Thread: seeking a READS Sail Maker Sewing Machine UK

Default seeking a READS Sail Maker Sewing Machine UK

Hi I am looking for such a machine for some serious sewing projects, if anyone has one that they want to part with you would make me very happy, it would get well used and maintained,
    Many thanks

Default Re: seeking a READS Sail Maker Sewing Machine UK

The Reads are indeed great machines for what they are and particularly valuable to long distance cruisers who can carry them aboard and, if necessary, even operate them manually if no power is available. There should be more of them available in Britain than in the US, as they were sold by Reads, a British company. (I have one and, as the saying goes, "You'd have to pry it out of my cold, dead, hands!)

The Reads Sailmaker was a modified Japanese built machine. An American company, Sailrite, offers a replacement for the Reads, also made "offshore" somewhere. It appears to be pretty much the same quality and utility. These will sometimes be found second-hand, as well.

If you aren't in need of the portability of a Reads Sailmaker or the Sailrite offerings, a good professional level industrial sewing machine can often be had for far less than a new Sailmaker or Sailrite machine. If you intend to do any serious sailmaking or canvas work, I'd caution that the Reads or Sailrite machines are fine for small work and repairs, but not so much for serious professional level sailmaking and canvas work, not only because of their power, but particularly because of their limited throat depth and foot tension.

See: http://www.sailrite.com/Sewing-Machines

I'm sure that our resident professional sailmaker can offer more specific advice on the professional machines.

Miles, there was,might still be, a sewing machine shop in Cherry Orchard Road, East Croydon. He converted a Jones industrial machine to zig-zag for me, many moons ago. If the buisness is still going, worth chasing him up, proper client service, if he cant help you, he may know someone who can.

Thanks Skaraborgcraft,
    if I cannot find a READS i will have someone do an upgrade to a similar machine, I used an old Brother (very similar to Jones) , just recently and was very impressed,
    many thanks Miles

thanks Bob Cleek,
    yes I am not going make whole sails with it, I do a mobile community project getting people to remake and decorate unwanted clothes, we had 2 machines going with a queue of people , one of them was really struggling, and the user was blaming herself terrribly , , , which has led me to seek more power.... and myself I love to use a large wheel for doing intricate work,
    many thanks Miles

I have used a Pfaff ClassicStyle 1525 for boat canvas work, has a walking foot and chews through many layers (eg rolled seams) no problem. No longer made but you can find secondhand for about 200. I believe the mechanism is same as some sailmaking machines, just has a shorter arm.

(Tried PMing you) If this is a community project I have a machine which might suit, FOC. It’s a Singer so-called Heavy Duty model. When new it jammed on first use and I got it repaired locally as that was much easier than a warranty job, but I lost confidence in it and it’s not been used since. That said, there are videos online of it chewing through 12 layers of denim or something. I hesitate to ask money for it, so it’s free to a worthy home, and I’m sure it’ll do what you would need of it. I have now re-bought s/h the Pfaff model I foolishly parted with a few years ago. I am in SE23...you can reach me directly through my website lodestarbooks.com — Dick

Thanks Dick Wynne.
    I have PM d you and emailed you at lodestar
    Miles