Thread: PNW Save-A-Classic

Default PNW Save-A-Classic

For some reason, the Washington State DNR seems to have come into possession of FLYING GULL ex-AWAB (Sparkman & Stephens design #247 aka "Crusailer 55", a ketch-rigged motor sailor 55 ft LOA), built 1940 as 1 of 2 built to that designThey are trying to unload her at auction.

http://sparkmanstephens.blogspot.com...sailer-55.html

https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/al...3D&auc=1956367

Looks like she might be a nice boat for the right person.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Default Re: PNW Save-A-Classic

This is the boat from which a crazed guy opened fire in Eagle Harbor last summer. He fired 200 rounds at other boats, the shore, and the responding officers. He was shot and killed by the police.

http://www.kitsapsun.com/story/news/...ey=&autologin=
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    This is the boat from which a crazed guy opened fire in Eagle Harbor last summer. He fired 200 rounds at other boats, the shore, and the responding officers. He was shot and killed by the police.

http://www.kitsapsun.com/story/news/...ey=&autologin=

Really? This is/was that nutter's boat? How did the DNR wind up with it?

Nothing that a few dutchmen shouldn't be able to fix, eh? Might want to burn a few bunches of sweetgrass, before re-launching her, that ugh. Never hurts to placate the gods.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

So, are those portholes or cannon holes?

Chip

Hat dang, what a beauty. I sure wish I'd won the lottery LAST week... instead of next week. I'd snag that beauty in a heartbeat.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    Really? This is/was that nutter's boat? How did the DNR wind up with it?

Nothing that a few dutchmen shouldn't be able to fix, eh? Might want to burn a few bunches of sweetgrass, before re-launching her, that ugh. Never hurts to placate the gods.
    I suspect he had no next of kin who would take the boat and so the boat became the property of the state as a derelict.

https://www.dnr.wa.gov/programs-and-...relict-vessels

This boat has been sitting at one of the WSF docks since the incident, which just happens to be directly across the harbor from where I keep Marianita. If anything it has been suffering from benign neglect, I'm glad they are selling her off before she has a chance to fill up with rainwater.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

I saw her tied there when we spent a night this summer in Eagle Harbor. And yes, DNR wants to get boats off its hands before they deteriorate

I just went through the pictures posted by the DNR auction site. The boat looks to have been reasonably well cared for though without the ability to survey a 77 year old boat there is an awful lot of risk in bidding on her. Currently the high bid is only $4050....my wife thinks Flying Gull is a beautiful boat and is irritated I didn't make it down there to look things over!
    Steve

R.D Culler

Damn. Could they haul it out and wait a year? Then I could buy it!!
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

Local news article with a few more details: http://komonews.com/news/local/for-s...-harbor-gunman

Sounds like a killer deal.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Sounds like a killer deal.

Kevin

"killer" is probably not a good word to use with this boat

Flying Gull was still tied up in Eagle Harbor last night but it appears "mdjones1776" bought her for $10,478 on the 25th.
    Steve

R.D Culler

Once you chase off the bad juju spirits and patch the bullet holes, you will have a fine vessel

Greetings,

I was the winning bidder for the Flying Gull, I have had her hauled out and surveyed and we are working on hull sanding and painting right now. I won't go into the the DNR process unless asked because it was several weeks of frustrations before she was released. I am not a sailor, always had power boats before so the insurance companies are not happy. I have enough experience repairing old boats to get her saved and to be honest, a lot of what's wrong was just neglect in the last few years. She has to go back in the water in 9 days and then I will be focused on the deck leaks which are mostly loose stantion screws, OH yea and the 20 or so bullet holes, 2 windows and the door which was busted a while ago. I covered her up with tarps and stopped almost all of the leaking when she was hauled out in November. I live in Oak Harbor now and I am looking for a moorage or yard, maybe Anacortes. Oh and my wife is working on the bad juju. The DNR did a good job cleaning up the mess, so I had really no evidence of the previous owner.

cheers Mike

It appears that you have got yourself a helluva boat for not much coin, Mike. I hope there are no bad surprises in your future, and that you have fun learning to sail her. Pretty boat.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Congrats! Glad she's going to a good home. I'm sure you'll have no problem finding volunteers willing to coach you through the "learning-to-sail" thing

She is a beaut! Best of luck and share some of her progress and adventures here, if your time permits.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Good on you. I hope you let us in on her progress. She is worthy for many reasons.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Quote Originally Posted by mdjones1776 View Post
    Greetings,

I was the winning bidder for the Flying Gull, I have had her hauled out and surveyed and we are working on hull sanding and painting right now. I won't go into the the DNR process unless asked because it was several weeks of frustrations before she was released. I am not a sailor, always had power boats before so the insurance companies are not happy. I have enough experience repairing old boats to get her saved and to be honest, a lot of what's wrong was just neglect in the last few years. She has to go back in the water in 9 days and then I will be focused on the deck leaks which are mostly loose stantion screws, OH yea and the 20 or so bullet holes, 2 windows and the door which was busted a while ago. I covered her up with tarps and stopped almost all of the leaking when she was hauled out in November. I live in Oak Harbor now and I am looking for a moorage or yard, maybe Anacortes. Oh and my wife is working on the bad juju. The DNR did a good job cleaning up the mess, so I had really no evidence of the previous owner.

cheers Mike
    Here's a photo after the painting was finish for the hull, my wife did the sanding and painting while I screwed around. Currently we are stuck on the guest dock, still don't have a destination or insurance

4212018 paint AWAB05.jpg

Very nice! Sounds like she's in a much happier situation. Looking forward to more pics

Wow. Really pretty boat plus a pedigree and a great story for her logbook. I look forward to seeing her in the islands.

Don''t disguise all the bullet holes, they are part of the history, patina if you like, of the boat. And think of the even taller stories you can base on one or two.

Any bullets?

Lovely boat - good luck!!

Rick