Thread: Shelves

Default Shelves

My wife b wants me to make a set of these shelves. How do you suppose they are attached to the wall?
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

Default Re: Shelves

my guess is that the pic is taken at that angle so you don't see the fasteners under the 2 peaks in the middle

but i think you could make totally hidden fasteners. put a crew head slot plate on the back of two of the angled pieces near the top. make sure they are both on the same angle so when you put it over the screw heads in the wall it will slide down on a 45 into place.

Find studs, drive 1/2" rebar into them (with pilot hole). Transfer the rebar pin locations to the back of the shelf, drive it into place. Install front trim.

Very very strong. I've done it for big exposed floating shelves in a kitchen.

Pretty poorly done instructions, but here's one way. You should be able to adapt from here.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...ating-Shelves/

If the use of the shelves is like that in the OP, they would probably hang on a couple of pins just fine. Make a half inch deep hole centered at each of the two apexes. Put a nail in the wall like for hanging a picture, leave about three eighths showing, and mount the shelf, nail in hole. Done, five minutes. If the shelves are reasonably well built and solid, such an arrangement would hold a set of encyclopedias forever, or until you need an encyclopedia again, whichever comes first.

Be advised: those are *very small* books -- they literally fit in my shirt pocket, they're a series of tiny hardback classic reprints put out by Barnes & Noble.

“What use is a house if you haven’t got a tolerable planet to put it on?”

~~~ Henry David Thoreau