Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to fix up the old green boat

Default Time to fix up the old green boat

I've mentioned this boat in the past: a 14' Sam Devlin designed Cackler garvey that I built 20 years ago. Designed as a duck hunting sled, I rearranged the interior for family fishing. My kids were young back then and it made the perfect stable platform for family use. Knowing it would get hard use, I gave it a workboat finish and didn't mess with any fancy woodwork. Latex house paint and no varnish! It's painted green and, never having a formal name, is simply referred to now as the old green boat. Lots of sentimental family memories in this old barge.

It was getting a little scruffy looking, so I decided that fixing her up would be a good winter project. One thing lacking was watertight lockers to store gear. Plus, the transom needs some beefing up.
    Construction was 1/2" marine ply stitch and glue covered on the exterior with glass/epoxy and epoxy coated on the interior. The glass on the decks is cracked in places and needs some attention. Glass on the bottom is still solid after all these years. Plus, I'll tweak a few other things just to spiff her up.

First project was to build a cradle.

IMG_3796.jpg

Next was to back the trailer and boat into the garage and hoist the boat up in the air on straps. Here she is doing her anti-gravity imitation.

IMG_3801.jpg

Now, back to earth on the cradle and ready for work.
    IMG_3803.jpg
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Default Re: Time to fix up the old green boat

Rich, that shop WAS looking a bit too clean and empty ..... (just saying )

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    Rich, that shop WAS looking a bit too clean and empty ..... (just saying )

Rick
    Yeah, all that empty space was just screaming for a project.

I'm having hernia surgery next month, so the plan was to great the boat in the shop and get everything ready for when I'm healed up. I've all sorts of other things to do also; bring in the firewood, stack a couple of tons of wood pellets in the garage and take care of other pre-winter chores around the house. Of course, with a hernia, these chores have to be done slow and easy, a little bit each day.
    Tried to tell the wife that she's got to handle the snowblower this winter, but she ain't buying it...

The boat was designed and built with a motor well. After using it for a while, I felt the sponsons where digging into the water and throwing a bigger wake then if it had a regular transom. Plus, with the motor hanging further aft, I'd have a little more interior room in that the aft seat would be further back. In the end, performance remained unchanged, but I did get that little bit of extra room.
    I dug out the plans and traced over the faded lines to show the original stern.
    IMG_3822.jpg

Here's how I altered it around 15 years ago and exposing what's left of the original motor well.

IMG_1083.jpgIMG_3826.jpg

Seeing that this is a work-boat type vessel, I feel comfortable just taking a sawzall to the structure. Out with the old!

IMG_3835.jpg

I'm three weeks into my four week exile from my shop as a result of the hernia surgery. Next week, I can go back to lifting within reason.
    But, I felt that cutting and gluing the new inner transom was light enough work, so I've been doing that yesterday and today. Here it is epoxied into place, clamped and held with temporary screws.
    Tomorrow or Friday, I'll do the fillets and glass tape the corners.

IMG_3846.jpg

Nice work Rich, go easy though. Hard to do when you have a fun project and you start feeling pretty good. What size motor do you put o her?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldad View Post
    Nice work Rich, go easy though. Hard to do when you have a fun project and you start feeling pretty good. What size motor do you put o her?
    15 hp 4-stroke Merc. Not nearly enough. I was mislead by the salesman 17 years ago when I bought it. I should have gone with a 25 hp. I now think the guy was overstocked with 15 hp motors and wanted to get rid of them.
    It gets the boat up on plane with just me and my wife in the boat and does about 17 mph. Add anymore passengers and it just plows through the water like an old tugboat.

Looking good. That'll be a great winter project.

Poking around the old transom, I came across a couple of small delamination/rot spots. Water intruded somewhere over the years.
    I patched them up, but it just reinvigorates my search for a replacement design.

Here are the aft seats/lockers going together. Fir marine ply which will be coated with epoxy. Hatch and top of locker will be covered with glass. And yes, I did remember to put drain holes in case of water getting in there.
    The boat was originally built "rough" since it was to be beaten up as a family fishing boat. I'm continuing in that vein, not driving myself nuts with perfection.

IMG_3849.jpg

Looking good Rich.

Thanks for sharing, Rich.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

The aft lockers/seats are complete other then paint and hinges.
    IMG_3864.jpg

Here you see the ledge I put around the opening to keep water out.

Below are the finished lockers/seats.

IMG_3865.jpgIMG_3866.jpg

The dark colored wood is leftover Khaya from my Palmer launch.

Now, we're off to the other end of the boat. Time to rebuild the front locker/seat.
    IMG_3863.jpg
    This is how it's been for the past 20 years. It was simply covered with two pieces of marine ply that just sat in place. It worked, but was far from watertight!
    And now, with the new hatch framing in place.
    IMG_3867.jpg

Some might ask, "You big dummy, why didn't you do this when you first built the boat?"
    Simple answer: I was short on time. Back in 1997, I was working 12 hours a day, plus Saturdays. I was also pretty much single-handedly building my vacation home in Vermont while maintaining the home I had on Long Island, N.Y. Not a whole lot of time to devote to boat building. If I wanted to take the kids fishing while they were still kids, a quick and dirty build was necessary.
    But, the time to spruce this old girl up has arrived, so she's getting a refit. I wouldn't bother if my wife didn't like this boat so much. I was going to retire the boat, but the good wife wanted nothing of that. So, the old green boat lives on.

Lockers and hatches are done. I just finished installing the floors. No floors were specified in the design, just a note for "optional floorboards" with no instruction, so for the past twenty years, there's just been a piece of plywood sitting in the bottom of the boat. It held up well, but I thought I'd do it right this time. Floors are pressure treated wood and floorboard will be 1/2"AC exterior ply. Should I stain it along with twenty coats of varnish? Just kidding. It'll get porch paint.
    IMG_3873.jpg

Next up is filling in those missing side deck carlins aft. Also patching up some cracked fiberglass at the point the side deck meets the front deck.

We never named this boat, always just calling it the "green boat". Now, my wife thinks a name is proper. Seeing that it was originally designed as a duck hunting boat and that it is a bit homely, we've decided to name it UGLY DUCKLING.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Next up is filling in those missing side deck carlins aft. Also patching up some cracked fiberglass at the point the side deck meets the front deck.

We never named this boat, always just calling it the "green boat". Now, my wife thinks a name is proper. Seeing that it was originally designed as a duck hunting boat and that it is a bit homely, we've decided to name it UGLY DUCKLING.
    Dude,
    You do remember the Ugly Duckling turns out to be BEAUTIFUL, right?

I love this thread, by the by.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Dude,
    You do remember the Ugly Duckling turns out to be BEAUTIFUL, right?

I love this thread, by the by.

Peace,
    Robert
    This UGLY DUCKLING always becomes beautiful every time my dear wife climbs aboard!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    This UGLY DUCKLING always becomes beautiful every time my dear wife climbs aboard!
    Clearly you expect your wife to read this thread!
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.

A quacker-jack job!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    A quacker-jack job!

Kevin
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Floorboards are in. There is a small removable piece in the stern to access the garboard drain plug. Also came up with a way to store my fishing poles under the side decks so I can leave them onboard during rainy days. Fly pole to port, casting pole to starboard. Or the other way around. Such decisions...
    Also, since the queen holds court in the bow seat while I'm fishing, I added a flip-up seatback for her majesty to lean against. Hopefully this will gain her favor and she won't have me beheaded when I next want to build another boat.

IMG_3876.jpgIMG_3877.jpgIMG_3878.jpg

Love those lockers!

It's a bit late, Rich, but this AM I read an article in the Small Boats annual about the Tango 13 http://www.tangoskiff.com

it's got some little fins/tanks one on each side of the prop that add buoyancy aft and WL length. Seems like a cool idea, if you're looking for more of a project!

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon1 View Post
    Love those lockers!

It's a bit late, Rich, but this AM I read an article in the Small Boats annual about the Tango 13 http://www.tangoskiff.com

it's got some little fins/tanks one on each side of the prop that add buoyancy aft and WL length. Seems like a cool idea, if you're looking for more of a project!

Mike
    If you look at post #4, you'll see that the boat was originally designed and build with similar sponsons. I found that they seemed to create turbulence and a big wake. I rebuilt the aft of the boat years ago with a traditional transom, but found no real increase in performance. Next summer, I'll be noodling around with wood trim tabs glued to the bottom in hopes of attaining more planning ability. What I really need is a 25 hp engine instead of the 15hp I've got, but that ain't gonna happen. Too much $$$$.

Floorboards are primed and painted. New drain plug epoxied into the bottom. I left the old one, located a bit forward, in place.
    IMG_3882.jpg

The plastic gas tank will be located amidships at the end of the starboard locker. I'll be running the gas line thru this locker rather then have it out in the open, getting in the way. To protect it inside the locker, I bought this PVC electrical conduit. It has to make one 90 degree bend and the electrical conduit has a nice gentle curve, making threading the gas line through it easier and safer.

IMG_3883.jpg

The Queen's barge is coming along slowly as I deal with life in general and the Queen's demands that I attend to other things around the palace. Last week, she bought a new couch for the living room and decreed that the wall behind the couch be painted an "accent" color.
    But, being the ever faithful servant, I bow to her every wish and whim.

A seat idea.

And maybe the Lady wants a rudder with some lines so she can steer while you row...

^ The Queen help to steer? Oh...no...no.. no.. that shan't ever be. Her Majesty Queen MyWife daintily steps onboard and enjoys the voyage while I attend to all the seamanship. I love Her Majesty dearly, but she is not the nautical type. Just her presence in the boat is satisfaction enough for me.

I just got a cavity reading your post....

Hey, Rich. Nice, as always. Consider lining those rod racks with some split tubing or hose where the fishing rods bear against them.

Kevin

Best thread in AGES. I think your Duckling is great, and besides, the fish don't care, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    Best thread in AGES. I think your Duckling is great, and besides, the fish don't care, right?
    Thanks. The fish love me, mainly because I'm a lousy fisherman, but also because I throw back the ones stupid enough to bite my hook. Never acquired a taste for fish. I do enjoy the hunt, though.

I've never seen a Devlin Cackler, so I checked it out on Sams website. Cool boat, but yeah, I can see how the stern might dig at speed. I bet she'll go better with a continuous bottom. It's a cool boat...not my thing, but still a cool boat.

I put in new coaming pieces aft and now the woodwork is mostly done. What remains is to fix a bilge runner on the bottom and glue on wooden trim tabs. Then sand the hull and paint. The little block of wood you see on the port side of the transom is to attach the trolling motor (in case you were curious).
    I primed the interior and put on the first coat of finish paint. Not quite as bad as painting a picket fence, but close! Tomorrow will see the second coat go on.

IMG_3922.jpg