Results 1 to 31 of 31

Thread: PNW Save-A-Classic

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    10,099

    Default PNW Save-A-Classic

    For some reason, the Washington State DNR seems to have come into possession of FLYING GULL ex-AWAB (Sparkman & Stephens design #247 aka "Crusailer 55", a ketch-rigged motor sailor 55 ft LOA), built 1940 as 1 of 2 built to that designThey are trying to unload her at auction.

    http://sparkmanstephens.blogspot.com...sailer-55.html

    https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/al...3D&auc=1956367



    Looks like she might be a nice boat for the right person.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,113

    Default Re: PNW Save-A-Classic

    This is the boat from which a crazed guy opened fire in Eagle Harbor last summer. He fired 200 rounds at other boats, the shore, and the responding officers. He was shot and killed by the police.

    http://www.kitsapsun.com/story/news/...ey=&autologin=
    Elect a clown expect a circus

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    10,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    This is the boat from which a crazed guy opened fire in Eagle Harbor last summer. He fired 200 rounds at other boats, the shore, and the responding officers. He was shot and killed by the police.

    http://www.kitsapsun.com/story/news/...ey=&autologin=


    Really? This is/was that nutter's boat? How did the DNR wind up with it?

    Nothing that a few dutchmen shouldn't be able to fix, eh? Might want to burn a few bunches of sweetgrass, before re-launching her, that ugh. Never hurts to placate the gods.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    519

    Default Re: PNW Save-A-Classic

    So, are those portholes or cannon holes?

    Chip

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    49,248

    Default Re: PNW Save-A-Classic

    Hat dang, what a beauty. I sure wish I'd won the lottery LAST week... instead of next week. I'd snag that beauty in a heartbeat.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

    "It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,113

    Default Re: PNW Save-A-Classic

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    Really? This is/was that nutter's boat? How did the DNR wind up with it?

    Nothing that a few dutchmen shouldn't be able to fix, eh? Might want to burn a few bunches of sweetgrass, before re-launching her, that ugh. Never hurts to placate the gods.
    I suspect he had no next of kin who would take the boat and so the boat became the property of the state as a derelict.

    https://www.dnr.wa.gov/programs-and-...relict-vessels
    Elect a clown expect a circus

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bainbridge Island WA
    Posts
    2,550

    Default Re: PNW Save-A-Classic

    This boat has been sitting at one of the WSF docks since the incident, which just happens to be directly across the harbor from where I keep Marianita. If anything it has been suffering from benign neglect, I'm glad they are selling her off before she has a chance to fill up with rainwater.
    Steve

    Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,113

    Default Re: PNW Save-A-Classic

    I saw her tied there when we spent a night this summer in Eagle Harbor. And yes, DNR wants to get boats off its hands before they deteriorate
    Elect a clown expect a circus

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bainbridge Island WA
    Posts
    2,550

    Default Re: PNW Save-A-Classic

    I just went through the pictures posted by the DNR auction site. The boat looks to have been reasonably well cared for though without the ability to survey a 77 year old boat there is an awful lot of risk in bidding on her. Currently the high bid is only $4050....my wife thinks Flying Gull is a beautiful boat and is irritated I didn't make it down there to look things over!
    Steve

    Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lynden, Wa
    Posts
    3,179

    Default Re: PNW Save-A-Classic

    Damn. Could they haul it out and wait a year? Then I could buy it!!
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

    Ben Sebens, RN

    15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    174

    Default Re: PNW Save-A-Classic

    Local news article with a few more details: http://komonews.com/news/local/for-s...-harbor-gunman

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Quogue,NY
    Posts
    15,857

    Default Re: PNW Save-A-Classic

    Sounds like a killer deal.

    Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,113

    Default Re: PNW Save-A-Classic

    Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Sounds like a killer deal.

    Kevin

    "killer" is probably not a good word to use with this boat
    Elect a clown expect a circus

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bainbridge Island WA
    Posts
    2,550

    Default Re: PNW Save-A-Classic

    Flying Gull was still tied up in Eagle Harbor last night but it appears "mdjones1776" bought her for $10,478 on the 25th.
    Steve

    Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,113

    Default Re: PNW Save-A-Classic

    Once you chase off the bad juju spirits and patch the bullet holes, you will have a fine vessel
    Elect a clown expect a circus

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Oak Harbor, Wa, USA
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: PNW Save-A-Classic

    Greetings,

    I was the winning bidder for the Flying Gull, I have had her hauled out and surveyed and we are working on hull sanding and painting right now. I won't go into the the DNR process unless asked because it was several weeks of frustrations before she was released. I am not a sailor, always had power boats before so the insurance companies are not happy. I have enough experience repairing old boats to get her saved and to be honest, a lot of what's wrong was just neglect in the last few years. She has to go back in the water in 9 days and then I will be focused on the deck leaks which are mostly loose stantion screws, OH yea and the 20 or so bullet holes, 2 windows and the door which was busted a while ago. I covered her up with tarps and stopped almost all of the leaking when she was hauled out in November. I live in Oak Harbor now and I am looking for a moorage or yard, maybe Anacortes. Oh and my wife is working on the bad juju. The DNR did a good job cleaning up the mess, so I had really no evidence of the previous owner.

    cheers Mike

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Pleasant Valley NS Canada
    Posts
    15,596

    Default Re: PNW Save-A-Classic

    It appears that you have got yourself a helluva boat for not much coin, Mike. I hope there are no bad surprises in your future, and that you have fun learning to sail her. Pretty boat.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St. Helens, Oregon
    Posts
    1,197

    Default Re: PNW Save-A-Classic

    Congrats! Glad she's going to a good home. I'm sure you'll have no problem finding volunteers willing to coach you through the "learning-to-sail" thing

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Quogue,NY
    Posts
    15,857

    Default Re: PNW Save-A-Classic

    She is a beaut! Best of luck and share some of her progress and adventures here, if your time permits.

    Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alameda, CA
    Posts
    11,181

    Default Re: PNW Save-A-Classic

    Good on you. I hope you let us in on her progress. She is worthy for many reasons.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Oak Harbor, Wa, USA
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: PNW Save-A-Classic

    Quote Originally Posted by mdjones1776 View Post
    Greetings,

    I was the winning bidder for the Flying Gull, I have had her hauled out and surveyed and we are working on hull sanding and painting right now. I won't go into the the DNR process unless asked because it was several weeks of frustrations before she was released. I am not a sailor, always had power boats before so the insurance companies are not happy. I have enough experience repairing old boats to get her saved and to be honest, a lot of what's wrong was just neglect in the last few years. She has to go back in the water in 9 days and then I will be focused on the deck leaks which are mostly loose stantion screws, OH yea and the 20 or so bullet holes, 2 windows and the door which was busted a while ago. I covered her up with tarps and stopped almost all of the leaking when she was hauled out in November. I live in Oak Harbor now and I am looking for a moorage or yard, maybe Anacortes. Oh and my wife is working on the bad juju. The DNR did a good job cleaning up the mess, so I had really no evidence of the previous owner.

    cheers Mike
    Here's a photo after the painting was finish for the hull, my wife did the sanding and painting while I screwed around. Currently we are stuck on the guest dock, still don't have a destination or insurance

    4212018 paint AWAB05.jpg

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St. Helens, Oregon
    Posts
    1,197

    Default Re: PNW Save-A-Classic

    Very nice! Sounds like she's in a much happier situation. Looking forward to more pics

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    14,269

    Default Re: PNW Save-A-Classic

    Wow. Really pretty boat plus a pedigree and a great story for her logbook. I look forward to seeing her in the islands.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    50,907

    Default Re: PNW Save-A-Classic

    Don''t disguise all the bullet holes, they are part of the history, patina if you like, of the boat. And think of the even taller stories you can base on one or two.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    17,391

    Default Re: PNW Save-A-Classic

    Any bullets?

    Lovely boat - good luck!!

    Rick

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Oak Harbor, Wa, USA
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: PNW Save-A-Classic

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Any bullets?

    Lovely boat - good luck!!

    Rick
    I am back out of the water at Port Townsend, Boat Haven Boatyard. Finally a semi permanent rest. I have over 20 bullet holes, 2 in the hull at the waterline fixed, one in the mizzen mast , 4 windows need replacing the glass, with 2 more that have billet holes without cracking. We,my wife, I mean is taking the shellac off with a heat gun as we(she) has already painted the deck and cabin roof. To be clear, I do the logistics and purchasing and establish the technique we are going to use.
    Today I had a major victory, after 3 visits to measure and design a tool to crank the engine over, today it worked and I was able to verify that the Buda is not seized up. I have the new 32 volt charger charging overnight tonight.
    Port Townsend was a relief, I was run out of the Port of Everett because they make their money on quick liftouts and returns. I arranged a tow to Anacortes but they backed out because they don't lift WOOD boats anymore, So we redirected to Port Townsend as a last resort before anchoring off with no power somewhere. Thank God for the Shipwright Guild keeping things real

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    17,391

    Default Re: PNW Save-A-Classic

    What a story this boat has! And you!!

    Rick

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St. Helens, Oregon
    Posts
    1,197

    Default Re: PNW Save-A-Classic

    Looking forward to more pics. Which yard are you in up there? We'll be up for the Festival. I suspect if you're there with a project list over the weekend you'll have a bunch of volunteers!

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    NW Washington State
    Posts
    52

    Default Re: PNW Save-A-Classic

    A lovely design beautifully built with a wild provenance! You'll be both skipper and curator everywhere you take her! We'll be looking for you out on the salt chuck....
    --​Anson, M/V Kingfisher

    Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Bellingham, Washington USA
    Posts
    230

    Default Re: PNW Save-A-Classic

    From my experience you are in good hands in PT. Fine bunch of shipwrights up there. Don't want to haul a wood boat??? Are you kidding me?

    Your insurance problem -- I have dealt with Hagerty Marine for a long time -- never had a claim, but their other services are great.

    https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/cl...boat-insurance

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    24,280

    Default Re: PNW Save-A-Classic

    Quote Originally Posted by mdjones1776 View Post
    I am back out of the water at Port Townsend, Boat Haven Boatyard. Finally a semi permanent rest. I have over 20 bullet holes, 2 in the hull at the waterline fixed, one in the mizzen mast , 4 windows need replacing the glass, with 2 more that have billet holes without cracking. We,my wife, I mean is taking the shellac off with a heat gun as we(she) has already painted the deck and cabin roof. To be clear, I do the logistics and purchasing and establish the technique we are going to use.
    Today I had a major victory, after 3 visits to measure and design a tool to crank the engine over, today it worked and I was able to verify that the Buda is not seized up. I have the new 32 volt charger charging overnight tonight.
    Port Townsend was a relief, I was run out of the Port of Everett because they make their money on quick liftouts and returns. I arranged a tow to Anacortes but they backed out because they don't lift WOOD boats anymore, So we redirected to Port Townsend as a last resort before anchoring off with no power somewhere. Thank God for the Shipwright Guild keeping things real
    Congratulations! I'm glad to hear she's in good hands. You might take a sailing class, get qualified in keelboats for charter, that should make the insurance company happier. You'll find the motion is very different with the sails up, and motorsailing with sails and power is rather more pleasant than just powering in a displacement hull.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •