Thread: Another trailer suggestion needed.

Default Another trailer suggestion needed.

My Harry Bryan Rambler 23' is just about done, so I'm needing a trailer. She weighs in at 1800#, 6.5' beam. Inboard with a skeg. I'd really prefer a single axle trailer to keep the weight down and to keep it softly sprung. it not already equipped I'll be adding surge brakes as I did on Catnappers trailer.
    Most of the 23' trailers I'm finding are tandem axle.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Default Re: Another trailer suggestion needed.

Maybe rethink the single axle.

My Mako was on a single axle when I bought it, but I knew I was going to be doing some long-ish highway miles so put it on a tandem. That thing was SO much better-behaved on the tandem. Rock-steady.
    I understand your desire to keep it softly sprung, but the rocker-action of the tandem takes the impacts differently, two little bumps instead of one big one.

Are you shopping new or used? I would think that the Rambler would want the axles farther forward than the typical big-outboard powered 23 footer.
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

I think you're right that the boat is a bit long and a bit heavy for one axel.

While you're at it, you might get a trailer with a meaningful wheel on the tongue jack. That will allow you to keep the tow vehicle up on the horizontal and let the trailer down the ramp on a rope, hitch the rope to your hitch, load the boat, and pull her up the ramp with the tow vehicle staying on good traction.

Avoid this.

If you have the proper axle available, you can convert a dual axle to single axle fairly easily. You'll need new fenders, of course.
    And the solution is seldom "just take one off".

If you hit CL for 'boat trailer' there will be some pop up.
    Quite a few here in central Ohio, including this one:
    https://columbus.craigslist.org/boa/...330477866.html

There's also a nice aluminum dual axle if you need saltwater capability.

If the single axle thing is also for off-hook maneuverability to squeeze into off-season storage, you can always just remove two tires for the duration of the repositioning (assuming it's also off-highway). The benefits of dual axle for trailering stability become liabilities when you're pushing it by hand around the driveway into the garage.

In Ohio, trailers outlive their cargo, so there always seems to be 'enough' available, at pretty cheap prices. Most will require the usual attention, though.

Chip

Call Eddie at Eddie English Boat Trailer, he has built 2 trailers for us and repaired several others. He'll have some ideas for you. He built this one with a drop frame so we can launch just about anywhere. Rides smooth as butter.

(850) 623-4353

I was in a similar situation, 23 feet, 8-foot beam, 2500 pounds. It seems most local trailers for 23-foot boats are dual axle with brakes for heavier boats. Could not find a used trailer but lucked out and found a new King trailer at a local dealer. Barely fits a 23-foot boat. It has 4100 pound capacity, single axle, no brakes - just what I wanted. Got a sweet deal because it had been sitting in the dealer's yard for two years because, who ever heard of a 23-foot boat at 2500 pounds?....Me.

Or break out your welder and build exactly what you need ..
    Trailer 4.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I'll second Figment's observation that tandem axles ride smoother even if the springs might be stiffer. But I haven't found the tandems to track any better, I think tracking is mostly about having adequate tongue weight and a tow vehicle that's sized right for the load.
    -Dave

Finding a lot of trailers for outboards, not many at all for inboards.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Finding a lot of trailers for outboards, not many at all for inboards.
    Mark, have you perhaps checked with a local welding shop to see what they might be able to do / source for you ?
    In my last location (MN), I was in a farming community, and the welding shop there did fantastic, creative work that
    I found to be affordable

Rick

Maybe find a single axel trailer for a slightly shorter boat and just extend the tongue. The extension could even be removable for off season storage. Wait. Is there an off season in the Low Country? Or removable for storage when the boat is in the water. Yea, that’s the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Maybe find a single axel trailer for a slightly shorter boat and just extend the tongue. The extension could even be removable for off season storage. Wait. Is there an off season in the Low Country? Or removable for storage when the boat is in the water. Yea, that’s the ticket.
    Its called August. That's when we will use that trailer and drag her up y'all's way for a couple weeks!

Reynard,
    Sealion has a nice Skiff Series line of trailers.

http://www.sealiontrailers.com/skiff.htm

I run a Tolman Skiff (2000lb) on a 5400 Lb tandem, with one set of wheels removed to derate the trailer. Tracks fine down the road and I have 3 spare tires. Wheels on the front axle for maneuvering, wheels on rear for long highway trips.

290.JPG

022.jpg
    Remain In Neutral And Move On To The Next Target

I have been checking CL every day for my Russel R build. Not nearly ready for a trailer yet, but would be nice to have one sitting in the yard and ready to go. The Russell R is a 22 footer and probably wont weigh over 1000 pounds. And that is part of the problem.