Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uffa Fox Fourteens...

Default Re: Uffa Fox Fourteens...

Nice story. And since the Norfolk Dinghy was one of the two parents of the National Fourteen, no drift at all..��
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    How does the Roller board behave in the event of a bottom strike?
    Good question. I shall enquire of the experts at the CVDRA.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    How does the Roller board behave in the event of a bottom strike?
    When I bought my 14, it came with 2 boards, the weighted board and one with no weight. I never used the weighted board, but I spent a lot of time sailing Thistles. On grounding, the weighted board would get pushed up, then the weight would hold it down against the bottom, quickly dragging the boat to a halt.
    Schooner captains love to get blown offshore!

Thanks.

Here is GALATEA’s unweighted centreboard, which does not differ much from the centreboard of my son’s International Canoe, built in 1992, except that it has nice bronze bits...

Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 10-21-2017 at 02:32 PM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

One of the four Morgan Giles Fourteens that were in the EISCA collection and which were rescued by Morgan Giles’ granddaughter, Jane Shaddick:

Single skin skin mahogany planking on CRE ribs, no built in buoyancy, note “proper”thwarts and oar crutch plates in gunwales.

This picture from the auction catalogue shows the massive centreplate which pre-dated the weighted wooden boards. Note also the bamboo lugsail spars in the boat:

the picture below is another 1910-1920 Morgan Giles:

Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 10-21-2017 at 02:37 PM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Auction catalogue picture of the very early Uffa Fox IMP, a contemporary of AVENGER herself, from 1928, showing AVENGER ‘s hull form:

The boat visible ahead of her is the Morgan Giles “CLOVER”, from 1930, iirc, showing how fast the old expert learned new tricks:

and another variant, this is CORONA and she shows Uffa’s “river type” hull form with less freeboard, and a more V shape aft, as she would not expect planing conditions so often, inland.

Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 10-22-2017 at 05:18 AM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Clover looks interesting. Did Giles just flatten the stern and keep the u-shaped midsection, or go full V-shaped?

CLOVER again; pictures from the NSBR database:

First picture is obviously old and shows the
    old style centreplate and the copper buoyancy tanks which British readers
    of my age will associate with RNSA Fourteens.

I’d say Morgan Giles went for fully V shaped forward sections.

His last win was iirc in CATHERINE in 1931 and involved using a spinnaker
    in windy conditions such that he capsized right after crossing the line, so for sure, he had mastered planing...

The conventional thwarts, slat side benches and external chain plates are all differences with Uffa Fox’s practice.
    Fox retained just a single, minimal, thwart to brace the case, using the side tank tops to distribute the loads, and put his bottle screws below the gunwales.

Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 10-22-2017 at 09:56 AM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Off topic but with regard to old style buoyancy tanks...

This shows two quite well known sailors having to be fished out of their capsized Flying Fifteen in 1962...

the clue is in the sail number... the Duke of Edinburgh and Uffa Fox taking an unplanned swim from COWESLIP ... even they didn’t always get it right...
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 10-22-2017 at 06:01 AM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

The infamous low boom - but not usually quite that low.
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Nice history you've got here. Thanks for taking the time to post it up. I wish someone would do this for the Flying Dutchman class.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

This is a nice detail. It looks for all the world like they sawed (split) a piece of round stock and formed it into this combination traveller and chafing gear. However it was done it is an elegant job.

IMG_3237.jpg

That way of arranging the mainsheet horse is found in the Morgan Giles dinghies, but whether he invented it, or whether it goes back to Pengelly, I cannot say. Certainly Uffa carried on with it and indeed carried it over into the Fairey Marine Firefly, Albacore, and others, where it continues to add a touch of distinction. They must have had some simple means of sawing the brass tube lengthways, accurately!

if I compare our Fourteen with our Firefly, the mainsheet horse is identical but the Firefly just has a shackle running on it. The Fourteen has this impressive but outside bit of engineering:

IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

More bits and pieces:

The mast gate:

And the mast jack; the idea is not to bend the mast, as we do now, but to take the rigging loads off the boat when she is ashore:

IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

GALATEA ‘s bow, looking from aft:

Not quite the same as LANCING from the year before; the painter ring bolt has gone, there is no builder’s plate and the forestry chainplate has been moved down the stem:

IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I have sawn (split) round bar in the bandsaw with a fence and simple fixture to keep it from rotating while sawing. This was for a stem band and some other reproduction bits on a museum boat that originally used half-round, which you could buy. But all that can be found today is half-oval and it just looks wrong in some applications.

“Funny you should say that”... GALATEA’s keelband and stem bands are indeed half round apart from one short length of half oval to the port side of the centre case slot which has been replaced at some time with half oval. It isn’t nearly as nice.

Furthermore I think the half round is bronze, not brass..

So they did it all in the bandsaw. Thanks.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    “Funny you should say that”... GALATEA’s keelband and stem bands are indeed half round apart from one short length of half oval to the port side of the centre case slot which has been replaced at some time with half oval. It isn’t nearly as nice.

Furthermore I think the half round is bronze, not brass..

So they did it all in the bandsaw. Thanks.
    It can also be done by an apprentice with a hacksaw... less than a days work, but "maybe" it was done in the bandsaw.
    It certainly can be done, but Bronze wants a slower speed than brass so likely not an ordinary "woodshop" bandsaw. Some bronzes want slower cutting speeds than steel.
    When I made it I just split the round creating two by taking the kerf from the middle and hoping no one would call me on the fact that it was not "exactly" half-round. It looked good, nobody noticed and I have done some stem bands that way simply because I can!

A bandsaw was an unthinkable luxury for most of us in the 1950's. I lusted for a simple "sabre-saw" and a powered hand-drill!

(Which reminds me of a story told by my father, who encouraged the use of a hacksaw. On a US navy ship they needed "chunks" of zinc added to the boilers. As punishment, sailors were given the endless job of sawing 1" thick strips from a 4 foot by 8 foot zinc plate then cutting it into chunks. It is possible he was just trying to encourage me to keep going with whatever my task at hand was. The tale worked because the thought of cutting by hand a 4 foot strip of metal an inch thick has stayed with me, making many task seem petty by comparison!)

I have now finished varnishing the external hull (and the mast, boom, rudder, tiller, and centreboard...) and I thought that I might show off...

Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 11-12-2017 at 01:51 PM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 11-12-2017 at 01:48 PM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

The centreboard gasket is uncut because I intend to fill the centrecase with boat soup once she is right way up again...

OK; I will come clean. The final, fourteenth, coat of varnish was not put on by me but by Lee Dunnett, Harry King and Sons' professional painter, who "always wanted to do a really nice dinghy"... - and didn't he do a wonderful job!
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 11-12-2017 at 03:01 PM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    The centreboard gasket is uncut because I intend to fill the centrecase with boat soup once she is right way up again...

OK; I will come clean. The final, fourteenth, coat of varnish was not put on by me but by Lee Dunnett, Harry King and Sons' professional painter, who "always wanted to do a really nice dinghy"... - and didn't he do a wonderful job!

Outstanding work.
    They do say that it's the preparation that makes the finish!
    BTW, this is a great thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Excellent varnish job!