Thread: Boat timeshare

Default Boat timeshare

There's an outfit called Freedom Boat Club that just opened a franchise here. It's sorta like a time share. They have a variety of.boats, all powered by internal combustion, ranging from runabout ski boat.types, to open boats for fishing and small cabin cruisers. Use them whenever you want. Pay $3,000 to join and around $300 a month. I assume, you have to pay for fuel used. I don't know the details about hours per month.
    Seems like a lot of money, but then again I'm a cheapskate.
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

Default Re: Boat timeshare

There's a branch at my own marina. No small cabin cruisers here... just small runabouts for fishing, or just cruising the bay.

I think the price is unreasonably high, IMHO... you could buy a small boat and lease a mooring, for not that much more than the total price.
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

There is a sailing co-op in Port Moody, near Vancouver. I believe it is much less expensive. But you have to turn out a couple times a year and help with maintenance, and there is a waiting list to join.

http://www.barnetsailing.bc.ca/stati...iling_2017.pdf

There is at least one more co-op, down in White Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    There's an outfit called Freedom Boat Club that just opened a franchise here. It's sorta like a time share. They have a variety of.boats, all powered by internal combustion, ranging from runabout ski boat.types, to open boats for fishing and small cabin cruisers. Use them whenever you want. Pay $3,000 to join and around $300 a month. I assume, you have to pay for fuel used. I don't know the details about hours per month.
    Seems like a lot of money, but then again I'm a cheapskate.
    What does it cost to rent a slip in Tacoma? I'd bet at least $200 per month, maybe more. If they have power boats, what does an outboard or an I/O cost? Either one on a $3000 boat could cost you lot's more and at an inopportune time too. Add in couple of hundred per year for insurance. Then there's registration and maintenance. When you go to sell your boat you'll probably knock $3000 off your purchase price anyway.

I'd say they've suitably priced the service for the Puget Sound megalopolis - peanuts to pay for a busy working man, and he gets to sleep soundly when it's blowing a gale, and never a worry during a January freeze up.

The kids were part of a boat sharing deal in Florida (west coast) up until a year ago when they moved to the other side. 2 boats, both Catalinas - a 32 & a 36. $300/month got them at least a week to 10 days (usually more) on one boat or the other. No initiation fee, 2 days/year of helping with cleanup/maintenance. Everyone was expected to leave the boat as clean as when they got it & most did.

We sailed the 36 down to Key West once & I went up the mast before we left just 'cause. There were some issues & my fixing them got them 1/2 off on the next month.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green