posts
    26,660

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    Or something thorny like blackberries. Trump could hire unemployed coal miners to pick the berries in the fall.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    BC Coast
    Posts
    3,434

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    Just put the wall around the White House. I'm pretty sure Mexico would pay for it.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    20,997

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    Quote Originally Posted by gilberj View Post
    Just put the wall around the White House. I'm pretty sure Mexico would pay for it.
    I'll chip in!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    3,678

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    Let's do a go-fund-me!
    Skip

    ---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    20,997

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    Let's do a go-fund-me!
    In this case, wouldn't a kickinthepantsstarter be more appropriate?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    44,833

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    Quote Originally Posted by gilberj View Post
    Just put the wall around the White House. I'm pretty sure Mexico would pay for it.
    It's already been done in Australia, nervous nellie politicians. OTOH from another perspective they have built themselves a prison…..


  27. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rockford, IL
    Posts
    8,468

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    Idea for a TV ad featuring new pickup trucks: Have them bash into the Wall samples. The truck paying for the ad will knock its sample over like a domino.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Shore, Massachusetts
    Posts
    6,772

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    It's already been done in Australia, nervous nellie politicians. OTOH from another perspective they have built themselves a prison…..

    sorry to burst your bubble... but Australia has been a "prison" from the very start of European settlement.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Shore, Massachusetts
    Posts
    6,772

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    Idea for a TV ad featuring new pickup trucks: Have them bash into the Wall samples. The truck paying for the ad will knock its sample over like a domino.
    hmmm I'm afraid your right, those test walls look way too thin! we need something far more substantial that will take the coyotes longer to drill through.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,868

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    No need for the next sane president to take it down, all of that vertical south facing surface will make a fantastic support system for solar collectors on the south face and small windmills on the upper edge. Or since the south side will be Mexico's side, they can do it. Support for the biggest solar array on the planet, compliments of the US taxpayer. Such benevolence

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    3,678

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    hmmm I'm afraid your right, those test walls look way too thin! we need something far more substantial that will take the coyotes longer to drill through.



    Skip

    ---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    20,997

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    sorry to burst your bubble... but Australia has been a "prison" from the very start of European settlement.
    Now THAT was completely unnecessary. Besides - plenty of people were transported here for crimes - so your high horse is more like a worm.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Shore, Massachusetts
    Posts
    6,772

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Now THAT was completely unnecessary. Besides - plenty of people were transported here for crimes - so your high horse is more like a worm.
    Australia got it's start as a penal colony.

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Shore, Massachusetts
    Posts
    6,772

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    No need for the next sane president to take it down, all of that vertical south facing surface will make a fantastic support system for solar collectors on the south face and small windmills on the upper edge. Or since the south side will be Mexico's side, they can do it. Support for the biggest solar array on the planet, compliments of the US taxpayer. Such benevolence
    actually it's only right that Mexico get the use of the solar panels ... as they will be paying for the wall.

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    23,545

    Default Re: Big, beautiful border wall nears reality

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    sorry to burst your bubble... but Australia has been a "prison" from the very start of European settlement.
    Daniel you never cease to amaze, just when I think you have plumbed the depths of inanity you find a new depth.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

    John Welsford

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •