Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass shooting of the day!

Default Re: Mass shooting of the day!

21:14 Confirmed: Shooter in custody

Broward Sheriff‏Verified account @browardsheriff

Shooter is now in custody. Scene is still active. #stonemanshooting

1:11 pm - 14 Feb 2018

It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Adams View Post
    Media sure is doing their part to inspire the next bastard......saturation coverage on all the over-the-air stations.
    Better to close our eyes and ears and pretend it isn't happening?
    Tom

Media sure is doing their part to inspire the next bastard......saturation coverage on all the over-the-air stations.
    Are you suggesting that the media is to blame in any way for the ongoing mass shootings in this country?

TV news is reporting 14 wounded, "numerous" fatalities (up to 7 dead), and shooter in custody. No report on the age of the shooter.

The high school I visited a few months ago would be fundamentally impossible to secure. It is multiple smaller buildings instead of the big industrial building we so often see in big cities.

Oh, yes, Thoughts and Prayers...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike V. View Post
    Are you suggesting that the media is to blame in any way for the ongoing mass shootings in this country?
    Yup. In my opinion the reason the shootings are increasing is copycatting due to the fame the shooter knows he/she will generate. Report it and move on.
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

Now reporting the shooter is a former student.

Time for Remington (about to declare bankruptcy) to go back to manufacturing their renowned revolvers. (Colt wasn't the only brand out there.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Adams
    Yup. In my opinion the reason the shootings are increasing is copycatting due to the fame the shooter knows he/she will generate. Report it and move on.
    So the U.S.A. is increasingly full of sick people who would copycat a horrendous crime? And that is somehow the fault of those who report the news?

Why is the U.S.A. increasingly full of sick people?
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Truth is not the truth.
    Crimes are not crimes.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

Not the availability of auto-loading fire arms. hhhhmmmm Very interesting.

Strange, I believe the kids in Canada get the news too! Are they next to start shooting up schools?
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

The OTHER mass shooting of the day was a Florida High School. NUMBERS, my friends, we need to start numbering these events.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    The OTHER mass shooting of the day was a Florida High School. NUMBERS, my friends, we need to start numbering these events.
    Numbering them? We need to start scoring them if they are going to replace baseball as the national pastime!

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    Not the availability of auto-loading fire arms. hhhhmmmm Very interesting.

Strange, I believe the kids in Canada get the news too! Are they next to start shooting up schools?
    There have been occasional school shootings going back to the 1800s. There have been auto loading weapons since around 1900. The spool up began a few decades ago. Report the incident and move on. If I had my way the name of the shooter would never be publicized. As for this one, the last 3 hours has been nonstop "coverage". By coverage I mean repeating the same video clips and speculating. I'd really like to see the local news but can't as it has been pre-empted by this. I'm not saying this is the only reason, but it is certainly a contributing factor.

Mahatma Gandhi

no doubt, and politicians will pay off awkward dalliances for $130k more often because of the coverage on the POTUS. Darn media.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    So the U.S.A. is increasingly full of sick people who would copycat a horrendous crime? And that is somehow the fault of those who report the news?

Why is the U.S.A. increasingly full of sick people?
    not enough Jesus

I have heard, but cannot confirm, that this may be the 21st school shooting of the year?

*Edit ABC news reports 18 so far this year
    Last edited by Art Haberland; 02-14-2018 at 06:27 PM.

Reporting a lot of speculation and showing the same videos over and over and over.

Can't help but think we were 'this' close to a good time to talk about gun control, but after this shooting, it will be another bad time.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Well, I think media coverage has zero influence on the number of mass shooters but, of course, that is just my opinion.

There have been occasional school shootings going back to the 1800s. There have been auto loading weapons since around 1900. The spool up began a few decades ago. Report the incident and move on. If I had my way the name of the shooter would never be publicized. As for this one, the last 3 hours has been nonstop "coverage". By coverage I mean repeating the same video clips and speculating. I'd really like to see the local news but can't as it has been pre-empted by this. I'm not saying this is the only reason, but it is certainly a contributing factor.
    Since 2013, there have been 291 reported school shootings in America, which averages out to about one per week.
    "Thoughts and prayers".
    Or maybe this will get traction.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

There have been occasional school shootings going back to the 1800s.
    Interesting. How widely were these tragedies reported?

How many people were killed in these 1800s shootings? Was the number of dead and wounded as high as it is with modern weapons?

How many of the bad guys then were stopped by guns?

It's interesting, though, that there were school shootings then. It indicates that even in "the good old days" there were major issues, which must indicate that the claims that progressive society causes these tragedies are dubious.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post

How many people were killed in these 1800s shootings? Was the number of dead and wounded as high as it is with modern weapons?

It's interesting, though, that there were school shootings then. It indicates that even in "the good old days" there were major issues, which must indicate that the claims that progressive society causes these tragedies are dubious.
    I'm sure it was the pharmaceutical industry back then too.
    Tom

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School..._United_States

Mahatma Gandhi

17 dead reported by Sheriff .
    Skip

Sick doesn't even begin to be an adequate description.
    Your schools have become dangerous places to work or study.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Sick doesn't even begin to be an adequate description.
    Your schools have become dangerous places to work or study.
    worse than post offices
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Okay, thanks.

From a quick look at the outlines of the incidents, there were many students in earlier eras who were quite happy to shoot teachers for disciplining them or marking them down.

It also looks as if before modern weapons were available, far fewer people died in each school shooting - even when the gunman was insane or came to school armed and with intent.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Okay, thanks.

From a quick look at the outlines of the incidents, there were many students in earlier eras who were quite happy to shoot teachers for disciplining them or marking them down.

It also looks as if before modern weapons were available, far fewer people died in each school shooting - even when the gunman was insane or came to school armed and with intent.
    Fantastic insight into the obvious, of course fewer people died armed with a flintlock!

Okay, thanks.

What bothers me is the uptick since Columbine. There have been no significant changes in weaponry since then.

Mahatma Gandhi

What bothers me is the uptick since Columbine. There have been no significant changes in weaponry since then.
    Except that you can now buy a 'ghost gun' on the Internet... perfectly legal. It's a gun kit which lacks only the lower receiver... which can be fabricated by the buyer (instructions are supplied). Handguns and 'assault-style' rifles are included. They don't need no stinkin' background check.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

The media has to over report it today because it will be old news tomorrow.
    I see on my local town talk Facebook page Right wingers going nuts being angry at the media!! Not the NRA or Big Pharma... so I recon Hannity must have spun them up about the media today.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

The name of the school kept tickling my mind, so I called my former neighbour in Philadelphia... sure enough, his granddaughter is a junior at MSD High School.... safe in a closet for three hours but scared outta her undies and her fone went flat on her.

Suuuuure, we have to "do something about the state of mental health care" in this country... not the availability of auto and semi-automatic weapons, not extra-capacity magazines, not teflon-coat rounds, let's all concentrate on the shooters, not WHAT they're shooting. As far as I'm concerned, the "mental health issues" all concern politicians and those who maintain the 2nd amendment isn't archaic in today's world.

There have been occasional school shootings going back to the 1800s. There have been auto loading weapons since around 1900. The spool up began a few decades ago.
    What else "spooled up" a few decades ago? Perhaps the marketing of these GI Joe cool black rifles. Home defense! Home defense! There's boogiemen gonna getcha.
    A few decades ago, the NRA stopped being an association of shooting and hunting enthusiasts , and became the marketing arm of the firearms industry.
    A few decades ago, the VN war ended taking all those arms contracts with it.
    IMMIGRANTS BUILT AMERICA - IMMIGRANTS BUILD AMERICA

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    Nice way to present it, with the hammer pulled back

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    What else "spooled up" a few decades ago? Perhaps the marketing of these GI Joe cool black rifles. Home defense! Home defense! There's boogiemen gonna getcha.
    A few decades ago, the NRA stopped being an association of shooting and hunting enthusiasts , and became the marketing arm of the firearms industry.
    A few decades ago, the VN war ended taking all those arms contracts with it.
    Bingo.

I see where Marco Rubio has spoken to the superintendent about this "day you pray never comes". That would be the same Marco Rubio who's taken $3.3 MILLION DOLLARS from the NRA... Yo, Marco! Stuff your prayers, they're not working. Try gun control instead.

What are you doing about it?