Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone dabble in watercolour ?

Default Does anyone dabble in watercolour ?

I know the chap who posts as Falcon does .... but his work is well beyond the dabbling stage.

I attended a class a few years ago and did a few things I liked ...... then work and life took over and I didn't make the time until recently. I've just started again.

Does anyone else play ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Default Re: Does anyone dabble in watercolour ?

You'd have to put a couple up here to get this thread going.

One I did a few years ago.....Brunswick Heads.jpg

Brunswick Heads boat harbour .
    Grateful Dead

I dabbled years ago, only when the mood took. I have had moments when i have considered getting back to it, but it takes a lot to get me inspired these days. I found pencils were more conducive to spur of the moment dabbles.

OK Phil.First attempt.jpg From my first attempts years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grateful Dead

I really can't work out Scot's new image posting software !
    Grateful Dead

Started with my grandmother in the country, she was quite a good painter. Did fine art at the same time as my apprenticeship. But I have not painted for years.

See if you remember how Jeff, it's quite fun. I've forgotten most of what I knew and am having to relearn .The results can be embarrassing !Attempt 2.jpg
    Grateful Dead

Oh I've had a bit of a go on occasion, and I have some very old and very good brushes. But I don't have the time.
    Seems I'm taking on an early wooden International Cadet as a restoration project soon.

First attempts and dabbling? Wow. If I tried that, it would look like something one step removed from the book "When Cats Paint".
    Not dissimilar to my efforts at learning to play the violin, aka When Cats Howl
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Those are very good, Peter, it seems as though you have missed your calling, you are quite talented. Very pleasing to the eye.
    Steve Martinsen

Last edited by Chris Coose; 10-20-2017 at 08:33 AM.
    Study Peace

Study Peace

Very nice Peter.

My partner Ken paints a bit is watercolor, I'll see if I can find some to post this weekend.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Coose takes a Blue Ribbon!

Dang-it I can't see Coose's posts, I'll need to wait until this evening on my other machine.

The browser I have at work is quite limiting.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

I'm currently working out a copy of Winslow Homer's, "After the Hurricane" on a half sheet.
    It is a cruel exercise in many ways to see how far off I am from real composition in watercolor. But man o man there is a lot to be learned from it.
    This is a little Picasso I copied a couple years ago.

Study Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Coose View Post

I still think that's one of the best watercolors I've seen. The precision and control of a medium that wants to run and bleed amazes me.

Great work, guys!

Really nice stuff guys! I tried watercolor, but I was terrible at it. I just always seemed to make mud. The concept that the white and the illumination is already there and what the artist needs to do is to preserve it throughout the process is quite interesting (and from what I could tell, pretty difficult). I don't think I ever got to the point where I could think that far ahead. My dad was a world class watercolor and water media painter but unfortunately that gene never passed down to me. His hand/eye/brush coordination was absolutely unreal. I went to college as a sculpture major instead. Clay, bronze and resin I understand. White space on paper, not so much. In later years, he did a lot of judging for national watercolor shows and the preliminary selections were usually done with slides. Then he would travel to the venue to pick the actual show and prize winners. I sometimes got to sit in for the preliminary slide show. There was always a certain amount of unfortunate stuff, but there are an awful lot of people out there doing really nice and interesting work. He was a very kind person, but it really would have been pretty intimidating to show him something that I painted when you are talking about someone who could paint these.

Floral Studies - painted on site out in a garden

Three of the forty four 5" x 11" watercolors from his "Keweenaw Series"

All spectacular.
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

Chris !!! I'm amazed, beautiful work!
    Last edited by PeterSibley; 10-20-2017 at 05:09 PM.
    Grateful Dead

It's one of those talents I can only admire, not even try to emulate. Great work!

Last edited by PeterSibley; 10-20-2017 at 06:39 PM.
    Grateful Dead

Peter I've been watching your progression on Facebook and I've been meaning to comments I'm thoroughly impressed. Fine job.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Todd mentions the importance of saving out the unpainted areas. With watercolor you work from light to dark, unlike oils or acrylic, adding washes and highlights. The good news in that is you can see the underlying pencil drawing through the whole thing. It can become an intense paint by numbers thing as you go along, keeping a free hand while maintaining some semblance of the subject. A Virgo's dream and nightmare all at the same time.
    Peter works it much looser than I can.

Study Peace

Wow!!! You guys are good! I have always liked watercolor as a medium and always thought I would love to learn to paint, but it has always just seemed too daunting to even pick up a brush.

Grateful Dead

These are all lovely.. Thanks!

I really like your work Peter, I've always loved water colour paintings that have suggestion in the brushwork, where the viewer fills in the gaps. Dry brush etc; for me that way is poetry.

Todd, what was your father's name? I'd like to see more of his work, amazing.

My grandfather was a good landscape watercolour painter, I'll dig some out and post them soon.

Peter, used to do this many years ago, couple of things that may be of use, please ignore if you are already doing these things. Sketch the painting in a harder pencil, H or F maybe. This will help with human created things, buildings, etc, and perspective. Another was the brush on latex for blocking out white areas, rubs off easily. I'm impressed with your use of colour!
    the invisible man........

The colour above is pastel, bright and easy. I have a lot to learn about handling watercolour as a medium!
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    I would love to learn to paint, but it has always just seemed too daunting to even pick up a brush.
    Start with a pencil, a basic book on technique, $50.00 worth of gear from a decent art supply store, a subject that you may have an emotional attachment to and know that the beginner's mind is looking for a good time.
    Study Peace

and Youtube, there are dozens of instructional videos.
    Grateful Dead

and if you get really ballsy go join a class.
    Study Peace

Lupussonic, my dad was Glenn. R. Bradshaw. I have files on Photobucket with over 300 paintings (those we found in his studio after he passed away in 2013) but as we are all aware, Photobucket is now worthless and last time I tried, I couldn't even get into my own folders there. There is not a lot about him on the web.

Unlike the flower studies and a lot of his early work, most of his later painting was actually casein paint, which is a different type of watercolor. Casein comes in tubes, and thins with water from opaque to transparent shades, depending on how much you dilute it. Unlike "normal" watercolors, it dries waterproof and also comes in white and other light shades. He painted mostly on Japanese rice paper in later years and could build up layer upon layer of color, painting from both sides of the thin translucent paper. It could also be used out of the tube on prepared hardboard, similar to oil paint. There aren't a lot of casein painters left these days, but he was generally acknowledged as one of the best. He taught for about 30 years as a professor of art at the University of Illinois and was the head or the undergraduate painting program.

This is casein when heavily diluted and painted on rice paper.

....and this is casein right out of the tube. This one was painted on Masonite with a palette knife, rather than brushes, then varnished with ethereal varnish and waxed with a beeswax/turpentine mixture. I ended up framing 53 paintings in two months for a show last year. I never wanted to be an art dealer/framer/caretaker/ etc. but being the "art kid" in the family, I now get to do all that stuff.

This is my all-time favorite of his casein on rice paper watercolors - and an interesting story. It's six feet long had appeared in American Artist Magazine in an article about his work. It was later shipped to a workshop he was teaching. When shipped back home in a mailing tube, it was mis-delivered to a fishing rod manufacturer. The guy in receiving cut open the paper roll to see what was inside it - only the paper roll was empty and it was the painting! It ended up with about ten, vertical, foot-long cuts spaced along its bottom. Dad tried patching them, but the patches were lumpy and he was ready to tear it up when I finally talked him out of it to try to fix it. His instructions were to fix it with no over-painting, or to destroy it. I bought two sheets of birch plywood and soaked it with a spray bottle and pressed it between the ply sheets to dry. When wet, the paper is really flimsy, so it had to be done really carefully. After about four soakings, it was finally flat again and ready to frame. I had to use an empty boat trailer to go get a sheet of Plexiglas big enough to frame it and hung it on our living room wall. If I tell someone where to look for the cuts they can probably find most of them, but otherwise, they would never notice them. That "trail" across the painting is all little tiny circular bubbles, and there must be a thousand of them. I can't imagine how long this took to paint and it would have been a real shame to lose it. Casein is good stuff, currently made by Shiva and worth playing with if you're into watercolor.