Thread: Star watching

Default Star watching

My 3 yr old grandaughter and I watched the stars come out tonight under a down comforter. She likes punching pillows and watching stars.

Default Re: Star watching

That's a beautiful thing to share with kids.

Do you know the names & stories about the stars?

Star Names: Their Lore and Meaning (LINK)

Here is an unusual book for anyone who appreciates the beauty and wonder of the stars. Solidly based upon years of thorough research into astronomical writings and observations of the ancient Chinese, Arabic, Euphrates, Hellenic, and Roman civilizations, it is an informative, non-technical excursion into the vast heritage of folklore and history associated with the heavenly bodies. From his studies of the writings of scores of ancient astronomers, the author has come up with a fascinating history of the names various cultures have given the constellations, the literary and folkloristic uses that have been made of the stars through the centuries, and the often incredible associations that ancient peoples established with the stars.

#include [std-disclaimer]

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    My 3 yr old grandaughter and I watched the stars come out tonight under a down comforter. She likes punching pillows and watching stars.
    Maryland? I grew up in the Baltimore & Annapolis area. I don't think I ever saw the Milky Way until I got far away. It might be visible occasionally on the Chesapeake Bay, but usually it's too hazy and overcast. And the urban areas have far too much light pollution. It wasn't until I got either to the southwest or north of Boston that I started seeing it on a regular basis.

I hope she maintains her interest. No matter what direction a life may take, looking up at night is one of the great inspirations and joys of life.

What fun! I took Zoe the Wonder Girl to the Science Museum tonight to see the dinosaurs again, she's very fond of 'em. I asked her if you look at their teeth, can you tell what they ate? She thought about it a while and said 'That one has sharp pointy teeth and so it ate meat. That one has flat teeth so it ate plants."
    She's four. God help us.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Maryland? I grew up in the Baltimore & Annapolis area. I don't think I ever saw the Milky Way until I got far away. It might be visible occasionally on the Chesapeake Bay, but usually it's too hazy and overcast. And the urban areas have far too much light pollution. It wasn't until I got either to the southwest or north of Boston that I started seeing it on a regular basis.

I hope she maintains her interest. No matter what direction a life may take, looking up at night is one of the great inspirations and joys of life.
    She's in Tennessee far from a big city.

What's the waiting period on grandkids. When do I put in my request?

I dunno, but my mantra for the last week has been sirius,canopus, archenar. And a bit of southern cross when it deigned to rise above the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    What's the waiting period on grandkids. When do I put in my request?
    Sometimes, life moves quick!

That depends.... My step-daughter had her first at 19, Ken was only 41 years old when he became a Grandfather. His family are mountain folk, so the generations are a little more compact.

We have family photos of 5 generations together.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    What's the waiting period on grandkids.
    Nine months, generally, occasionally a little less.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

The Leonid meteor shower comes around the dark of the Moon next month. Almost always a good show.

Novemberís Leonid meteor shower (LINK)

Leonid Radiant

Novemberís wonderful Leonid meteor shower happens every year Around November 17 or 18, as our world crosses the orbital path of Comet Tempel-Tuttle. Like many comets, Tempel-Tuttle litters its orbit with bits of debris. Itís when this cometary debris enters Earthís atmosphere, and vaporizes, that we see the Leonid meteor shower. In 2017, the peak night of the shower is expected from midnight to dawn on Friday and Saturday mornings (November 17 and 18). Best yet, there is no moon to intrude on the Leonid meteor shower in 2017. Although this shower is known for its periodic storms, no Leonid storm is expected this year.

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)