Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An Iceboat, with wing-sail maybe?

Default Re: An Iceboat, with wing-sail maybe?

So far no one has broken a Cheapskate, the 2x4 design with a Sunfish sail. To the designer's surprise, but he is an old hand, sailing iceboats for some 50 years. What surprised him was that the unsophisticated shape of a Sunfish sail made it easy to bleed off power when it was blowing hard, but the relatively large sail area kept the boat moving in light air.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Cheapscate was one of the designs that insipred us to just put together materials we had available in the shed, mount some angle iron on it and sail .

What is the sail area on the sunfish sail Cheapscate use? Our sail is close to 6 square meters...

A little recap from 7 months ago. 7 months of soft-water sailing that is, but now we are starting to focus on hard-water again. We are doing some painting and getting our iceboats ready for the season. We had a short period with cold weather, and a friend have already sailed hes DN on the lake here (I had to go to work) But now its warmer temperatures again. Not the best quality video, I think I need to buy a gopro. My son have a decent drone, and we are hoping for som drone video of iceboat this vinter.

Great video, thanks for sharing.

Pretty neat. The only part that I find cringe-worthy is the open space beneath your heels. If you hit a pressure ridge, crack or ice fishing hole at speed, your foot can sometimes slide off of its brace and your heel can hit the ice. On occasion, it can then get slammed back toward you with a lot of force. At higher speeds, it might be enough to screw up your knee or even break something. A webbing strap or small wooden shelf under your heels would prevent this and is worth adding. My old Lockley had a similar issue and after you have had your leg jammed back toward your chest a couple of times at 50 mph you do something to prevent it in the future.

Thanks for the video. No ice here in Texas.

Top speed so far is 30 knots, so enough to break a leg. I believe some floorboards is a good idea. 😉

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk

Yeah, that's enough to get hurt, so it's worth a bit of prevention. The other "exciting" bit about it on my boat was that the faster you went, the more twitchy the foot steering would become. If one foot suddenly got bounced off its pedal, the other one invariably and instantly took over before you even had time to think about it and it tried to make a pretty scary U-turn at a really high rate of speed.

The big old Arrow two-seater that we have now has a tiller, which is a lot more manageable as the speed picks up, plus it has a mainsheet cleat on top of the tiller's aft end, which is very convenient.

arrow.jpg

looks great, and I like that tiller with the cleat. Another iceboat here has a combination of foot pedal and tiller. He says he uses the feet most of the time. I consider making a tiller mounted on the foot pedal, to have both...

This is pretty much the way most tillers are rigged. It's pretty simple. This is a little stitch and glue boat I designed a while back. I don't know if I'll ever get around to building one, but since the Arrow's tiller works well, I figured I'd just use the same type of system.

bbrd.jpg

very cool design!

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk