Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 16 lyss #993

Default Re: 16 lyss #993

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus71 View Post
    At the risk of sounding completely clueless, what is a plunge tool?
    Hey Maximus! It's an oscillating tool with a narrow saw attachment.

plung tool 1 of 2.jpg
    plunge tool 2 of 2.jpg

Looking good, gotta love big jumps of visible progress.

I guess the name plunge tool comes from the ability to make plunge cuts? I have one of those too, very handy for lots of stuff. I used mine to make relief cuts in the butt blocks to let the chine logs and the inwales go through. It also has a nifty triangle sanding attachment that is good for getting into small nooks and crannies.

Makes perfect sense. Those are handy tools.

The boat is looking good. Very interested to see how you fit it out. When I finally get to my build, I'm seriously considering dual side consoles. Going to build a couple of scale models to work out the interior before committing to a full scale build.

there is a half moon blade for those tools which will cut the bottom while runnung flatish along the side panel

or you can use a router w/ a 1/4 roundover bit and a roler bearing on the bottom to get darn close to flush requiring only sanding flush

just a lazy old man's 2 worth

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

What brand MDO are you using? My local Lowes has Roseburg Duragard which I thought was supposed to be a good on, but I see tons of voids in the inner layers of ply along the edges. I don't see any voids in your pictures. Wondering if they provide a lesser quality product than what they provide to true lumberyards? The cost is certainly less at Lowes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyelife View Post
    What brand MDO are you using? My local Lowes has Roseburg Duragard which I thought was supposed to be a good on, but I see tons of voids in the inner layers of ply along the edges. I don't see any voids in your pictures. Wondering if they provide a lesser quality product than what they provide to true lumberyards? The cost is certainly less at Lowes.
    I'm not sure what the brand is, but the receipt from Curtis Lumber in Albany, NY says "Medium Dens Ext Good 2S". The price was $60 per sheet for 1/2" and $75 for 3/4". I hope this helps!

New Years Eve the boat was turned over.

boat flipped over.jpg

looking good! you are making great progress!

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    there is a half moon blade for those tools which will cut the bottom while runnung flatish along the side panel

or you can use a router w/ a 1/4 roundover bit and a roler bearing on the bottom to get darn close to flush requiring only sanding flush

just a lazy old man's 2 worth

sw
    I used a router that I mounted on a little sled with wedges that matched the angle between the deck and the side. With a flush trim bearing bit it worked almost perfectly. Just make sure all your screw holes are filled or you can gouge it (don't ask how I know).